Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 11-08-2012, 12:30 AM
Approved Member

Default 9 yr old Girl shows Boys how to play football

Salute

This little girl, 'Sam', Samantha Gordon, shows in her rookie year what skills she has, amazing stats, including close to 2000 yrds, 35 TD's.

Amazing timing, instincts and moves for a 9 year old.... especially a girl!

Of course, it can't last in Football when the boys hit puberty, but she definitely has some athletic skills, she can pick her sport... Olympics maybe... Go Sam!

[video]

Last edited by *Buzzsaw*; 11-08-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:56 AM
Approved Member

Greased lightning!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:59 AM
Approved Member

Salute

Some more info from an article on her:

Quote:
It started as a way for an 8-year-old girl to keep up with her big brother.

Sam Gordon just wanted to run with the older kids. The coaches in the local tackle football league figured, hey, why not? Maybe they could turn it into a drill: Who can outrun Max's little sister?

They were shocked to find the answer: no one.

Sam Gordon, now 9, became one of the fastest kids this Salt Lake City area "Gremlins" league had ever seen. They put her in drills and she outran boys two years older. They allowed her into the "Sharks and Minnows" game and stared in awe at not only at her speed, but her ability to move like a tailback.

"She could cut and follow blocks like a college football player," says her coach, Chris Staib.

Staib hatched a plan: His team was drafting seventh out of nine. He wanted to pick the girl. So he started talking her down, suggesting she would get hurt. The other coaches bought it, and with his first selection he chose Sam Gordon.

"You dog!" they howled.

Staib just laughed. Sam ended up running for 25 touchdowns and 10 conversions (no PATs at this level) in her first season playing tackle football. She earned the nickname "Sweet Feet" – a modern-day Rudy Huxtable – and a breathtaking viral video in which she looks so fast that you have to wonder if it's real.

"Oh it's real," says Staib. "That's her. I was there for all of that."

It may be real, but is it appropriate? This is a 9-year-old girl playing against bigger, stronger boys. She even had a trainer who put her through agility drills and plyometrics. Gordon is not even 60 pounds, and there's a kid on her team who weighs more than 150. (His nickname: Tank.) In an era of concussions and frequent ACL tears, it's fair to ask: What are the adults thinking?

Sam's dad, Brent, admits his daughter had an adjustment issue at first. "She had a little bit of a struggle," he said Tuesday in a phone interview from his Idaho law office. "The team lost a couple of games. Since she was the primary ball carrier, she felt a lot of pressure to win. She felt blame for losing."

His solution was the video, telling Sam not to worry about the end result but rather each play. "Get me some highlights," he told her. He says it helped.

And what about the tackling? There are some fairly vicious hits on this video.

"I started her out in soccer at 4 years old and we would play out in the yard," Brent explains. "And my son's friends were pretty aggressive and rough. She could really handle a lot of the physical play. There were some games where she'd fall down and just keep going. She would get kicked in the face, kicked in the gut and just keep going."

Staib doesn't hesitate when asked about the hitting. He says Sam loves to tackle and even goes after Tank whenever she gets the chance. He's not worried. Brent says only once did Sam get shaken up from a hit. She came out of the game, rested for a few plays, then returned to score a touchdown.

"Some kids, right before the contact, they stop," Sam told her father. "I don't. I just hit 'em."

"That's not something I taught her, "Brent says.

A lot of people won't accept a 9-year-old girl playing tackle football, and perhaps with good reason. But it seems Sam loves it. Her dad and coach say she has no hesitation about coming back for another season. And her dad admits he's overwhelmed with pride, even though (or maybe especially because) he was no star athlete.

"With Sam, I keep questioning myself," he says. "Am I trying to make it something it's not because I'm her dad? I asked my brother, 'OK, am I just being a crazy dad here? Or is this really cool?' "

Maybe it's a little of one and a lot of the other. But what started as little Sam trying to keep up with her brother is now dozens of older boys trying to keep up with her.
Article is from this link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/interne...ouchdowns.html

Last edited by *Buzzsaw*; 11-08-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Approved Member

Quite sexist tone in the article in the worry about her getting hurt playing against the bigger boys and clearly only because she is a girl. This is something many talented and smaller boys deal with when playing higher in grades of contact sport.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Approved Member

A little avenger "THE FLASHETTE" ...
Intel i7 4820K @ 4.6GHz - Thermaltake Armour - ASUS P9X79 - Silverstone1200w PSU - 2 x Gigabyte R9 290 - 16GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1866 - Trackir 5 Pro - Logitek X3D - Saitek Pro Pedals - Dell 24" @ 1920x1200 - W7 HP 64x
Old 11-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Approved Member

THats awesome, she's out running kids taller than her too!

Just one thing:

Old 11-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Approved Member

that's not football, that's just some lost motorcyclists trying to play rugby

Last edited by chantaje; 11-08-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Approved Member

Salute

Now she's on Good Morning America. She says actually she wants to be a pro Soccer player, football is just a diversion...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyl...ighlight-reel/

Looks like Dad may have speeded up some of the original hi-light reel though...

Last edited by *Buzzsaw*; 11-08-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5./JG27.Farber View Post
THats awesome, she's out running kids taller than her too!

Just one thing:

Despite being a Rugby Player, this made me laugh out so hard
400 points to you Farber hahaha.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Approved Member

i didnt caught it at first but my subcouncious did cause later i was wondering why they called it football

I PREFER TO LOVE WITHOUT BEING LOVED THAT NOT LOVE AT ALL