Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Approved Member

Default graphic engine? I forget...

I did a search for the SoW graphic engine, and got a whole bunch of hits, but I'd have to read every page of each post. I'm not immortal. So can someone (kindly, please) tell me what graphic engine Oleg is using to render SoW_BoB? I want to make a decision on which GPU provider to aim for, and one may have a rendering advantage over the other with that engine. (Matrox?)
I thank you,
Flyby out

Last edited by Flyby; 12-09-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Approved Member

S!

FlyBy..last confirmed info is DirectX 9 and 11.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:59 PM
speculum jockey

It's a new engine. Oleg and co. made it from scratch. Nvidia sent them some samples to test, so there might be a tiny little bit of optimizing for Nvidia features, but you'll have to wait and see. I've seen plenty of "Nvidia games" play faster on similar ATI cards and vice versa.

Just pick the price you want to pay and check out which card gives you the most bang for your buck at that price. Check out the stats at Tom's Hardware.

p.s. wait until after it comes out to build a system.

Last edited by speculum jockey; 12-09-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Approved Member

Default Hi Flanker35M!

Thanks for replying,
But what graphic engine will Oleg use to render in DX9 and DX11? The Unigine graphics renderer?
Flyby out
Old 12-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyby View Post
Thanks for replying,
But what graphic engine will Oleg use to render in DX9 and DX11? The Unigine graphics renderer?
Flyby out
His own.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Approved Member

Default rgrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by speculum jockey View Post
It's a new engine. Oleg and co. made it from scratch. Nvidia sent them some samples to test, so there might be a tiny little bit of optimizing for Nvidia features, but you'll have to wait and see. I've seen plenty of "Nvidia games" play faster on similar ATI cards and vice versa.

Just pick the price you want to pay and check out which card gives you the most bang for your buck at that price. Check out the stats at Tom's Hardware.

p.s. wait until after it comes out to build a system.
I am leaning towards a single GPU solution to start things off. Coincidentally I just read the review of the GTX-570 over at Tom's before coming here. Nicely priced, but for $30.00 more one can go with two Radeon 6850s in Xfire. Thing is sometimes the 570 outperforms that combo, like in Hawx2: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,2806-4.html
and sometimes it loses to that combo, as in Battlefield_Bad Company2: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...e,2806-11.html

So, with the cost being relatively close (Red = $380.00, Green = $350.00) it seems to me be be important to know if SoW will favor one GPU architecture over the other (if one GPU holds a significant performance advantage over it's competitor; if it's close I'd be for diverting the money savings to a better PC component).
I suppose that unless Oleg or Luthier is willing to chime in this is just a useless thread. I hope someone can see where I was trying to go with this.
Flyby out
Old 12-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I am leaning towards a single GPU solution to start things off. Coincidentally I just read the review of the GTX-570 over at Tom's before coming here. Nicely priced, but for $30.00 more one can go with two Radeon 6850s in Xfire. Thing is sometimes the 570 outperforms that combo, like in Hawx2: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,2806-4.html
and sometimes it loses to that combo, as in Battlefield_Bad Company2: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...e,2806-11.html

So, with the cost being relatively close (Red = $380.00, Green = $350.00) it seems to me be be important to know if SoW will favor one GPU architecture over the other (if one GPU holds a significant performance advantage over it's competitor; if it's close I'd be for diverting the money savings to a better PC component).
I suppose that unless Oleg or Luthier is willing to chime in this is just a useless thread. I hope someone can see where I was trying to go with this.
Flyby out

Nope
Old 12-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Approved Member

Jeeez.. some people are blind and they just don't get it!!!

We're all waiting for SOW to appear before we buy any upgrades.....
Forget all that sh1t about graphics engines.. they'll al be cr.ap compared to the SOW one - Keh !!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Thanks for replying,
Flyby out
As mentioned... Oleg's team coded their own engine for IL-2 and they have coded their own engine essentially from the ground up for Storm of War as well. That is how talented the team is and how big in scale this project is.

It's been mentioned that the graphics APIs being used will be DX9, 10 and 11. We don't know all of the details (does it support DX10.1? Not sure) but suffice to say any of the current top of the line cards should be alright.

nVidia based cards may have slight edge...but the AMD ones are becoming a solid bunch and with DirectX being the API of choice now it should be fairly even. In the past nVidia had the edge in OpenGL API implementation.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

Flyby out
Well, if u get 2x6850 your pretty much at a dead end after that (lets face it, who runs 3 or 4 gpus)

If u get 570 u can later on upgrade to sli when they get cheaper, and like u say 570 sometimes beats 2x6850, costing less. In my book that makes the choice pretty obviouse.

1 gpu solution ALWAYS beats a 2 gpu solution of equal or slightly better power imo. Especially when the 1 gpu solution is cheaper.

In this instance 2x6850 has nothing going for it, nada, silch, zero.

Lol, dont know in how many other ways i can give u hints.

As far as wich brand will run SoW better (if any) i would guess Nvidia for reason given in earlier posts.

Last edited by Baron; 12-09-2010 at 10:56 PM.