Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:02 AM
Approved Member

Default Should jets explode?

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel that jets, such as the Me-262 should not explode under any circumstances once on fire. Modern jet fuels I know for a fact are similar to kerosene or diesel fuel, but a different level of refinement. Not sure about W.W.II era jet fuel but assuming it is similar, then your 262 should never explode after it catches on fire. It should burn like crazy but not explode. But in IL2, all jets can explode. Unlike petrol/gasoline, fuels of this type are not explosive, just extremely flammable. I was weirded out the first few times I flew the 262 when Forgotten Battles introduced this first jet to the game a long time ago, because it would explode and I always understood ( possibly wrongly ) that jet fuels are not explosive. There is a difference between highly flammable fuels and combustible ones. Right or wrong? I'm starting this debate, please post your opinion if you care to.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Approved Member

I think the engine explosion, at least in the Me-262, accomplishes something else: it models the weakening, and eventual failure of the spar from heat. Whether it comes off from an explosion or slow burn doesn't make a huge difference in the end (final result is a crater).

It would be cool to see this fixed, if true, but I don't have an opinion on this yet.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luno13 View Post
I think the engine explosion, at least in the Me-262, accomplishes something else: it models the weakening, and eventual failure of the spar from heat. Whether it comes off from an explosion or slow burn doesn't make a huge difference in the end (final result is a crater).

It would be cool to see this fixed, if true, but I don't have an opinion on this yet.
But this unpredictable explosion makes it hard to survive in a jet if the engine catches on fire. At least a slower burn would give you a chance to get back over to the friendly lines in some cases. Now you have to bail out.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Approved Member

Isn't it always the vapour that is leading to explosion? So half full tanks in planes can very easily explode.

----------------------------------------------
For bugreports, help and support contact:
daidalos.team@googlemail.com

For modelers - The IL-2 standard modeling specifications:
IL-Modeling Bible
Old 06-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Approved Member

Excess of kerosene, only means that it will burn for a while, until it is all consumed out. But if you shut the valve, there must not be any more kerosene flow. Engine may be caught into flames, but it appears more like a fuel tank going into flames than an engine.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJGr.Ost_Caspar View Post
Isn't it always the vapour that is leading to explosion? So half full tanks in planes can very easily explode.
No, because fuel vapour from fuels in the jet fuel/kerosene/diesel family are not explosive even in vapour form. And you are on the Daidalos team? This is truly sad.....
Old 06-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearfactor View Post
No, because fuel vapour from fuels in the jet fuel/kerosene/diesel family are not explosive even in vapour form. And you are on the Daidalos team? This is truly sad.....
Don't you like his cockpits?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

While knowledge about fuel explosions is no mandatory knowledge for membership in TD, I'm glad he's a member.

However, he's right and you are not. Kerosin and diesel fuel vapours are highly explosive. This is how a Diesel engine works in the first place, and if you doubt Kerosin / Jet explosions you might want to google TWA flight 800.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Should've said that to those people who died on TWA flight 800... Also, how do those diesel internal combustion engines work? The fuel mixture in the cylinder... what does it do? Ignites and expands - which is pretty much equal to exploding.

And you are allowed to write around forums without the almighty smiting you for extreme stupidity.... Now that is truly sad.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
When I was pumping Jet A-1 into the wings of a twin turbine from a 44 gallon drum on a trans-oceanic ferry flight with vapours aplenty circulating in the cabin, I took comfort in believing the same as you say.

Later I found the official explanation of the TWA FLight 800 crash contradicts this view.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_800