Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:32 AM
Approved Member

Default Russian version review

LOL for those of us brave soles that took the risk i thought a small review might be in order. Everything worked according to the threads that posted how to get this version but and a really big BUT this game is almost unplayable lol.

It should be said that i have a a crossfire set up which may be causing all of the glitches but there is such huge potential here anyway.

i managed to get myself through the training flights but not being able to map the keys and the constant stuttering is just unbearable and this is overlooking the fact that i cant read a lick of Russian. lol

the voices are in English but impossible for me to understand what the guy is saying except for a couple of words here and there since its so garbled. again might be an audio setting that i can not read to change.

LOL for 14 bucks it is well worth it to potentially have in my possession what might be the only potentially unaltered version of the game to release ever. ill still buy the US version now when it comes but having this version now also leaves me the option to edit this one and hopefully get it back to full glory someday and hopefully in English lol

I have never dabbled with the video capture so im sorry for not posting a video but this will have to do.

with all the graphics turned all the way up (i think) lol the performance was playable if the filter would have been able to be turned off. there were however LOTS of visual type weird things going on all over the place clipping and just chaos except for the cockpit itself. but as stated this could be because of the crossfire set up.

verdict is this game has the potential to be the best flight sim ever if we can somehow put it back to the way it was. But even if everything was in English for this version with all the problems it still has a very long way to go

my cpu specs

WIN7 64
Asus M4A89TD 890FX Chipset
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition
2x AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
8GB (2GBx4) Corsair generic 1600Mhz (CPU caps at 1333)
30GB Kingston 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State (boot)
2x 1TB SATA III 6.0 Gb/s 64MB Cash 7200RPM HDD (Raid 0)(data)

and some good cooling built just for IL2 lol will see if it ends up being enough rofl

Many thanks again to everyone who posted how to get this version.

cheers

Last edited by Bryan21cag; 03-27-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan21cag View Post
LOL for those of us brave soles that took the risk i thought a small review might be in order. Everything worked according to the threads that posted how to get this version but and a really big BUT this game is almost unplayable lol.

It should be said that i have a a crossfire set up which may be causing all of the glitches but there is such huge potential here anyway.

i managed to get myself through the training flights but not being able to map the keys and the constant stuttering is just unbearable and this is overlooking the fact that i cant read a lick of Russian. lol

the voices are in English but impossible for me to understand what the guy is saying except for a couple of words here and there since its so garbled. again might be an audio setting that i can not read to change.

LOL for 14 bucks it is well worth it to potentially have in my possession what might be the only potentially unaltered version of the game to release ever. ill still buy the US version now when it comes but having this version now also leaves me the option to edit this one and hopefully get it back to full glory someday and hopefully in English lol

I have never dabbled with the video capture so im sorry for not posting a video but this will have to do.

with all the graphics turned all the way up (i think) lol the performance was playable if the filter would have been able to be turned off. there were however LOTS of visual type weird things going on all over the place clipping and just chaos except for the cockpit itself. but as stated this could be because of the crossfire set up.

verdict is this game has the potential to be the best flight sim ever if we can somehow put it back to the way it was. But even if everything was in English for this version with all the problems it still has a very long way to go

my cpu specs

WIN7 64

and some good cooling built just for IL2 lol will see if it ends up being enough rofl

Many thanks again to everyone who posted how to get this version.

cheers
I'm patient, at least there is hope.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Approved Member

How is playability with settings on medium? (As best you can tell!) I don't really expect to be able to play all new releases maxed out.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:42 AM
Approved Member

Hm, what I am trying to do is to force DX9 renderer... IN the conf.ini, there is this variable:
Render=D3D10_0

Just wondering what value it needs to use DX9...
Old 03-27-2011, 06:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:

my cpu specs

WIN7 64
Did you disable crossfire? Russian players are saying they got double the framerate when they disabled it and ran just one card.

I would suggest trying that and then running it again.

Plus take a look at the translated config pages and use them to perhaps reduce your settings.

Last edited by *Buzzsaw*; 03-27-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Approved Member

Default ..

The like i said even with everything turned all the way up it really seemed like it would have been very smooth i would say close to 50fps maybe more except there was the very distinct pause like every 5 sec or so which i am gathering is what that filter does, or its due to the crossfire.

i tried turning the graphics completely down to minimum and it was the same thing very smooth with the pause every 5 sec or so.

lol I have no idea hot to disable one card if it is simple walk me through it and I will test it out.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Approved Member

Well your 5-second stutter seemed to trigger a bell for me from the old IL2 engine. I found this an wonder if it could be related?

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...5/m/4821066766
Old 03-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
The like i said even with everything turned all the way up it really seemed like it would have been very smooth i would say close to 50fps maybe more except there was the very distinct pause like every 5 sec or so which i am gathering is what that filter does, or its due to the crossfire.

i tried turning the graphics completely down to minimum and it was the same thing very smooth with the pause every 5 sec or so.

lol I have no idea hot to disable one card if it is simple walk me through it and I will test it out.
Are you sure you are on the best settings? because, unlike usual, it seems that in IL2 CoD thebest settings are up the list, and lowest ones (низкий) are at the bottom.

Try to switch the general settings, it has a list with 5 positions in it. Pick the extremes, and have a look at the right part of the detailed settings, and see which of them have the three checkboxes actully chcked - that's the highest setting for IL2 CoD.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
Well your 5-second stutter seemed to trigger a bell for me from the old IL2 engine. I found this an wonder if it could be related?

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...5/m/4821066766

hmm so if im reading that rite it was the water not the clouds that was causing the issue. I will try turning off the water the next time I run it.

I was also hoping that someone would clue me in as to how i disable one video card to see what that does as well this has also got to have something to do with the weird visual effects.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:

U have to disable the card in CCC.

Note that i assume this because thats what one do when running NVidia. There is a page in the control panel where u choose to run 1 or 2 card and choose also if CPU, GPU1 or GPU2 is suppose to run PhysX.

No reason why its any different in CCC/Crossfire (except for the PhysX part off course)

Last edited by Baron; 03-27-2011 at 09:49 AM.