Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > CoD Multiplayer

CoD Multiplayer Everything about multiplayer in IL-2 CoD

Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 AM
Approved Member

Default Bridge from IL2 to IL2 COD

Hi all,

I'm writing in Multiplayer forum because I think that if there is some compatibility with old IL2 and New IL2 COD there is also the possibility that the IL2 comunity can swap to IL2 COD.

First of all is a real and functionally client server (as Hyper Lobby) where all the players can join to the game rooms without problems. Now with IL2 COD is not so simple... (see my post related on public IP).

Second: the eventlog must to be as much as possible similar with the old eventlog. A lot of parser scripts are ready (Bellum (in different version), SEOW, TVI) to read the eventlog, of course it is necessary some adjustment, but at the moment, the eventlog generated by COD is TOTALLY different and also in the local language.

I hope that this post can open some doors regarding this issue...
Old 05-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Approved Member

Any opinion?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Approved Member

I agree with you Poppy, loose all the hard work done with bellum, seow, tvi would be a really bad thing.
I dream a SEOW with CoD ....
Old 05-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Approved Member

Use mission scripts to create your own (compatible with previous projects) log.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:49 AM
Approved Member

Poppy -

I've been looking for the same thing (More info in an event log). As Zalty mentioned I think we need to script what we need into the mission so things are printed out to an event log.

Only problem I see is the lack of documentation on exactly what classes methods are accessible in the scripts.

We would need something like

OnStaticDestroyed() <-- Damaged also
{
writeEventLog(timestamp, static, player, event);
}

OnActorDestroyed().....

etc.

We also need a way to communicate with the server when it is running to send chat messages, load new missions, etc. So far I have not been able to get a connection to the server like I had with IL2. (It comes back with a java exception: Connection Denied) Maybe we need to switch from a Java to C# or C++

RAF238thWildWillie
Old 05-07-2011, 06:52 AM
Approved Member

In CloD engine new mission objectives can be loaded into a current mission without a need to stop the server (unlike it was in Il-2 coops). This feature is specifically included in the engine to avoid artificial breakdown of an airwar to single separated coop sessions.

Coops disadvantage is that you have wait till it starts, you can not join it at any time. But more important that in coop you can never see some aircraft rtbing from the previous mission to your base or 1 enemy tank that survived the previous mission getting dangerously close to your airfield.

Coop was needed due to original Il-2 engine limitations. Now we have much better possibilities: several "coop" missions can overlap in time and influence each other on the same server. Even at homePC you can host depending on your processor a server with 5-10 simultaneous air-missions taking place in the same airspace not artificially divided to coop rooms.

I think we should just force ourselves to avoid this coop-limited mentality from the past. We do not need to create logs based on mission events only in order to create new mission events. Now we can generate new events based on current mission events directly at the same server without the need to write them to log first.

I hope though we have a better online interface in the future. Maybe something like they have in WW2 Online (try it) where advanced users/officers can post new mission objectives depending on situation on the server directly in the game interface and other players or whole squads can select these objectives to fly that particular mission. Alternatively a voting system can be implemented where players vote for the next mission objectives and type of mission. Devs said we can create unique interfaces for each server as mods and i am sure one day such an interface will be written by modders if the devs do not provide it.

This creates a natural living airwar environment on the server where you can meet other aircraft groups flying other missions at the same time like in real life, what was not possible in limited coops. Leave coop limitations in the past please, coop is dead, think of the bright future )

ps. Very basic sample script that loads new mission objectives into current mission http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...6&postcount=95

Last edited by Ataros; 05-07-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwillie View Post
Only problem I see is the lack of documentation on exactly what classes methods are accessible in the scripts.
In script you can define your own Mission class, which has access to Battle and Gameplay objects. It is enough for moving players around, tracking kills and etc. Classes for server and UI programming are still not reachable, but will be soon. It means, that it would be possible to design your own server UI, which will be showed to players.

I would suggest you to look at this from different point. If you used to read log and issue pretty limited commands via console, now you can implement almost all logic via C# scripts. I didn't try it, but I think you can simply connect to MySQL database from script and insert records directly, without parsing logs.