Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Approved Member

Default .50 cal?

am i the only one to find that the hitting power of the .50 cal is a bit soft? trying to shoot somebody down in a p-51 or f4u can be quite a struggle. i'm sure in reality it would not have been so. .50 cal is might large round. and 6 guns would have made quite a mess of an aircraft i would have thought.

anyway - just an observation. addicted to the game.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl E View Post
am i the only one to find that the hitting power of the .50 cal is a bit soft? trying to shoot somebody down in a p-51 or f4u can be quite a struggle. i'm sure in reality it would not have been so. .50 cal is might large round. and 6 guns would have made quite a mess of an aircraft i would have thought.

anyway - just an observation. addicted to the game.
I know how you feel. What matter is convergency. You should open fire from the range you have set convergence. If you have 250m as convergencesetting, all your shots will centre at 250m. If you fire from too far out, the bullet will not hit the center, but will hit the plane all more spread. Think of the damage if you are able to center all your six guns in on spot. ie engine or wing etc. Also, if you shoot from too far out, the time the bullets has before hitting target will be a factor. (Less damage on impact due to loss of speed). Also bullet drops because of gravity and speed. Try practise on convergenceshooting. Always aim a bit more ahead than you think you should aim. It also takes lots of time finding the right convergencesetting. Some like it at 150-200m, other likes to snipe and have it set on 350-400. Myself use 300m for .50 cal and 200m for smaller calibre. It´s all a matter of taste really.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:04 AM
Approved Member

I flew the P-51 a lot and I really like the 50s in the game. You usually have to aim a bit better than with most large-caliber-guns, but they are surely not undermodelled if used correctly.

(if at all the damage-model is undermodelled and of course the pilots are undermodelled. In RL if you shreddered a plane or got it smoking, it would retreat. In IL2 it fights back until it explodes and even if it turns and runs, some a$$hat will follow even wingless and burning wracks to get the final shot in and earn the 100 points.)

The circle of the P-51 is set to a FW-190 IIRC at 175 yards. As a yard is .9144 meters, you can set your convergence at 150-160meters. Now if the wingtips of a 190 touch the sides of the ring, with the fuselage in the center, you have a maximum kill chance and it mostly is a kill with a short burst at that range.

At ranges of 300m you can try sniping. In some very stable planes like the P-38 or a trimmed P-47 you can be lucky to get a Pilot-Kill or critical hit on controls or the engine, usually though, you see a lot of hits and small debris coming off, but do little damage.
The Cal50 bullets do their damage primarily through inertial energy, they lose effectiveness dramatically over that distance and they scatter a lot more. Convergence at 300m means that a lot less bullets actually hit the convergence-point than at 150m range.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Approved Member

Also if you go fast (very fast) the impact is harder. These are boom and zoom planes.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Approved Member

Check my signature for 'MUSTANG' video.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 04-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Approved Member

I think 0,50 cal are not undermodelled but i think pilot health is too good in game. Mostly attack from 0,50 cal from six o clock should heavy wounded or just killed pilot. No WW2 fighter have armour plate which could hold 0,50 bullet. In game you could shoting from 0,50 cal to e.x. Fw190 or 109 from six o clock and PK happend very rare. YOu could PK only from angle- deflection shoting in canopy. In WW2 P-51 and P-47 very often wounded or killed german pilots with such rear attacks. In game shoting from six o clock position is just wasting ammo should wounded or killed pilot but these doesn't happend :/