Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Approved Member

Default Il2 1946 on steam resolution issues.

The SAGA continues. I got IL2 FB ver 1.22 runnng fine. But as you know, it is just never enough. I wanted the full DOG AND PONY show. So, I tried to get a dwnload from UBI, but fo some reason it would not let me. SO I went to the STEAM darkside. The download went fine, but the below describes my new reason for wailing and gnashing of teeth. Any suggestions for the below?

I have downloaded 1946 and installed on a WINDOWS7 64 BIT system. When I launch the program either using the STEAM ICON or the Desktop icon;the program begins plays the intro and then takes me to the "MAIN MENU" tab. The problem is however, that the MAIN MENU screen is being presented at about 800x600, ADDITIONALLY, the MAIN MENU is OFF CENTER, so that you cannot see the right side of the MAIN MENU, (HARDWARE SET UP ETC) and the mouse CURSOR DISAPPEARS so that you can not recenter MAIN MENU or USE the mouse AT ALL.

This is really frustrating. I can not find any kind of set up folder that allows me to make any adjustments so that I can run this program. I am sure that the fix is a simple one, especially after reading so many posts on how well th program runs off STEAM in Windos 7.

MY SYSTEM SPECS:

INTEL I7 920@2.7GHZ, WIN7 HOME PREM. 64 BIT SVC PAK 1, NVIDIA GFORCE GTS 250X2.

Any IDEAS?

JGP
Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Approved Member

look for the file config.ini. this has your game settings for video, audio...etc. you will likely have to tweak a lot of these parameters to suit your needs.

for resolution look for this section:

[window]
width=1152
height=864
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=1
Use3Renders=0

there is a guide somewhere (like mission4today) that explains what all the settings do and what happens if you change the numbers (e.g., 0 to 1, etc.)

for the mouse i think these:

[rts]
ProcessAffinityMask=2 good idea to run on one core only
mouseUse=1
joyUse=1
trackIRUse=1
DisableIME=0
locale=
JoyProfile=3

[rts_mouse]
SensitivityX=1.0
SensitivityY=1.0
SensitivityZ=1.0
Invert=0

[MouseXYZ Config]
RealTime=1

Also, I recommend open/gl instead of direct x. Also, SLI, I don't think that works for this game. So that could be screwing up your video output if it isn't set right.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Approved Member

actually it is called

"C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\conf.ini"

here's link to various setup guides at mission4today including one on conf.ini. there's also the old il2 ubisoft forums that will have lots of setup stuff.

http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...ge_Base&cat=59
Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Approved Member

Thank you very much, Ill be home later this evening to try this. I hope it works.

Re. SLI IL2FBAEP works with the SLI enabled, and I have tried disenableing it for 1946, that did not mke a difference.

Ill keep my fingers crossed. I feel 42 again!

jgp
Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Approved Member

Hey MadBlaster, I looked for the folder tha you referenced, but this particualr install is a STEAM download, that folder Is not in the UBI folders or the STEAM folders.

Is there something differen that has to be done if it is a STEAM download and install?

jgp
Old 05-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Approved Member

oh yes. I'm on windows xp and not steam version.

try this. find the il2 icon on your desktop and do a right click, go to properties then look for the target location. you want to go to that location. I think il2 folder will reside within your steam directory??? but not sure. once you get to the il2 directory, you will see all the folders and files inside. sort that window by the 'type' column and then look for all the files of type 'configuration settings'. one of those files will be the conf.ini. open it, edit it as needed and save it. you might also get in the habit of making a back up copy of it so as you do your tweaking in due course, you have something to fall back to in case you mess up the current version.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD2MAXWELL View Post
The SAGA continues. I got IL2 FB ver 1.22 running fine. But as you know, it is just never enough. I wanted the full DOG AND PONY show. So, I tried to get a download from UBI, but fo some reason it would not let me. SO I went to the STEAM darkside. The download went fine, but the below describes my new reason for wailing and gnashing of teeth. Any suggestions for the below?

I have downloaded 1946 and installed on a WINDOWS7 64 BIT system. When I launch the program either using the STEAM ICON or the Desktop icon;the program begins plays the intro and then takes me to the "MAIN MENU" tab. The problem is however, that the MAIN MENU screen is being presented at about 800x600, ADDITIONALLY, the MAIN MENU is OFF CENTRE, so that you cannot see the right side of the MAIN MENU, (HARDWARE SET UP ETC) and the mouse CURSOR DISAPPEARS so that you can not recentre MAIN MENU or USE the mouse AT ALL.

This is really frustrating. I can not find any kind of set up folder that allows me to make any adjustments so that I can run this program. I am sure that the fix is a simple one, especially after reading so many posts on how well th program runs off STEAM in Windows 7.

MY SYSTEM SPECS:

INTEL I7 920@2.7GHZ, WIN7 HOME PREM. 64 BIT SVC PAK 1, NVIDIA GFORCE GTS 250X2.

Any IDEAS?

JGP
Hi

Go to Steam and do a file integrity check so the default steam version is back to original files.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL2 1946

Please copy the whole IL2 1946 file directory from the Steamapps\common folder to a hard drive outside of the program folders eg:

C:\IL2 1946

Ok now work on the settings in the new copied IL2 1946 directory on your hard drive.

Don't forget to get your patches installed as well.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 06-01-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26_Alpha View Post
Hi

Go to Steam and do a file integrity check so the default steam version is back to original files.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL2 1946

Please copy the whole IL2 1946 file directory from the Steamapps\common folder to a hard drive outside of the program folders eg:

Ok now work on the settings in the new copied IL2 1946 directory on your hard drive.

Don't forget to get your patches installed as well.
OK, this is where I get confused. If I do the above, create the C:\IL2 1946 folder and copy the Steam APPS directory into that, am I then patching into that new folder? And if so, am I no longer using the STEAM app? Or do I put it all back into STEAM when I am done with it?

What is the advantage or necessity of doing it this way? It seems redundant. I hate to show my ignorance about how all of this works but considering the last 17 posts one more wont make it that much worse.

Dont give up on me yet guys, my little boy Max and I are having a blast with this.

JGP
Old 06-03-2012, 03:55 AM
Approved Member

lol. okay. not everyone knows computers.

It used to be when you go buy a game at the store, the game was on a cd/dvd. You take it home, put it in the drive and install it to your hard drive from there. Now, instead of doing that, in your case you download the game files from STEAM and those files went to a designated location on your hard drive: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL2 1946

Now what alpha is saying is you need to go into STEAM and run a file integrity check. What that does is make sure none of the game files you downloaded from STEAM got corrupted during the download. So make sure you do that first.

Okay, after you do that. Now you are going to move the whole kittenkaboodle to a different location on the hard drive so it is away from STEAM. That location will be C:\IL2 1946. STEAM is now out of the picture after you do that. There are good reasons for doing this in this case. Just take my word for it. This is an old game and STEAM doesn't apply the patches automatically like it would with a new game. Not all these patches are made not from the developer, but from official authorized mod team. Fortuneately, the game has been continually updated all these years, because people like it.

Okay, now you can apply the patches @ C:\IL2 1946.

Also, I seem to recall, the skin patch 4.09m is optional. That installation is different. It's a copy/paste job. But read the readme file that goes with it. should explain it.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:14 AM
Approved Member

Thanx MadBlaster, you have been a great help here along with your associates. I will work on this some more tomorrow. But I think that I understand where I am heading with all of this now.

I really don't know computers anymore. I remember when I got my first system in 93, we had to do all kinds of things to the system to make it run well as well as tinker with the programs to get the most out of them.

I got my first Falcon computer in 2000, and these systems are so dependable that I became computer illiterate. I fell out of gaming for a while but kept all of the stuff knowing my little boy would probably love it.

This new method of getting a program from the net is great but also fraught with headaches. No manuals, no customer support. Thank goodness for you guys.

Ill touch base tomorrow and let you know how things are going.

jgp