Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Default Friday 2010-02-25 Development update:Interview by Grégory Lemasson/Discussion Thread

As Oleg asked me here is the discussion thread about the interview !
As soon as he can I think he will come to answer all the questions you may have since this new update is out

For those who doesn't know where to find the interview here it is :
http://www.checksix-fr.com/ and you will see the review in the news (with a special link for english people)
Old 02-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Approved Member

Answer for:
Originally Posted by SlipBall View Post
Great up-date! Oleg I am curious your decision to have "click-able"...and I'm not complaining either

the text itself (OM):

Decision was done very long time ago. However I will never tell what we will see in final untill the time when I'm sure that it will works really.

My principle never promise anything that may not happens. At least in realease but not after. However I'm, sure that some features that are designed and partially done may go later than in release. Same way as it was with Il-2. You know how fast was progressing Il-2 from the day of the first release. Simply becasue everything or almost everything was designed from the beginning of development...
Serious new thing was open in Forgottent Battles when we simply included the new 3D engine as a perfect mode. Just for example.

Still you may see with the modes of some good guys - Il-2 engine was so flexible...
Even more things we try to put from the beginning in the SoW engine and code that to make possible for third party much more than with Il-2. And almost from the beginning of the series, but not in the end...

But... you all know that modes should be really "certified"... So third party should be more organized than it was in the beginning when the code of Il-2 was hacked.
When its organized - there is really would be the best gameplay online.

I'm thinking already very long time about how to do it (in additional to what we plan in engine itself)... Maybe third party developers will offer me good ideas. Ordnung muss sein! Sorry, don't know how to say it in English.

Anyway... probably we will make separate discussion in future about this problem and we may find real solution for all of the players or groups of players. This is really important not for us, but for end user. And speech about it we will need to begin some time later, when I will be finally sure in some of the designed features and will tell about them here on the forum.

My dream - to "create" some third party serious uindustry around SoW. At first time - for the WWII (wwI) aircraft...then for the early jets... then.... God knows... it is depending of many things and at first depends of BoB success.

Ideas, if not crazy - welcome

PS. I'm sorry that I make some time mistakes, but I think my speech is understand-able. Still Olegish English.

Last edited by Oleg Maddox; 02-26-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Approved Member

Thanks Snake for asking my questions about the FMB and third party tools and information. I would had liked more explanation about the FMB, and even some demonstration, but you cant have all. I'm more than happy with the interview, and some of the things mentiones make me drool all over the keyboard .

Oleg, hope yo dream comes true, because that would mean a better and bigger simulator for all of us.

Again, best friday update so far!

Last edited by ECV56_Lancelot; 02-26-2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Edit because of missreading.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Approved Member

Thats really an amazing update. The smile on my face grew bigger with every line I read. Looks like the ultimate flight sim of my dreams becomes true.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Approved Member

Oleg ..... really disappointed in the Hardware your working with. It looks like we will still have the 'scale' problems and other issues that are currently in IL2. Really to my eye it looks like IL2 warmed over. I was hoping for a more

While I understand there are 'financial issues' at the moment.

It is very disheartening to see an 'High Definition' or 'Cinematic' 'Simulation' being created on such ancient and non representative hardware.

There is a saying in the west that I have always found has a lot of truth "The workman is only as good as his Tools"

I wish you well, but it concerns me greatly that even you the head of your company doesn't have a 'Basic Widescreen' 20-22 inch monitor on your desk. Its 2010 sir.

Since I don't expect and am resigned to the fact that scale and graphics are not going to be up to 2010 specs ....... can we at least get some 'gameplay' updates.

1. LoDs (dots for high resolution players)
2. Graphical User Interface/ Server Browser/ Friends Lists/ Squadron Tools
3. More information on 'Battle Engine' - What if anything can you tell us about your vision for online war in 2010.
4. What measures will be taken for anti cheat?
5. Will Dedicated Servers be available to host 'online war' so that Human Hosts (and their issues) can be removed.
6. Are we finally going to get rid of the 'Lobby' ?

P.S.
Did you get the Blu ray?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Approved Member

Question

Will TrackIR v1 still work in SoW:BoB? After the sim comes out I first need a new (expensive) computer and would like to re-use as much peripherals as possible long enough. 6DoF will sooner or later come to me, too. But in the meantime my trusty TIR v1 (must have bought it pretty early in 2002 after more and more glowing user reviews on simhq) should do fine.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Approved Member

Thank you so much Oleg for allowing Greg to see your office and get so many news on the game. I had the privilege of a voice report by greg and must say that, even if i already knew you would blow us with your quest for excellence, i grew even more excited listening to all those features.

Following Greg's report i'd like to have a deeper explanation on a few subjects though.

How will oxygen be implemented ? If a pilot does not put his mask above 1000m, will he suffer of earlier fatigue ? If he forgets to put his mask (or if he puts his mask and forgets to turn oxygen supply open) and climbs above 3000m, will he lose consciousness ? If yes, how will it show on screen ? If pilot has oxygen mask set, supply open and line gets punctured by a bullet, what will be the consequences ?

How will fatigue be implemented ? After many manoeuvers in a short period, will pilot still be able to fully deflect commands ? Will it affect greyouts/blackouts ?

Greg says you're happy with IL2 greyout/blackout model. I had only once a greyout flying aerobatics, but discussed the fact with fellow simmers that also fly for real and all say, as it was for me, that the main result of a greyout is loss of color (you see in black and white) before field of view gets really restricted and view blurred. This would require some kind of postprocess, but is most probably doable with current hardware. Any chance of seeing this kind of greyout ?

Thanks a lot for taking some of your precious time to answer our questions
Old 02-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Hsqn Protos View Post
Oleg ..... really disappointed in the Hardware your working with. It looks like we will still have the 'scale' problems and other issues that are currently in IL2. Really to my eye it looks like IL2 warmed over. I was hoping for a more

While I understand there are 'financial issues' at the moment.

It is very disheartening to see an 'High Definition' or 'Cinematic' 'Simulation' being created on such ancient and non representative hardware.

There is a saying in the west that I have always found has a lot of truth "The workman is only as good as his Tools"

I wish you well, but it concerns me greatly that even you the head of your company doesn't have a 'Basic Widescreen' 20-22 inch monitor on your desk. Its 2010 sir.

Since I don't expect and am resigned to the fact that scale and graphics are not going to be up to 2010 specs ....... can we at least get some 'gameplay' updates.

1. LoDs (dots for high resolution players)
2. Graphical User Interface/ Server Browser/ Friends Lists/ Squadron Tools
3. More information on 'Battle Engine' - What if anything can you tell us about your vision for online war in 2010.
4. What measures will be taken for anti cheat?
5. Will Dedicated Servers be available to host 'online war' so that Human Hosts (and their issues) can be removed.
6. Are we finally going to get rid of the 'Lobby' ?

P.S.
Did you get the Blu ray?

I think that their hard ware reflects what the masses would be using at the time of purchase of SOW

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 02-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

P.S.
Did you get the Blu ray?
We have good hardware if to speak about quality. Professional CRT still rules in terms of much better features of colors and depth of color. It is calibrated... And really cost a lot.
If you mean wide screen - then it works without any problem.
If you mean PC itself - sure we have probably better than you have now in terms of power. However I always prefer not so much powered PC for programmers... because the result of their work directly corresponds to the power of PC. If it is too much power - then the code would not be so much optimized. Hope you got my point.

Other your questios. Please read my answer above. I never tell before I would know how it will be in final. I know the answers. But I can't tell.
I don't like to look later like promiosed all, but developed nothing...
You have many such samples in this industry I think. Especiually in flight sims niche. Beginning from B17II and finishing.... Should I show it by my finger?

Finally. Graphics Engine of SoW is way more advanced than Il-2.
Il-2 can be "warmed up" to the photographic look on the surface. But will never looks like SoW and its features. Trust me.
Maybe you understand me if I will tell comparison by other way:

Compare quality of images of these cameras:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...8_Digital.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

The first is Il-2.
The second - BoB at initial release.

Blue ray. No. I heard form Dmitry Goryainov about some Blue ray...
Old 02-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Approved Member

Hi, It's not fair! Every time I see one of these updates I get more eager and excited. They make it harder waiting for the release of this sim!

I'm in the process of updating the layout of my home made control pannel and after reading this interview realised that the layout was based more on systems represented in IL2 and not BoB. (I hadn't put in a switch for carby heat and I'm sure there will be a lot of other essential systems I have missed that would be best on my controller - Tube Shooter for instance????)

Would it be possible for you to release a list of systems and controls that can be assigned before the release of the sim so that we can make (and engrave) an appropriate layout for BoB on our home brew controls and cockpits?

Thank you for your time and effort.

Quote:
There is also a saying that "A shoddy workman always blames his tools". From what I've been seeing and reading in these updates I get the impression that we are seeing a group of professional craftsmen and artists hard at work using the tools of their choice.

As a future client and user of this sim I don't think I would feel comfortable telling the artist what sort of brushes he should be using.