Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Question Aircraft how-to forums, beginner guides?

Hey everyone, noobie flight simmer here trying to get to grips with the CIM in CloD. Is there a resource anywhere where I can get aircraft-specific instructions/tips/idiosyncrasies? I'm beginning to understand the black arts of pitch/radiator/mixture etc. but there are still brick walls I'm coming up against. For instance, whenever I try to do a quick mission in a Stuka ~1 min after it starts I shake violently @ 300kph until I blow a gasket Why? Who knows, but I've tried everything and clicking on everything but that gasket ALWAYS gets blown. I also had the same type of shudder in my Bf-110 from takeoff to 300kph, flaps+gears up, prop keeping RPM constant and with my radiators open so water doesn't go above 95C. It only ended up disappearing after ~1500m altitude.

It's very discouraging to new fliers I'd love to fly with CIM on, but unfortunately there is just not enough feedback available to identify what mistakes I'm making. It would be awesome if there was an area of the forums, or just SOMEWHERE where I can get this information - even just to confirm I'm not wrestling with a FM bug.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Approved Member

Hi mate dont know about the stuka so hopefully your get an answer for that...as for the 109, are you sure your opening radiator fully and not just pressing the open button once or twice?

I have my radiator about 1/3 open and take off and oil radiator open about 1/4 on slider (on screen) then pitch clock set to 12.00 and full throttle with WEP once airborn i adjust pitch to 11.00 with full throttle still while climbing..i never have shaking engine unless ive fried it or have over revved the engine..

An easy explanation is to not let your RPM go above the red mark...if you do that and keep your radiator 1/2 open oil radiator open slighly you should be fine
Old 07-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Approved Member

Here are some basics:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=24547
Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Approved Member

And some more in those sections

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=197

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=194
Old 07-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Approved Member

the planesesytems sometimes work very different in the CoD planes - even to the controler inputs (mixture as a example).

I would advice to use a mission with groundstart (IIRC there is one as default ?!) and check how the systems are working.

Like, how do the flaps behave, are the systems working only with running engine and so on. AND, wright it down, wright your own pilot handbook for every plane.
Thats the best advice i can make - the official documentation leaves you almost alone in this.

Get familiar with the plane. With full complexitiy enabled CoD is no "hop in and fly" Sim.
Just to stay away from too much frustration (it took me 4 hours the first day of european release ) , leave "antropomorph" OFF and check the settings that you can switch planepositions.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the great posts and links guys. I figured out the Stuka after ~4 hours worth of tinkering. Turns out that I needed to pull out the top left yellow lever (the name escapes me currently) and keep the engine pressure under 1 bar. RPM was controlled primarily with the prop pitch, keep it around 2200 and be very gentle with the throttle. As far as the strange Bf-110 shuddering, who knows

Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Approved Member

you had engaged 'Start-/Notleistung' (WarEmergencyPower)! You realy should use that only in emergency and than only for a very short time !

Fortunatly in the 109 it will be disabled automaticly after 1min use
But in the Ju87, you have to disable it manually, true. Actually , you dont need it for the start.

try to fly the 110 with around 1,1 ATA and around 2200 rpm in normal flight , there should be no stuttering than - as long you keep the temps in order.

Overrev is bad for an engine, but underrev too !
Old 07-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG53Frankyboy View Post
try to fly the 110 with around 1,1 ATA and around 2200 rpm in normal flight , there should be no stuttering than - as long you keep the temps in order.

Overrev is bad for an engine, but underrev too !
I'll totally give that a try this evening. Thanks