Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Approved Member

Default GTX 460 or should I wait for something better?

Okay, so I've been playing RoF on my old 9800GT and decided that it's time to bite the bullet and get hold of a better GFX card.

The only thing which is stopping me from just grabbing a GTX460 for that is the fact that I kinda want to fly some real planes again. Cliffs is looking better and better as the weeks roll by, so, I'm wondering if a GTX460 is going to cut the mustard with it?

I have a quad core processor and enough RAM so I'm all good on that front. I know that Windows 7 will need to replace my old install of XP SP3 and I can manage that but will a GTX460 get me good enough performance or should I maybe hold out a little longer and save up for something better still?
Old 07-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Approved Member

You may get by but I doubt you'll be satisfied.

I have an I5 2500K and a 560TI card and I'm thinking of getting a 580 as soon as I can swing it. My performance is passable but I'm not satisfied. Of course, the right optimization from a patch could change my view.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Approved Member

Well it depends, I would not buy a 460 as a single card solution, and its too a weird time to buy two of them since the demand for them as a single card went down when the 500s came out, but by now supply has been eaten up by people running 460s in SLI.
If you are set on buying a card now I would strongly suggest going for a 500 range card, they are not even manufacturing the 400s since 500 series release. In any case the 500 series is worth the few extra $ imo.

If I were you though I would wait until the end of the year/2012 q1 and have a peak at the new nvidia Kepler and AMD Southern Island 28nm fab gpus. At the very least when they come out the price on the 500s, especially the high range 500s will plummet. I am waiting to see myself because depending on how the new gpus perform I will be going dual 580 sli or a new single card.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Approved Member

560 seems to be a beefed up 460, I would go for 570 or 580 which I'm holding out for also
Old 07-24-2011, 12:32 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for the replies, I might just hold out a little longer then and stick with my dinky planes before slipping into something that actually has more horsepower than my best mates motorcycle.

Might be time for a full system upgrade even, my 2.4Ghz processor is getting a bit dated too but it's a good, reliable unit.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:33 AM
Approved Member

i use the 460GTX 1GB and I think it's a great card. I get great performance with it, also have an AMD phenom x4 965BE, 8GB ram. I get a solid 35 to 40 FPS in online fights.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Approved Member

I'd say your processor and ram would do a lot to help with that droz. Mine are quite inferior to yours and putting a 460 amongst them might not be such a great boost as I had hoped it.

My mobo only supports DDRII and I only have 3Gb as well so it might just be time to go back to the drawing board. It's a shame really, my system has given excellent service for a few years now but that's the way it is. Not much point in settling for 'Low" settings.

I really should have titled this thread "Help me convince myself to bite the bullet and buy a new system."
Old 07-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droz View Post
i use the 460GTX 1GB and I think it's a great card. I get great performance with it, also have an AMD phenom x4 965BE, 8GB ram. I get a solid 35 to 40 FPS in online fights.

I second that, I went from 9800 GTX (x2) to a 460 GTX OC, and the performance is great. Obviously there is some issues with this game currently, but I get very playable framerates, and other games like DCS A-10 is smooth as silk...
Old 07-24-2011, 12:49 AM
Approved Member

A 460 or 560 will work nice in CloD and in ANY other actual title.

Don't get stuck to the talking that CloD need 10GB VRAM to run and other nonsense: you just will need to lower IN ACTUAL BUILD OF THE SIM the texture setting from "ORIGINAL" to "HIGH" and/or reduce Land Detail to "MEDIUM" and will fly with other settings all up, with great performance.

Better VGA will be nice and will last longer, but isn't really a need to run CloD beautiful and with great performance.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:53 AM
Approved Member

Good choice. I have a GTX460 1GB (upgraded from a 9800GTX) and I am happy with the card and it was a big step up from the 9800GTX. Even though it's slipping down the performance list I'm happy running at 1680x1050 with the sliders on medium to high.

My original idea was to pickup another 460 and go SLI (Who would need more than 1 gig of video ram?- famous last words!!!!), but from peoples posts it would probably be more beinficial to get a newer card with more ram. When the developers of COD and ROF recommending a single GPU card over SLI/Crossfire, unless your building a system for other games that handle SLI better I'ld give it a miss.

Now this could all change with driver support and future patches so waiting may give you more option IF you can put up with the low settings.

Cheers!

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 07-24-2011 at 12:56 AM.