Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 06-06-2011, 01:54 AM
Approved Member

Default 200FPS in COD yes it is possible

I have been playing around with Radeon Pro and different crossfire profiles. I know this has been discussed before but I thuoght I'd bring it up again.

I finally got COD running my 4 cards at 99% and getting 200FPS+ consistently with everything on high on the coast and 100FPS+ in land over cities. (mirrors off - mirrors drops to 20FPS)
It looks like the development team need to do some serious collaboration with Nvidia and ATI driver teams to help finalise the last performance issues, especially with SLI/Crossfire optimisation.

I still get some serious hitching with stutters and sometimes long pauses but the overall performance is now very playable again by forcing dx10 AFR mode with Radeon Pro.

I have ATI Cat 11.5b and CAP4 installed.

Seems some multiplayer servers I can get smooth high FPS too but others i get really long 20sec pauses and inconsisitent FPS between zero and 100FPS.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:00 AM
Approved Member

200 FPS

I am Not a technical person, but I thought that:

1. The human eye can't discriminate/appreciate anything over 72-75FPS; some say 60FPS is limit

2. The limit for the normal LCD monitor is 60FPS...and I'd guess that 95% of folks these days have 60Hz LCD's.

3. I've read that there is absolutely no visible difference between 60 and 200FPS, if you have a 60Hz LCD monitor.

Sooooo...if I am even close to understanding those three matters, I have NO idea what your 200 FPS achievement actually means........?!?

Can you explain?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:05 AM
Approved Member

that fps in this game is not a problem?

myself with my old rig i can get 80 fps if i lower res

I PREFER TO LOVE WITHOUT BEING LOVED THAT NOT LOVE AT ALL
Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaaid View Post
that fps in this game is not a problem?

myself with my old rig i can get 80 fps if i lower res
Cheeky... but no Im talking 1920x1080
Old 06-06-2011, 03:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoolittleRaider View Post
200 FPS

I am Not a technical person, but I thought that:

1. The human eye can't discriminate/appreciate anything over 72-75FPS; some say 60FPS is limit

2. The limit for the normal LCD monitor is 60FPS...and I'd guess that 95% of folks these days have 60Hz LCD's.

3. I've read that there is absolutely no visible difference between 60 and 200FPS, if you have a 60Hz LCD monitor.

Sooooo...if I am even close to understanding those three matters, I have NO idea what your 200 FPS achievement actually means........?!?

Can you explain?
Firstly its just a statement that the COD engine is capable of great things.

Secondly, your almost right regarding perception of 60FPS.

Though thats another can of worms... I will say though that the human eye can definitely perceive in excess of 200FPS and I can attest to that. Especially where panning motion is involved or fast action.

See the below extract and following link for more interesting information.

"The Human Eye perceiving 220 Frames Per second has been proven, game developers, video card manufacturers, and monitor manufacturers all admit they've only scratched the surface of Frames Per Second."

Part 1
http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html
Part 2
http://amo.net/nt/05-24-01FPS.html

Last edited by FS~Phat; 06-06-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:32 AM
Approved Member

interesting article thanks

I PREFER TO LOVE WITHOUT BEING LOVED THAT NOT LOVE AT ALL
Old 06-06-2011, 04:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS~Phat View Post
Though thats another can of worms... I will say though that the human eye can definitely perceive in excess of 200FPS and I can attest to that. Especially where panning motion is involved or fast action.
Well, with regards to that can of worms, how many FPS you're getting is irrelevant if its above your monitors refresh rate.

So if you have an LCD monitor thats 60hz, or 60fps. Even if the game is running at 999fps, your still only seeing 60fps, because thats all your monitor can display. If you have an old CRT laying around, or a 120hz tv or monitor, you can mess around with different hz settings and see what the actual difference 120fps is over 60fps, or 60 vs 30 (hint, its very noticeable.) But 200fps wont make a difference until you have a display that can handle 200hz.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Lemon View Post
Well, with regards to that can of worms, how many FPS you're getting is irrelevant if its above your monitors refresh rate.

So if you have an LCD monitor thats 60hz, or 60fps. Even if the game is running at 999fps, your still only seeing 60fps, because thats all your monitor can display. If you have an old CRT laying around, or a 120hz tv or monitor, you can mess around with different hz settings and see what the actual difference 120fps is over 60fps, or 60 vs 30 (hint, its very noticeable.) But 200fps wont make a difference until you have a display that can handle 200hz.
The important thing is that if it was running with 200 fps it is very unlikely to see the fps drop to 5 when there are lots of explosions or effects happening. In that situation I would say having a very high average is important even if you cannot see the difference between 60 and 200.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG5_emil View Post
The important thing is that if it was running with 200 fps it is very unlikely to see the fps drop to 5 when there are lots of explosions or effects happening. In that situation I would say having a very high average is important even if you cannot see the difference between 60 and 200.
Yeah, I know that. But the problem is you'll have screen tearing.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Approved Member

It's pretty damn impressive...but you didn't say if this was flying solo (I presume you were) how high you were flying, and over which area of the map. (Edit: sorry, I see you did - my mistake)
How does the Black Death track run on your rig?

The achievement is relevant because as noted above, once you're hitting these framerates, you've got so much performance headroom to play with that a smooth playing experience is guaranteed, not matter how much on-screen rendering takes place.

Last edited by Rattlehead; 06-06-2011 at 08:48 AM.