Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 05-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Approved Member

Default Spit1a > SpitII

Does anyone know the difference in performance...quick answer

Same engine/boost etc?

cheers
Old 05-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Approved Member

No Spitty fans here...?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:31 AM
Formula88

I play online and no servers run the Spit2 since apparently its faster AND more manueverable than the 109, if that helps. Also, the Hurricane>Spit1a since it accelerates faster, climbs better and is faster in level flight by around 15-20 MPH.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:19 AM
Approved Member

The Spit II and Bf-110 are the only ones getting historical performance at the moment (even though the 110 is modeled with the weaker engine variant when many were fitted with the better BD601Ns, it gets more or less correct performance for the engines it uses) ,almost everything else is slower than it should.

That should easily answer you question, Spit Mk.II is probably the best all around performer in the sim for now, until the rest of the FMs are adjusted and we get Mk.I variants with constant speed props.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
The Spit II and Bf-110 are the only ones getting historical performance at the moment (even though the 110 is modeled with the weaker engine variant when many were fitted with the better BD601Ns, it gets more or less correct performance for the engines it uses) ,almost everything else is slower than it should.

That should easily answer you question, Spit Mk.II is probably the best all around performer in the sim for now, until the rest of the FMs are adjusted and we get Mk.I variants with constant speed props.
I understand that but how much difference in RL which obviously will/should be in game was the performance between Spit1a to the SpitII and also do we know how much in game the 109 is underpowered?

Guess I thought I'd get a quick responce without trolling through loads of threads. Doesn't matter that much, just interested for future reference

Last edited by Ze-Jamz; 05-26-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Approved Member

Spit Ia feels a bit weird, setting prop-pitch to coarse rpms drop down to just under 2000, and I can't seem to get faster than 240mph in level flight at aboout 1000m height...
Old 05-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze-Jamz View Post
I understand that but how much difference in RL which obviously will/should be in game was the performance between Spit1a to the SpitII ..................
http://www.fourthfightergroup.com/eagles/spittest.html
Old 05-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze-Jamz View Post
I understand that but how much difference in RL which obviously will/should be in game was the performance between Spit1a to the SpitII and also do we know how much in game the is 109 underpowered?
In real life, there was no appreciable performance difference between the Spit I and II, as long as they had the same equipment, and same boost, fuel etc.

The airframes were very similiar, and the engine output was almost the same, the Spit II's Merlin had a marginally higher altitude performance, and a consequence, worse low altitude performance. But as I noted, the difference was completely insignificant - similiar differences were there between various Bf 109E variants with the old type and new type supercharger, for example. Both had pilot armor, armored windscreen and were (retro)fitted with CSP during the Battle. IMHO the only 'major' difference was the different starter system of the Mark II.

In the game the difference is due to that the Spit I variants appear to be modelled with 87 octane and lower engine outputs, while the Mark II with 100 octane and considerably higher engine outputs. Again in real life both types operated on both types of fuel, and then performance was similiar.
Il-2Bugtracker: Feature #200: Missing 100 octane subtypes of Bf 109E and Bf 110C http://www.il2bugtracker.com/issues/200
Il-2Bugtracker: Bug #415: Spitfire Mk I, Ia, and Mk II: Stability and Control http://www.il2bugtracker.com/issues/415

Kurfürst - Your resource site on Bf 109 performance! http://kurfurst.org