Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 03-26-2011, 09:39 PM
machoo

Default Upgrading RAM

I have 4GB DDR2 1066mhz , looking up prices it's hard to find anything over 2GB per stick unless it's DDR3. Will it matter if I have DDR2 and DDR3 in the same motherboard? I realize if I get faster memory it'll just run at the slower speed. Apart from that DDR3 is no different right?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Approved Member

Different pinouts. You will probably need a new motherboard and possibly a new cpu.
What board do you have currently and what cpu?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Approved Member

DDR3 is much better than DDR2 but i have forgot all the differences.

But it should make your PC and therefore the game run a bit faster.

Hopefully someone else on the forum can shine more light on the difference or

TROLL MODE ON

use this rather useful unknown website www.google.com

TROLL MODE OFF

sorry had to do it
Old 03-26-2011, 09:53 PM
machoo

No , It's easier to just ask here then find info myself.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Approved Member

Guys, I'd be hesitant about upgrading any hardware until 1.01 patch comes out. If it is true about CoD running 32-bit/single-core then there is clearly major optimisation work to come (link to simhq thread re 32-bit/single-core).

Might be better to wait and see what the first patch addresses before upgrading and then you will be in a better position to determine exactly what your own hardware bottlenecks are.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Approved Member

DDR2 and DDR3 RAM are incompatible.

If you're using DDR2 RAM already, you have a DDR2 compatible motherboard that can use your DDR2 RAM, but not DDR3 RAM.

To know exactly what kind of extra DDR2 RAM you should get (you probably don't need more than 2GB per stick), we need to know how many RAM slots you have (probably four), and how many of them have RAM sticks in them already (probably two). We also need to know whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit.

Without this information no-one can tell you what you should get, and if you yourself don't know this information you might get something that's not fully compatible with your system (it might make it run poorly or not run at all.)

Sorry if it sounds condescending, but your post suggests there are some important things you need to find out about it before updgrading your RAM. Just trying to help.

And yes, as jimbop said, if you're upgrading your RAM for CloDo then it's better to just wait and see where your system is most lacking anyway, as there may be no point upgrading any part of it. I just thought you wanted to get more RAM because you already knew you needed it for your current uses.

Last edited by Les; 03-26-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Tree_UK

Yes wait mate, CLOD at the moment is 32bit only, so lots of memory will be pointless.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Approved Member

Just to be safe - go buy 24gb of ram and stick it on a EVGA 4-way SLI mobo, then you wont have to worry about it anymore.

p.s - Make sure its 1600mhz ddr3!
Old 03-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliocon View Post
Just to be safe - go buy 24gb of ram and stick it on a EVGA 4-way SLI mobo, then you wont have to worry about it anymore.

p.s - Make sure its 1600mhz ddr3!
lol, hate to think how much that would cost... But I thought SLI made it worse with the filter! Just booked 500GB RAM for a month on a work server - wish I had that machine at home...
Old 03-26-2011, 11:43 PM
machoo

My motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45 or something. It can go upto 16GB , Win 7 64bit O/S and I have 2 of my 4 slots remaining. So with COD only 32bit , will it even work for me?