Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Approved Member

Default Long Live IL2

Disclaimer: Don’t want to start a discussion on merits of this of that, etc. I just tried something out and wanted to share with a community of people that have like interests.

In the end what I took away from the experience was, “I sincerely hope, now more than ever, that IL2 is not dead! And I, for one, would be more than willing to plunk down another @#*%‘ed $60.00 for the stupid BoM expansion (that I have absolutely no interest in) if it fixes CoD.”
Ok, so out of curiosity, I wanted to see what it was all about and it is free so I figured I’d give it a try.

Let me first say that, the period that is its focus is not really my interest, so I’m a bit biased at the outset.

My initial impression is that they have done a pretty darned good job. The set up and business model is pretty ingenious and would seem to provide them with a good steady source of income which would lead to constant development. I will say that some of the things that come in the “mod” packs, like altimeters and temp gauges, should probably be stock equipment. Maybe not, maybe that plane didn’t come stock with these; I don’t have any idea.

They have, not great, but decent detailed “pilot’s manuals” for each plane, which is really nice. I like that you can spend as much as you want and still fly with those that have spent more. I didn’t spend a whole bunch of time in it so I don’t know much about weather, campaigns, multiplayer missions, etc.

I will say this, the environment is WAY to vibrant. Looks almost cartoonish.

All in all, I think it is a pretty good product and an excellent idea.

I say all this to say that even as good as my initial impression was of the game, it in NO WAY even comes close to the potential of this game. For one example, there were all kinds of levers and switches in the cockpit that I don’t even know what they do, and where not even used in the sim.

Before I tried the sim out, I was looking at the site thinking to myself, if it is true and IL2 is dying a slow death of lack of funding to and enthusiasm from the developers, I sure hope these guys do a WWII sim. After trying it, I still hope that, but I hope even more that the developers of this sim do NOT give up. This one is so much better (or could be).
16 GB Ram
GTX 580 (301.42)
X52 Pro
CHProducts Rudder Pedals
TrackIR 5 with TrackClipPro
Old 09-06-2012, 02:20 AM
Approved Member

Sorry, I'm not very up to date. What sim/game are you referring to?
Old 09-06-2012, 02:59 AM
Approved Member

Why is there this steady stream of new people with only a few post pontificating in here? lol Goodness gracious man get a hobby!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewulf View Post
Sorry, I'm not very up to date. What sim/game are you referring to?

Im guessing ROF!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Approved Member

“mod” packs, like altimeters and temp gauges, should probably be stock equipment

Yes, he's talking about Rise of Flight.
But his assessment of RoF is quite accurate.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Approved Member

As is his assessment of clod.

niemals aufgeben

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Approved Member

i think everyone who's been playing around with sims since il2 sturmovik, and has tried cliffs of dover, knows its potential.... but a diamond in the rough is just an ugly piece of rock
Old 09-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Approved Member

TynMahn needs to know that this is IL-2 next generation and what that means is it will probably go through all the theaters of WWII as they happened in time. Battle OF Britain, The Mediterranean should have been next instead of Russia but it will come after Russia I'm pretty sure. Then back to Western Europe again. I don't think there are any planes for the Pacific though.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Approved Member

Think you might have missed a paragraph there tynmahn.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I will say this, the environment is WAY to vibrant. Looks almost cartoonish.
Yeah, since all the videos and images we saw from that period were black and white and washed out, the world must have been all grey and low resolution back then, like this "new" "authentic" version of Clod......
EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked+ACX cooler.
8GB G.Skill ripjaws DDR3-1600
Crucial M4 128GB SSD+Crucial M4 256GB SSD
Seagate 750GB HDD
CH Fighterstick+CH Pro pedals+Saitek X45
Win7 64bit

Last edited by Jaws2002; 09-08-2012 at 06:15 PM.