Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Approved Member

Default a mobo ? for the techies here

I need to select an x58 mobo and after looking at several reviews, I realize I don't know which synthetic test best translates to our combat flight sims. So I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone with knowledge of such a thing could sort this out. I've added a link to one mobo test that lists several tests used to gauge a mobo's prowess:
http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/...ds/2080_6.html
Which among them would best represents the performance criteria most important to our genre?
No haters, or Neanderthal replies, please.
thanks!
Flyby out
Old 02-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Approved Member

3Dmark.

But a motherboard does not really effect the game performance in FPS count.
Max difrence you would see or get between high end ones (not talking about the budget mobo's) are not more then a few fps.
Max difrence i ever seen in a bench was 8 fps i think.

But thinks like overclocking cpu and gpu have mutch mutch more effect on your fps count in games.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Approved Member

If you know that you need a new x58 mobo then you should be looking at what features you need, like connectors etc., rather than looking for the x58 mobo that is the fastest. There is no huge difference in speed between different x58 mobo's, they almost only show in synthetic benchmarks and not in real world applications.
So, do you need onboard audio, SLI, CrossFire, SATA 6, USB 3, auto overclock features etc.. ?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Approved Member

thanks for the replies, guys. I don't see where USB 3, or SATA 6 will impact me (unless there's a SATA 6 HDD out there; I'll do a search). Since I haven't decided on which GPU to get (Mr. Red or Mr. Green) I think dual-GPU support is important. I may start with one GPU, but I'll see which one works better doubled up for Oleg's new sim. Also, a medium overclock is in the cards, so the bios features supporting this feature is important. I'd like to use the KISS principle and use a few clicks versus challenging the timings, etc.
thanks again for the input. good stuff
Flyby out

Last edited by Flyby; 02-11-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Approved Member

Kiss?

Take a look at MSI's Auto OC Genie.
MSI Big Bang-XPower f.i.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Approved Member

HI Swiss,
KISS(as in the KISS principle) is short for Keep It Simple, Stupid! Something we say to discourage making something more complex than it needs to be. It does not imply someone is stupid. Here's a Google page of a lot of definitions for the use of the term:
http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&so...KISS+principle

Thanks for the tip abut MSI's overclock genie. I'll check it out. It's been a while since I've dealth with memory timings and such, so KISS applies to me!
Flyby out
Old 02-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Approved Member

I don't remember if it has an auto overclocking button like MSI, but I've only heard good and good value about the Asus Sabertooth X58.. 5 year warranty.. and it looks really nice!
Old 02-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyby View Post
Thanks for the tip abut MSI's overclock genie. I'll check it out. It's been a while since I've dealth with memory timings and such, so KISS applies to me!
Flyby out
I'm aware what KISS means, thats' why suggested an auto OC mobo.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Approved Member

Look at the Asus and Gigabyte boards.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Swiss, I misunderstood when you typed "Kiss?" I thought you did not know the meaning. No offense.
F19_lacrits, just this morning I added the Sabertooth to my list of possible mobos. Thanks!

Royraiden, of course I've looked at the Gigabyte offerings too. What I'll do is check the customer reviews on Newegg. Then I'll check a few over-clocking sites and see what I get learn there (I intend to perform a mild over-clock on my 17-920; about 3.5ghz or there abouts).
Flyby out