Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 07-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Approved Member

Default Men of War question

I just bought this, cause a lot of my clanmmates got it for the steam sale so we could play it online... I tried the demo and the free MP for 2 weeks a while back and thought it was micro hell... so I was wondering do you guys have any tips?

I like the OPTIONS the game offers, such as being able to split squads up and pick up weapons etc... but in the heat of battle it's nearly impossible (at least for me) to manage that kind of thing.

One thing I appreciated about CoH (which was a great game regardless of whether it was "unrealistic) was that it was pretty light on the micro. Your men were in squads and you would give orders to them as a group (such as throwing grenades). You didn't have to stop, select that one guy, select the grenade, throw it, and then select the whole squad to get the guy back in the group. Or for example, when you had a ranger squad (one of whose members carries a zooka), you didn't have to select that one guy, you could just order the whole squad to attack the tank or whatever it was and bam, the AI was smart enough to get the guy with the zooka to kill it.

Am I missing something here? I would KILL for a way to select a squad AS A WHOLE and order them to throw grenades (or rocket launcher or whatever) as a group, instead of having to select that one individual guy to do it.

Sometimes, it's nice to be able to have individual soldiers running around, for scouting etc... but most of the time I want them staying in squads so I'm not controlling like 40 different units at once! (all of whom need to be carefully looked after and put in cover)

Last edited by noxnoctum; 07-04-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:18 AM
Approved Member

I dont think there is a way to ease up the micro in this game....its kinda redorkulous like that but that makes this game soo much fun. While you like the squad system in COH, I absolutely love the individual man thing in MoW haha. I like it how you actually can pick one guy, Dirct Control him and nade some bastards. That thing in CoH about how you move a squad and 1 guy gets caught in a machinegun and the whole squd suppresses and pins. Or artillry goes off and drills your whole squad. In this game, you get caught in a MG, or arty, your for one, dead lickty split but you can move just one guy and lose just one guy instead of sitting there w/ a clump of 1 or 2 squads getting reamed. The Microing in this game is tedious and clunky, made only worse by the clunky interface but the micro is what I always wanted in a RTS and makes this game that much more fun for me. The only real fix to the Micro problem is play the game, figure out the quirks, and get your self better w/ the Micro...I secretly dont micro that well and tend to kinda clump up but meh haha.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxnoctum View Post
Am I missing something here? I would KILL for a way to select a squad AS A WHOLE and order them to throw grenades (or rocket launcher or whatever) as a group, instead of having to select that one individual guy to do it.
Well, in fact you can. If you select the whole squad or a group of soldiers and you click on the tank to attack it, only one of them will attempt to assault it with an AT nade or bazooka. But it is not the best way to do that coz: AI moves only in straight lines and doesn't throw nades as far as in DC.
I agree with KnightFandragon. The whole micro is the beauty of MoW but it takes time to get used to and it is a good idea to personalise the assignment of the keys, esp to make to nades more handy.

As I see it, MoW is not about micromanaging 40 units at once. It is much more important to know how to place your units so that they will support each other effectively and you only micro those high priority units (for me I can micro 3 or 4 at once) which might cause max damage in a given situation. Sometimes it is very hard, esp if your opponents is very aggressive and keep on attacking your from all directions.

Last edited by CzaD; 07-05-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Approved Member

Yeah I was a big fan of CoH well apart from spending 2 days updating it anywho

I'm still a noob myself, but what I tend to do is call in an infantry squad to a safe point and then select them in ones and twos to position them.

I'm still working on bringing up my level of aggression, but when trying to capture a defended flag I try to send troops in different directions with mortar support. Not that it always works, but I really don't like sending my men to their deaths by rushing head long into the flag zone.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Approved Member

It is simple, DON'T GO ANYWHERE NEAR MULTIPLAYER UNTIL YOU HAVE FINISHED AT LEAST 1 SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN.

No offence mate, but noobs are really annoying to play with and against in multiplayer.

My tips for you:
remap the keys. I remapped the direction keys to a classic FPS setup (move the camera with wasd).
Just be patient =) you will improve after a while. Try to play campaign either in single or in COOP with fellow noobs so that you can gradually learn the game.

Last edited by Nikitns; 07-05-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Approved Member

More nooby hate nice one Nikitns .

The single player game doesn't play anything like the MP sure you're going to learn the buttons, but that's about it.

It is worthwhile steering clear of games with people sporting more than 2 pips as the games tend to be more fun when playing people of around the same level.

As I've said in my post about a fair fight more often than not high ranking players don't care for a even match up and will gang up vs noobs and oh what fun steamrolling is, NOT!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Approved Member

yeah, that's why I said it is NO FUN playing AGAINST noobs. If I see a server with 4-5 high ranks on one team, against other team filled with noobs, I insult the retard host and leave.

Though seriously, I'm telling you, single player LEARNS YOU how to PLAY MEN OF WAR. Don't doubt my word mate, you can't go on multi without knowing the basics (and in MoW, even understanding the basics takes allot of time, especially direct control, armour penetration and the physics behind it, gun calibre and muzzle velocity, item uses, tactics etc etc).
Old 07-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Approved Member

Old 07-09-2010, 03:05 AM
Approved Member

what is that? pocket hammer?

Last edited by Nikitns; 07-09-2010 at 03:12 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikitns View Post
yeah, that's why I said it is NO FUN playing AGAINST noobs. If I see a server with 4-5 high ranks on one team, against other team filled with noobs, I insult the retard host and leave.

Though seriously, I'm telling you, single player LEARNS YOU how to PLAY MEN OF WAR. Don't doubt my word mate, you can't go on multi without knowing the basics (and in MoW, even understanding the basics takes allot of time, especially direct control, armour penetration and the physics behind it, gun calibre and muzzle velocity, item uses, tactics etc etc).
Though this will not work so well with the singleplayer as its clearly that the balistics/penetrations in the coop and singleplayer champaigns are clearly different to the multiplayer. Hence why the shaped charge is so ineffective (so much that its almost useless). Or that a sherman 76w can penetrate the front of the jagdpanther from long range.