Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 05-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Default So how is this game?

Steam is another issue, I know about it and don`t like it, so no need to go into it here.

However, I`m interested to hear what is the general consensus on the successor to IL2? is it the amazing game we all expected and waited for, for years? Is it worth dropping 1946 for?

I would like a truthful as possible appreciation of the game please. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Approved Member

Save your soul while you can!!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

12 views one response that tells me very little.

I`ll keep waiting.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Approved Member

Cliffs of Dover hasn't gotten there yet. It's been out for just over a year, had several patches, plus currently an alpha patch that many of us are evaluating as I type this.

Obviously, I don't know you, nor do I know your expectations. You've chosen not to post your system specs -- fair enough, but it's an important consideration in that CoD is very demanding on a PC's resources.

I've flown many hundreds of hours online (according to Steam, anyway -- about 2 hrs/night) and certainly find it challenging, at times frustrating, sometimes hugely rewarding, and always fun. But you get back from it what you put into it. I could elaborate further, but there's no point.

If you are currently flying -- and enjoying -- 1946 then I would strongly recommend you stay with it for the foreseeable future. I honestly believe you will find CoD hugely disappointing in its current unfinished state (hence Doc's facetious, but wise, comment above). I sincerely believe that Cliffs of Dover will be THE WW2 combat flight sim to fly. We're still a long way from that point right now.

Snapper
Old 05-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Approved Member

You don't say whether you're asking for online or offline play, but if offline and/or mission building is your bag, go for it with the last official version.

As long as your pc is up to snuff, it's a great flight sim with flaws.

If it's online play you're after, stick with '46 for now. Most of the current CloD servers are running the last Beta patch, which has quite frankly ruined it for me for a variety of reasons, mainly getting a slideshow with any more than one on one combat and reduced graphics quality. Then there are the huge FM questions in the patch covered adequately elsewhere.

That said, I've just re-installed '46 for a look, and simply can't go back either I'm afraid.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Approved Member

Between IL2 46 DBW and this there is simply no comparison. DBW has more content, better FM's, stability, performance and ease of use that CoD simply does not have. For offline pilots particularly CoD is a waste if time in its current state. For airquake type stuff that goes on online though it seems to work just fine.
Simple answer is that 46 DBW works, CoD doesn't.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:30 AM
Approved Member

If you are a 46 fan....HSFX 6.0!!!!!!!! ...You can't go wrong
Old 06-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafireliv View Post
....I would like a truthful as possible appreciation of the game please. Thanks.
The game airplane graphics, ground object graphics, damage detail, damage model, underlying programming language that a (sophisticated) user can directly access and program, the "hidden potential" (= things that are not yet available to users) is mind blowing!

Now the "less good" news:
1. You need massive HW to make it run and enjoy the graphics. At least Quad-core CPU, Win7-64bit, 6-12Gb RAM (to make RAMDRIVE), and a ...graphics card!
The last one is a bit of a problem because the graphics card to play this game has not hit the market yet. The top of the range ATI & NV cards today do some good work but simply said, they are not there yet. Hopefully in September 2012 we will see the new top of the range NV GPU being able to handle the game but this is only speculation!

2. SLI does not "really" work. I does work but, you do not want it the way it does work...

3. "Three monitor view" does not work

4. AI control commands do not really work. This is the biggest turn off if you play offline

5. Enemy AI reactions leave a lot to be wished for

6. Some airplane flight models have some obscure performance variances from the historical "facts" and there is very litle transparency (there is no il2compare available)

7. Some bombers (HE111, JU8 have bugs in the handling of course-autopilot (JU8 or bombsight (HE111) and this makes level-bombing impractical.

8.-99. other minor things

100.-200. minor discussions on the quality of the fuel (see wikipedia for the word octanes) and the magical improvement it can bring to the performace of an airplane
[Athos runs for cover....]

~S~

Disclamer and small print: This is a personal view as requested by a fellow user and not a basis for discussion. So, if anybody has problems regarding ranking and priorities, sort it out among yourselves or look for answers in BlackSix's posts
Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Approved Member

I must have massive hardware then...
Old 06-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Approved Member

I had a Nvidia Geforce 4600 ti that was released after il2.

It was considered one of the great graphics cards ever created and was top of the line.

It could not run il2 at respectable frame rates imho (30-40fps)...didnt stop me from loving the sim though.

My brand new $2000 pc(not including gpu) was in many ways rendered obsolete as well, it was a P4 1.8 512 memory

Cliffs of Dover performance wise does run better on current hardware and maybe the patch will fix that but its more likely that the gpu to run CoD at MAX is not invented yet.
ASUS Sabertooth MB--Intel 2600k@4.7--EVGA GTX580 3GB--Corasir 1200 watt psu--Corsair 16gb 1866--Corsair H70 cooler--Corsair 650d case--OCZ Vertex 3--Track IR5--CH Eclipse Yoke--CH Trottle Quadrant--CH MFP--CH Rudders-MSFF2

Last edited by ATAG_MajorBorris; 06-28-2012 at 02:02 PM.