Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 11-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Approved Member

Default Infrared LED choice for freetrack

If you are dissatisfied with your FT setup you should consider changing the IR LEDs. I started out using some cheap IR LEDs from the local electronics shop but recently changed to the famous SFH485P (bought from element14).

This has made an enormous difference. The tracking used to struggle in moderate daylight and lose sight of the LEDs when I turned my head. Now it is perfect from midnight to midday and when I fully turn. I just can't believe the difference and am fully satisfied with FT now.

My camera is a Logitech Fusion with the IR camera removed and a piece of floppy disc as a replacement filter.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Approved Member

Right. Quality helps.

Additional info: The SFH485P is round headed (like an inverted U) and emits a narrow beam (+/- 20°). Some recommend to carefully flatten its head with sandpaper to increase the angle (I did it and it does help).

The SFH487P already has a flat head and an emitting angle of +/- 65°.

I am using 3 SFH487P with a Wii Remote getting 97 FPS and +/- 40 JPS.
Artist
Old 11-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Approved Member

Thanks - I must have one of those variants since mine have.flat tops. Sure does make a difference compared to my previous ones which were rounded.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Approved Member

Osram SFH485P are wide angle with flat head - thats how mine were listed and arrived. Probably the best you can get for HT clips and you can see wether they are working or not as they give off a faint orange glow similar to the TrackIR clip.

AMD A8 5600K Quad Core 3.6 Ghz - Win 7 64 - 8Gb Ram - GTX660ti 2Gb VRAM - FreeTrack - X52 - Asus 23' Monitor.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:49 AM
Approved Member

Worth noting that when I connected the new LEDs they appeared as enormous dots in Freetrack which quickly merged when I turned my head - very annoying. The problem was that the camera was badly out of focus and after manual adjustment it is now perfect with strong, small points.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE View Post
Osram SFH485P are wide angle with flat head - thats how mine were listed and arrived.
You're right, See: There seems to be a naming convention with the P... Siemens delivers the 485 as roundhead and 487P as flat. I checked some more and found the P to be the most important: Osrams SFH485P emits in a 40° half-angle (Siemens' 487P in 65° half-angle and boths Osram's and Siemens' SFH 485 in 20° half-angle).

So whatever you choose: Be sure to get a wide angle with a "P" in its name.

Artist

Edit, Update: According to the datasheets, Osrams SFH485P emits in a 40° half-angle, not in a 160° angle as originally said.

Last edited by Artist; 11-10-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Approved Member

I just sanded the round tips of the LEDs down with fine sanpaper. Worked really well for me