Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 01-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Approved Member

Default First fight in a 109

Goes without saying that I lost... I downed a couple of blennies which were returning over the channel and then tangled with a hurri. My impressions as a previously-full-time red pilot?

- Excellent power
- Excellent stability at speed (and what speed)
- Awesome guns (just tore both Blenheims to pieces and set one on fire)
- Rubbish turning

The turning, or rather the lack of turning, will take some getting used to. What are your strategies, blue pilots? Seems that dragging the willing ones down to reduce their energy and then extending away to build superior E would be a good way to go. What if they don't descend?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Approved Member

I love the 109. Boom and zoom is the best tactic, but its very easy to get dragged into low down turn fights with the reds, then you are in trouble.
Watch how Mr X flies the 109 here:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=29297
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Approved Member

The 109 is all about energy fighting, maintaining it and only attack when you have a superior energy advantage.

Be very careful when fighting the rotol hurri, it's deadly, the poor old spit 1a is much slower and easier to kill. Fingers crossed for some attention to the FM. If it's a Spit II and you've got any kind of advantage it's pretty much one or two attacks and run.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Approved Member

Yeah, I have shot down my fair share of yellow noses in the hurricane rotol. It is my first choice and I am always pleased when a 109 starts turning with me. 1a is just rubbish at the moment.

As I flew over the channel playing with the throttle and prop pitch to get the feel for the 109 I wondered how anyone managed to get shot down in it. Then I started turning with the hurricane and realised pretty quickly! Exactly what I do myself so I guess I had no excuse.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Tvrdi

Im not an expert but I noticed that I cant manually control flaps (slats?) in 109? Pls can someone explain why?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvrdi View Post
Im not an expert but I noticed that I cant manually control flaps (slats?) in 109? Pls can someone explain why?
You definitely cannot control the leading edge slats manually, no idea if that was possible in RL...I kinda doubt it.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG5_emil View Post
You definitely cannot control the leading edge slats manually, no idea if that was possible in RL...I kinda doubt it.
They are automatic on most aircraft except for some STOL ones as far as I know. Airflow makes them extract at certain speed.

Flaps control in a 109 has 3 positions like IRL. Need to keep a key pressed in down position.

Last edited by Ataros; 01-26-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Approved Member

I have my flaps mapped to a lever on my saitek quad, I only ever use flaps for landing though. Speed is life in a 109.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG5_emil View Post
Please have a look:

Happy landings

Varrattu
GeForce GTX 970 4095 MB
Logitech G35 Headset
Logitech G940 Flight System (fw 1.42)
Mad Catz Strike7 Keyboard
Headtracker DIY 6DOF & OpenTrack 2.3.10
Old 03-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Approved Member

Isn't there another thread with a video of one of the RL pilots on this forum showing us his control of automatic leading edge slats? They can be controlled manually, there's just no need to.