Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 07-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Approved Member

Default The 'Great Debate' - Spitfire vs BF109

As suggested by FS~Phat in the performance testing thread, here is a thread to debate the relative merits and failings of these two most famous aircrafts. Hopefully this will allow the performance testing threads to fulfill their function whilst at the same time providing a space for people to post their own opinions regarding this evidently touchy subject.

To get the ball rolling, I will start.

All the evidence I have seen, which is mostly anecdotal suggests that; during the Battle of Britain, the early marks of both aircraft were very similar in performance, so similar in fact that victory was nearly always the result of things not related to the aircraft themselves, like pilot skill, numbers of aircrafts and tactical advantages (altitude, fuel, etc.) In terms of their relative performances however, I think it is safe to say a few things.

The Spit turns slightly better (smaller radius) than the 109 at all altitudes, particularly at lower speeds.

The 109 is slightly faster at all but the very highest altitudes, and certainly dives better.

Climb rates are tricky, I think that at different speeds, each aircraft may outshine the other.

The Spit was an easier aircraft to fly, and had marginally better visibility from the bubble cockpit, however the larger wing obscured the view to below more.

The 109 often had better armament which was easier to aim due to the fact it was more central on the airframe.

Both aircrafts killed more pilots during landing and takeoff than were lost in combat due to the high power/torque engines and the narrow track landing gear, but the 109 is slightly worse in this respect.

That's my opinions on the subject, and they are based on everything I have seen or heard regarding the matter. They are still simply opinions, however, and I do not claim them to be fact in any way at all.

Who's next?

Last edited by Sammi79; 07-14-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Approved Member

Personally, I feel that debating the merits of each plane is just going to result in certain characters trotting out the same tired pilot anecdotes saying "Plane X out turns Plane Y" but without listing at what speeds and altitudes.

Then, people who don't understand science will extrapolate that statement to mean that Plane X should always win in a turn fight against Plane Y in all circumstances.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Approved Member

Personally, I feel that debating the merits of each plane is just going to result in certain characters trotting out the same tired theories saying "Plane 109 out turns Plane Spitfire" at all speeds and altitudes because it was 'magic' and german.

Then, people who don't understand anything will extrapolate that statement to mean that Plane 109 should always win in a turn fight against Plane Spitfire in all circumstances and history is all a lie.

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 07-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Approved Member

They were both close enough in performance that tactics and pilot skill were the determining factor.

End of.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Approved Member

@Cpt. Doggles & Bongodriver.

That is exactly what this thread is for, so that these same tired old anecdotes/theories and personal bias/opinions do not get in the way of the performance testing threads whose purpose is to gauge exactly how the simulated aircraft perform. Here in this thread, these things are most welcome.

I have one more opinion to add,

The Spitfire was and is at all altitudes, speeds, air densities, humidity and temperatures; a much more beautiful aircraft than the 109!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Approved Member

[QUOTE=Sammi79;444695The Spitfire was and is at all altitudes, speeds, air densities, humidity and temperatures; a much more beautiful aircraft than the 109!
[/QUOTE]

Beauitfull yes..'much more'?......No

Sry about the size...great detail though

Old 07-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Approved Member

Actually yes thats a point, I think it was a mods suggestion a thread like this was started, basically a 'boxing ring' for for people to batter each other with their fantasies.........I'm out.

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 07-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Approved Member

Sammi79 - LOL nice one. I like them both, they're beautiful in their own way. Blonde and Brunette, Lidl and Aldi.. you know

I am always amused to see ppl flying only one side complaining and commenting on the other.

Last edited by Robo.; 07-14-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
Actually yes thats a point, I think it was a mods suggestion a thread like this was started, basically a 'boxing ring' for for people to batter each other with their fantasies.........I'm out.
Can we have that in writing..
Old 07-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Approved Member

@Jamz

For me the spit is more gracious and the 109 more viril (obvious seeing that nose). Just like comparing a dolphin and a shark.