Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 12-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Approved Member

Default engine oil and radiator damage. Fails too quickly!

Yes know I know it used to be the other way around until a few patches back ad that was even worse. But now its the extreme at the other end, when u get a radiator damage you have about one minute maximum two minutes before the engine quits.
I have read plenty of reports of liquid cooled planes that made it cross the channel while leaking glycol or oil although the engine probably would be a write off after landing...

As it is now, you take a hit and no matter what you do the engine quits after the same time. I have tried opening up the water radiator fully, come back on on RPM and reduce to half power in order to nurse the plane back home over the channel. It never work. Same with oil radiator damage.
Another thing, the water and oil temp never seem to slowly increase as would be expected after a damage. The engine just fails and THEN the temp seems to rize.
It seems like the coding is to fail the engine after certain time and not after a certain temperature is reached. And honestly even in real life and engine can run maybe a minute or two even after this critical temperature is reached.in game not so.

Have any of you guys found a way to extend the time from a hit to the time of failure?! I would like to be able to nurse my plane cross the channel at least once online..
Old 12-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Approved Member

THere is absoulutley nothing you can do. Ive tried everything. Rads closed, rads open, full throttle, minium ata and U/pm to stay in flight... Everything!

THe only thing that seemed to work was diving hard at full throttle with the water rad wide open... But how long can you keep that up? 30 seconds?

I was thinking about it the other day, what about turning the engine off and on? Not very realistic though... and the water temp stil climbs with the engine off as the water pumps off.

Radiator = doom.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Approved Member

Sadly yet another example of the repercussion's of the countless whining that the devs faced, and dealt with.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 12-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipBall View Post
Sadly yet another example of the repercussion's of the countless whining that the devs faced, and dealt with.
+1.

People got what asked for.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Approved Member

The only way to hobble home over the channel is height!

You need 4 km altitude, throttle down to idle (to keep it turning), pitch to coarse and glide home.
But this also depends on the damage of the engine.

I don't know where I read it, but one Bf 109 pilot (from JG 5? ) had his engine shot behind enemy lines.
He feathered the prop and thanks to good thermal lift he glided 70 km back over the lines.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBiSoMeM View Post
+1.

People got what asked for.
Show me the thread where people asked for radiator damage that fails the engine in 1-2mins!!
Old 12-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Approved Member

Any of you guys experienced a motorblock crack irl?
No?
Let me tell you, you usually have less than three minutes before the engine completely freezes; now that is on car, not a 1000hp ac engine.

Reminder: We are NOT talking about an hi-tech AH64 turbine which can run half an hour without oil.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
But to be honest, before that you could fly with glylcol leaking from both rads forever. It was a bug and what happened now the devs did go another extreme, I agree with the OP.

Hans-Ekkehard Bob describes as he was hit in the cooling unit over Canterbury, his 109 also overheated pretty much instantly. The standard procedure was feathering the prop and yo could glide cca 10 km per 1km of altitude. He kept switching the engine on, climbing at full power till it overheted and then switched it back off again. That way he made it all the way to France from 4000m (80km distance). Maybe that's the same pilot Kodoss is mentioning.

Feathering the prop is not modeled in this sim, unfortunately. I don't know how about you guys but any instance I read, a water cooled engine with radiator leak = you're going down rather soon.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo. View Post
But to be honest, before that you could fly with glylcol leaking from both rads forever. It was a bug and what happened now the devs did go another extreme, I agree with the OP.

Hans-Ekkehard Bob describes as he was hit in the cooling unit over Canterbury, his 109 also overheated pretty much instantly. The standard procedure was feathering the prop and yo could glide cca 10 km per 1km of altitude. He kept switching the engine on, climbing at full power till it overheted and then switched it back off again. That way he made it all the way to France from 4000m (80km distance). Maybe that's the same pilot Kodoss is mentioning.

Feathering the prop is not modeled in this sim, unfortunately. I don't know how about you guys but any instance I read, a water cooled engine with radiator leak = you're going down rather soon.

Hi Robo, since the devs were unable to get it right, which then would you prefer to have now...With the release, a radiator leak meant that your battle had ended and there was a new battle just begun, to somehow make it across the channel. Extremely difficult situation, really only enough power to maintain steerage all the while loosing alt. With windshield covered in oil due to a gasket failure you would now be tested to the max, to set her down in a farmers field if you were able to make it that far. 9 out of 10 times I do not make it. Out of the times I do make it across, 9 out of 10 times I crash on landing attempt and die. It is that time when I do make it and can walk away, that I say to myself man what a great sim, oh boy I got lucky am I a good pilot!

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 12-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Hi Robo, since the devs were unable to get it right, which then would you prefer to have now...With the release, a radiator leak meant that your battle had ended and there was a new battle just begun, to somehow make it across the channel. Extremely difficult situation, really only enough power to maintain steerage all the while loosing alt. With windshield covered in oil due to a gasket failure you would now be tested to the max, to set her down in a farmers field if you were able to make it that far. 9 out of 10 times I do not make it. Out of the times I do make it across, 9 out of 10 times I crash on landing attempt and die. It is that time when I do make it and can walk away, that I say to myself man what a great sim, oh boy I got lucky am I a good pilot!
thats exactly the point. Instead of starting a a discussion where its your way or the highway, instead ask yourself why on earth the devs decided to go from one extreme to the other?!

Of course what we had before was worse than now. Now, its equally unrealistic.