Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Approved Member

Default Joystick axis modifier

I recently picked up a Logitech Attack 3 along with IL2 '46 (A bargain at 30 bucks total for both)

I had an idea for the rudder control as the Attack 3 joystick doesnt have a twist axis: I want to use the trigger as a modifier and use the x-axis to control the rudder. Unfortunately the game doesnt seem to support axis modifiers... Is there any way around this?

Last edited by IonicRipper; 01-21-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:21 AM
Approved Member

Any ideas what so ever would be very appreciated
Old 01-22-2012, 01:28 AM
Approved Member

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve. Are you trying to use the X axis for aileron normally, and for rudder with the trigger pressed? Even if you could get it to work, I don't think you'd find that very helpful - you need to be able to use both at the same time to fly properly.
Head tracking: TrackIR 5. Sore neck: See previous.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:42 AM
Approved Member

Can't help with axis modifiers (no idea what they are TBH!), but you could buy another USB joystick cheaply and canabalise it to make rudder pedals and give you some more programmable buttons.
Even if your stick had a twist rudder, some planes do not have rudder trim in game as in RL, which means you have to keep it twisted against the force of a spring and this gives you wrist ache. The more you fly this way the quicker the wrist starts to ache when you fly. Having pedals increases immersion tremendously. You could fly without the rudder to start with but your shooting may suffer as a result. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameson View Post
Can't help with axis modifiers (no idea what they are TBH!), but you could buy another USB joystick cheaply and canabalise it to make rudder pedals and give you some more programmable buttons.
This. Modifiers are possible but not for axes as far as I know. You should be able to get a used stick, even broken, on eBay. All you need is the controller and a Hall sensor from the local electronics shop. You could even use an axis potentiometer from the old joystick I suppose. Easy to rig up something suitable.

Or just buy some pedals or the Extreme 3D Logitech stick (very good value).

And this Hall sensor and magnet arrangement is under the metal cover in the middle:

Old 01-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Approved Member

Or just buy a different joystick
Old 01-25-2012, 03:11 AM
Registered Member

I use the attack3 as well, and for my rudder/throttle I have a second stick, RaiderPro, at my left side. Kind of like flying a crane, but the top hat on second stick, RaiderPro, gives me 8 more toggles switches a thumb length away, and the triggers another 2.
I find the buttons on base of stick are out of range to be of any use, and I keep sitting on the ones at the base of Attack3, so I disabled them, or have no settings.

This also give me two sliders, one for ele trim on attack3, and for prop pitch, on RaiderPro.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencon View Post
Or just buy a different joystick
I just bought this one im not gonna go buy different joystick