Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Approved Member

Default Tactics when outnumbered?

I've run into this a few times when the team battle kicks off with either an odd number of players, or over half the room choosing A or B. It never ends too well for the lesser team (and I'm usually on it).

No matter what you do, there will be an opponent or two that have nobody after them that are free to double up on your tail. I can manuever around all right, but as soon as I get to lining up for a shot my actions obviously become predictable (even worse when my target is in contact with my newly acquired tail!) and I get hammered.

I've tried running, double back in a hit and run fashion with some success.

I've tried just winging one of them but not shooting them all the way down so they fly around somewhat crippled, which actually buys you some time at any rate

Is there any good way to go on the offense when outnumbered? I was in a two on three this morning, my team mate was having an awful time of it (they dispatched him really quick each time) so it was 3 vs me a good portion of the match and it was ugly.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Approved Member

Best way: communicate. Me and Morgoth are frequently outnumbered, since we usually choose team B (for unknown reasons) and for some other unknown reason our team always has a quitter. What we do is just tell eachother if someone is on our tail, and pray the other is fast enough to shoot him down. Not a lot else you can do. It's really aggrevating, since 90% of the time you'll have someone on your tail when chasing another. Not pleasant.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Approved Member

If you can't out turn them drop to ground level and run, if they are faster than you then get as much speed as you can and go vertical and drop your throttle to 0, then let your plane stall and spin in a tail slide, use full rudder either direction so you don't go into a flat spin and go straight down, then resume trying to out turn.

If they are coming from different angles then watching that video about the B-17 dogfighting 17 zeros, and try the S manoeuvre so you always meet them head on so they have less time to fire upon you. Other than that either learn to use the rudder to out turn them, or Run.

Better yet get a team amte to come to your rescue and have them tell you which way to turn so that the following enemy(s) will show him their tail and he can take them out.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbuehler View Post
I've run into this a few times when the team battle kicks off with either an odd number of players, or over half the room choosing A or B. It never ends too well for the lesser team (and I'm usually on it).

No matter what you do, there will be an opponent or two that have nobody after them that are free to double up on your tail. I can manuever around all right, but as soon as I get to lining up for a shot my actions obviously become predictable (even worse when my target is in contact with my newly acquired tail!) and I get hammered.

I've tried running, double back in a hit and run fashion with some success.

I've tried just winging one of them but not shooting them all the way down so they fly around somewhat crippled, which actually buys you some time at any rate

Is there any good way to go on the offense when outnumbered? I was in a two on three this morning, my team mate was having an awful time of it (they dispatched him really quick each time) so it was 3 vs me a good portion of the match and it was ugly.
BE AGGRESSIVE. turn into your opponents dont run. I find it easier to win when outnumberd because you have more targets they dont so most of the time they concentrate on the kill not team victory and end up shoulder shooting and hitting themselves (specially in sim). Take advantage of mistakes, make every shot count by using short bursts you will be more accurate because less recoil that affects aim. STAY LOW, if you have clouds use them too.

In realistic , evade and attack, be smart not brave.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edal86 View Post
BE AGGRESSIVE. turn into your opponents dont run. I find it easier to win when outnumberd because you have more targets they dont so most of the time they concentrate on the kill not team victory and end up shoulder shooting and hitting themselves (specially in sim). Take advantage of mistakes, make every shot count by using short bursts you will be more accurate because less recoil that affects aim. STAY LOW, if you have clouds use them too.

In realistic , evade and attack, be smart not brave.
normally i'll justgo for the nearest enemy, damage him as much as possible, then if an enemy is near to me, i will turn towards him.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Approved Member

Being agressive as mentioned is the best way to roll. Always turn into the guns ablazing. Try to get your attackers to be on the defensive. Keep hammering at them to make them mess up and pick of pot shots at lone fighters but mreak off as soo as his partner starts to get in position.

If you are more than one on an outnumbered team. Then one should fly as bait for the other side. The plane not being bait should hang back and let their team chase down you teammate, once they turn after him go on the offensive.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the tips! The agressiveness worked out rather well! Its tricky as killing an enemy doesn't improve your odds, it actually makes them worse since he'll reappear with more altitude, speed, and a new plane

I quit chasing any one target extensively, and instead swung around to meet whomever was closer, hit at them fast, then break off for the next guy coming in. I think I was getting hammered extra hard because I'd stick to a target too long so the other could predict (or the two of them set me up) my moves and another teammate could take me out. That was a lot of fun!

Went on You-Tube and watched that B17 dogfight, wow! Lots of good videos up there from the Dogfights series! Made for some educational viewing, highly recommended
Old 10-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Approved Member

what works for me is if im out number i latch on to the tail of a bandit and mimic his movements as he tries to get away, cause if hes him self dificult to hit then so am i