Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Approved Member

Default What's currently stopping you ??

..from flying / enjoying / being productive in CLOD more ?

For me it's

(1) Strange AI, i'm half way through creating a scenario but have stopped because the AI doesn't act like I expect. "Death of 141 Sqn" has Defiants being attacked by a gaggle of 109s but the deffy's keep climbing when being attacked and the gunners ignore close attacking aircraft to concentate on those in the distance. You'd think this would lead to 141 dimise .. but no, the fast zooming 109s cannot handle the slowing, climbing Deffys and either - (1) crash into them, (2) crash into each other, or (3) just zoom past. Maybe the slow climb is good tactics for normal fighters against fast zooming 109s ?? but it's not working for defiants. Actually i just retested this, the deffys were on average skill rating. I just now rerated them all to aces and ... all deffy's when being attacked barrel-rolled themselves into the ocean .. not one survived ! yes they shot down 2 109s but 6 defiants are now sleeping with the fishes whereas, as average pilots most survived ????????????????????

What needs to be fixed.

(1) Defiants do NOT climb when being attacked from 6 oclock high, they let the fools come on.
(2) Defiant gunners do NOT concentrate on far off aircraft, ignoring the enemy right on it's tail.
(3) expert enemy pilots do NOT attack the defiant from 6 oclock high !! fast zoom down, pull up and quick fire from 6 oclock low, then pulling left or right.

How could this be easily achieved?

(1) Defiant AI should be similar to bomber - Whimpy? when being attacked.
(2) Users should be able to write their own AI code

(2) Poor performance, when creating Videos (fraps), recording performance suffers especially when explosions / smoke happens, frame rates can dive giving a poor recording result.

What needs to be fixed.

(1) better multi-thread performance
(2) SLI / Hotlink ability.

Apart from the 2 stoppers above, the game is great I enjoy playing it !

.....--oOo-- --oOo-- HE-111 --oOo-- --oOo--.....
========================================
-oOo- Intel i7-2600K (non-clocked) -oOo- GA-P67A
-oOo- DF 85 full tower -oOo- 1000W corsair
-oOo- 8 GB 1600Hz -oOo- 2 x GTX 580 1.5M (295.73)
-oOo- 240 SSD -oOo- W7 64bit
-oOo- PB2700 LED 2560 x 1440 6ms 60Hz -oOo-
========================================

Last edited by He111; 09-12-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:10 AM
Approved Member

A good starter topic.
Currently I Alt-X my way out of the game and do not come back to it for the following:

Poor overall performance with visuals that are disproportionate to the strength of hardware required to run it.

Exceptionally poor AI voice acting

Flickering shadows

Exceptionally poor AI behavior

Badly implemented FM's that make CEM unrewarding

Unpleasant global colour palette

Ugly GUI with irritating splash screens

Insufficient ships to represent the convoy phase of the battle

Insufficient resource management to represent anything more than skirmishes (come back in ten years for Adler Tag)
Old 09-12-2012, 03:31 AM
Approved Member

I'm waiting for it to get out of beta, simple as that.

There are too many problems, all of which we know, to list.

I miss "flying" but it's simply too frustrating, and I'm not going to muck about with all the manual beta installs.

Call me when the next official patch is released.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 09-12-2012, 04:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post

I miss "flying" but it's simply too frustrating, and I'm not going to muck about with all the manual beta installs.

Pretty much this. Was expecting IL2:1946 with prettier visuals, less planes, more bells and whistles. What I got was a buggy mess, that has a sad excuse for single player, and features that dont work.

To add insult to injury instead of completing what people bought, they are already making a new game. Funny, and sad.

A modern era WWII sim game aint happening soon it seems.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:27 AM
Approved Member

The only thing stopping me is otw to me in the mail... an adaptor for my joystick when it arrives..... god help everyone*

* subject to who im up against, how much alcohol has been consumed.... an more than likely other things
Old 09-12-2012, 05:50 AM
Approved Member

-Poor AI: That don't use same physics as human. Strange bomber gunner behavior.

-Poor FMs and DMs: RAF planes that are neither fun to fight against or in. Far too slow, engines blowing up/overheating; Hurricane that can't turn to save it's life. Although much potential, DMs are screwed.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokitexas View Post
..To add insult to injury instead of completing what people bought, they are already making a new game. Funny, and sad...
I was absolutely livid about this. I don't feel like the game has really even gotten that far into/or out of it's Beta period. Do half the radio commands still not work or am I stupid? In any case - I find it hard not to be disappointed that development of CoD may be coming to an end before it's really "there".

I remember when they said they'd fix SLI in a couple of weeks and there'd be new campaigns and so forth in the coming months (no sign of either). I hate that the planes don't work together with proper tactics from the time - which I feel should be a strong part of the mission flavour.. The campaign was really poor I thought.

If they'd have done a preorder/ paid alpha type setup, finished a couple of more study level plane simulations and the main game engine - and then followed up with strong DLC planes and campaigns.. I'd have been really into that. I feel like there's no point making missions right now in it's current state.

I'm just taken aback that this is the same people that made Il2 - and gave us so much over all that time. I'm sure they work hard - but ultimately perhaps there is just too much to do and fix - hence the mess - and actually marketing/ release approach - all of these things need to be changed to something like what ROF and DCS are doing in order to ever do this kind of game justice (sorry if this is heading off topic).
Old 09-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Approved Member

I think it's the lack of any real progress since release.
Performance problems aside, I was positive in the beginning that they would fix (replace) the user interface, well...

One of the features I used most in Il2/46 was probably the Quick Mission Builder, which is nowhere to be found in CLOD. Yes, there is a sort of alternative but the options are more limited, and again the UI is just..ugh.

Another thing is, I don't have quite so much spare time as I used to.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post

Same. I'll be back when the official patch is released. All my favorite servers use the latest beta and I can't fly online.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Approved Member

1.) No offline gameplay worth the designation (includes AI and FM issues, no campaign engine).
2.) Too much job-related stress leaves no creative energy to create own missions, not to mention my total failure at making sense out of C# code.
3.) General lack of interest in the BoB. I'm much more into the Eastern Front.
4.) Absolutely no interest in online flying.