Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:29 AM
Approved Member

Default Anyone experienced using big HDTV to play flight sims?

I want advice from people here about to use HDTV to play Il2/SOW anf racing sims.
I'm using a 1920x1200 26" LCD Acer monitor , very satisfied with the quality of image , but I would like something bigger.
I'm thinking about a 52'' LCD or 42" LED full HD with 120 Hz refresh rate.
I will play from 3,5 feet away.
Are there any difference in quality from a 26"monitor to a HDTV like those I mentioned?( dot pitch?)
Modern GPU all have HDMI connectors?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:47 AM
Approved Member

just for giggles, I set up IL2 (modded) on my new Mac Mini hooked to my 63" plasma over HDMI ... looks cool and plays great....
Old 08-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Approved Member

I tried it a few years ago on a 46" widescreen HDTV.
It looked pretty good but I cannot remember what resolution I had to use.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Approved Member

I'm currently using my LG 32in LCD (1024x768x60) with the AA and AF cranked up and it looks fantastic. I've found that with flight simulators large screens are great. With FPS and large screens it's just the opposite.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuchele View Post
I'm using a 1920x1200 26" LCD Acer monitor , very satisfied with the quality of image , but I would like something bigger.

I'm thinking about a 52'' LCD or 42" LED full HD with 120 Hz refresh rate.
I will play from 3,5 feet away.
your biggest problem is going to be the very large pixel sizes on the HDTV, and the fact you will be sitting very close to the screen. a 52' lcd tv will have very large pixels, and at such a close viewing distance it will look blocky. SD and HD tv's have an "ideal viewing distance" that takes this into account, and you will normally be sitting at least 3 meters away from a HDTV that is 50'. an additional problem is that the 50' screen, and you intending to sit very close to it, is that the screen is a single large flat slab in front of you, and doesnt encircle you

a much better bet imho would be to use multiple monitors (with multiple gfx cards), and use 3 monitors to increase your peripheral vision (using large 1920 x 1200 flatscreens would be your best bet in bang per buck). another alternative would be a single projector with a curved screen (you can buy "small" curved 46' and larger projection screens)
Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
your biggest problem is going to be the very large pixel sizes on the HDTV, and the fact you will be sitting very close to the screen. a 52' lcd tv will have very large pixels, and at such a close viewing distance it will look blocky. SD and HD tv's have an "ideal viewing distance" that takes this into account, and you will normally be sitting at least 3 meters away from a HDTV that is 50'. an additional problem is that the 50' screen, and you intending to sit very close to it, is that the screen is a single large flat slab in front of you, and doesnt encircle you

a much better bet imho would be to use multiple monitors (with multiple gfx cards), and use 3 monitors to increase your peripheral vision (using large 1920 x 1200 flatscreens would be your best bet in bang per buck). another alternative would be a single projector with a curved screen (you can buy "small" curved 46' and larger projection screens)
+1

As long as your eyes can see the dots (or don't need to rest your eyes), I don't see a good reason to enlarge the screen whilst keeping the same resolution. Even a 40" HDTV is not good from the usual PC viewing distances IMO... And if you put it back further, you could have achieved the same effect with a smaller monitor positioned closer.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian265 View Post
And if you put it back further, you could have achieved the same effect with a smaller monitor positioned closer.
Eyes, don't forget the eyes. Forcing them to focus on closer object results in more eye fatigue. If you have to look at screen for long periods (like working with computer or playing too long), you can become nearsighted. That is why large monitor is good thing: you can put it farrier away.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Approved Member

But it looks strange to me coupling three monitors side by side because the borders of the monitors.
Aren´t they immersion killers?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaltysZ View Post
Eyes, don't forget the eyes. Forcing them to focus on closer object results in more eye fatigue. If you have to look at screen for long periods (like working with computer or playing too long), you can become nearsighted. That is why large monitor is good thing: you can put it farrier away.
True. Which is why I said "or you don't need to rest your eyes". Been there, done that... Study/work/games, all close up stuff, I became short sighted around the end of my schooling.

Quote:
But it looks strange to me coupling three monitors side by side because the borders of the monitors.
I've read that some people quickly get used to it, I think I would also. But bear in mind that you don't see any extra detail on a 52" 1080P screen than a 23" 1080P screen, unless your eyes couldn't see the smaller monitor clearly.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
most people seem to get used to it very quickly. after a little while the 3 screens just blend into one surface in your brain and you forget about the bezels.

note: this is presuming you are using monitors with thin bezels, and use software that blends the monitors correctly into one image without "pillars"

classic example of using 3 monitors: see youtube

personally i intend to use 1 widescreen 27' central monitor, with on either side a 19' in landscape mode. using this you get significantly increased peripheral vision yet dont need a monster pc to run it (2 medium end modern gfx cards should drive all 3 monitors, with the 2 19' units being equal to one additional 1920 x 1200 monitor )

as used in this setup (except he is using a central 30' with 2 additional 20's, but the idea is the same)

like seen in the attached image

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dell3007wfp04uy2.jpg (50.1 KB, 191 views)