Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

Default Best plane vs B17G

I was playing against a B17G in a dogfight today in a K-4. I won convincingly (12 kills to 1 death from the bomber), but it took ages for the b17 to go down, even vs good long bursts from my 3 cannons and 2 mgs.

So I was wondering if you folks reckon there's better planes/tactics/guns to bring down 17s. My tactic was to come from straight above or 12oclock high where his gunners can't cover. (Apart from rockets of course.)
Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Approved Member

As far as planes, the more (and bigger) cannons you have, then naturally the easier it should be to bring it down. Now having said that, I typically fly a Spit Mk II for a majority of missions and I too have impressive scores against them. Whatever you use, it comes down to tactics in the end. If you fly straight right on the tail, then you're going to be shot to heck a majority of the time. If you aim for the fuselage, then it will take forever to bring it down. ALWAYS aim for the engines when it comes to bombers, ESPECIALLY against that behemoth, lol!

My personal tactics are to fly right up to it from below keeping parallel with it as fast as possible, making adjustments as necessary to avoid incoming fire. Once I'm pretty close, I pull up hard aiming for the engines as I go, throttling back. I typically like to pull up over it, roll 180 and come back down inverted, again spraying the engines. If the person is controlling the guns themselves, this will make it very hard to track you since the gun sight movement in turret mode isn't all that fast. Just make sure you don't hang inverted too long or you'll be in trouble, lol! If that doesn't bring it down on the 1st pass, then I'll typically hang below it from that point on throttling up again until I can build up enough speed again for another run, all the while firing on the engines and weaving to keep my target from being too static. Another good one for a first pass is to try and coming in from the sides and strafe the wings. Whatever tactic you use, coming in headlong directly from the back will be suicide and so keep moving and again ALWAYS aim for those engines!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Approved Member

i like use me109g6 against the b17,the good firepower of the 109g6 can be an advantage if u don't stay too much time in the 6 of the b17,the rear gunner will not miss u!the b17 stay a very hard target...the il10 is unkilable for me,i m not good to beat them...
Old 03-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Approved Member

Not sure about the other Guy's that play BoP, but in dogfight or Team dogfight best method is not to play with a B17 at all.... Dogfighting is the purest form of ariel combat there is, wit, skill, shear talent makes the best of the best out there the good opponents they are....get someone like RuffMonk on your tail and you can bend over , close your eyes, pull eject and kiss your butt goodbye ! i've done it Oooooh loads of times .....BUT learning to defend yourself with evasive moves and working out how to get your own edge makes this the brilliant game it is.....you do get better very quick playing with the games best...... not in my view chasing the Boeing bus around the sky.

But in CTA and Strike......different thing........Game on...more in keeping with the real WW2 , the advise offered above is spot on.....go for the engines. Use obscure angle on top / underneath/ peal in from the side's Never from behind ! Game over Bro......

In arcade I use a 109G6, lots of bang for your buck and shoots "straight" so easier than wing mounted cannon only relying on convergence.

In Reaslistic I prefer a 109F4....no wing pod 20mm cannon means it does not buck around too much on recoil...easier to aim and keep on target.

I have also used the P47D with some success, takes a lot of hits itself as long as the are not front on.....steers like a tractor though !

Good luck, good flyin, and above all ENJOY
Old 03-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Approved Member

Anything wih a gun works. I shot one down with a Po-2 he other day, It was sim and his bow turrets were out of ammo so I just glided in front of him and blasted away at the wings. Mind you the pilot was ill experianced. But still fun otherwise.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Approved Member

im the same as Olife G6 is brutally effective at destroying 17's with ease, with the right tactics a Mk XI spit is just as effective.

but the squad that can fly the fast jets again no contest for the Me163 or 262 will be on, busrts released, and all you will hear is jet wash/engine noise.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Approved Member

oh this thread, again.

Quote:
Old 03-23-2011, 12:54 AM
Approved Member

My preffered method is to use a B-17 and then try a full on broadside like the Battle of Trafalgar. Failing that, pick the rocket plane and see how many times you can kamikaze someone in 10 mins.

You could also try and recreate the scene in Return of the Jedi where the A-wing crashes into the bridge of the SSD. A rolling direct hit into the cockpit.... nice.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winny View Post
My preffered method is to use a B-17 and then try a full on broadside like the Battle of Trafalgar. Failing that, pick the rocket plane and see how many times you can kamikaze someone in 10 mins.

You could also try and recreate the scene in Return of the Jedi where the A-wing crashes into the bridge of the SSD. A rolling direct hit into the cockpit.... nice.
I could never work out if that A-Wing pilot did that on purpose or by accident. The way his ship was rolling and his anguished yell looked like he had been hit by a Tie and was out of control.
The Gamecube game Rebel Strike had a bonus mission where you played as that guy in his A-Wing and had to negotiate the canyon superstructure of the SSD before clearly kamikaze flying into the bridge.
I bought a toy A-Wing a couple of years ago and it came with a figure of the guy. One of my fav SW figures
Old 03-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Approved Member