Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:37 AM
Registered Member

Question Wings of Prey = BoP for the PC

I was thinking about getting an AV8r stick and about how it would work for the PC... and getting BoP for the PC. I did a search but haven't found it anywhere. Now I found this from Gaijin Entertainment:

http://www.airwargame.com/

aaaand now I'm officially confused. The assets look similar if not the same between Birds of Prey with Wings of Prey, just with the addition of what looks like planes and levels from the Pacific theater. Interesting that this doesn't look to have the "IL*Sturmovic" in the title.

Anyone have any more info about this? Due this year "exclusively for the PC". Is this the 'sequel' I've heard some of you complain about or is this just an expanded BoP for the PC? From the looks of it, it's just an expanded BoP.

Last edited by CENOBITE; 11-08-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:48 AM
Approved Member

yup, pretty much an expanded BoP, only for the PC.

That video on the site looks so good it really makes you wish it was on consoles though.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:59 AM
Registered Member

OK... weird. It's like I'm in 'bizzaro world'.

Traditionally, the PC title is always released first thanks to updates, patches, etc if anything is wrong... in order to recoup some budget $$$ to put into the console titles to get them ready to be released months later, because these days you make the money on the console titles.

Hmmm... maybe because this is a genre more popular on PC than consoles is why the 'golden child' is the PC version.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:22 AM
Registered Member

OK... found out more doing some searching at the yuPlay forum from a 'todace'

http://forum.yuplay.com/index.php?showtopic=109

Quote:
The game will cost 49,99%, Pre-order gives you 10$ discounts.
Also first users who pre-order game will be invited for massive MP beta test.
Game will be released this year.

The game includes lots of features that will be in sequel and\or future DLC\updates for console IL-2 Birds of Prey, like cockpits for all fighters, join-in-progress, host migration and so on.
There are also some exclusive features - supports of TripleHeade2Go, TrackIR and very high resolution textures (optional for 1Gb videocards).

Also we schedule some add-ons for this game early next year.

Ok, more details.
1. No custom skins will be available. May be later in updates or in sequel - we are working on lots of directions and User Generated Content too. But our game is much more complex in terms of content - so it is much harder to make skins too.
2. In fact main new features are:
Main: authentic bullet tracers, more relaistic rain effects, arcade realism level has now much more realistic speeds limits, all authentic cockpits for all fighters (may be in next DLC\update for console game too, but depends on publisher).
Multiplayer: 32 players in match, Join-in-Progress, Migration Host, Persistent lobby (and lots of fixes, some of them are the same as in update, some are new), changes in team modes gameplay scheme (now only Allies against Axis available)
Single: optional take-offs in some missions.

After release we plan to release som-addons with planes\missions\locations (that is to be detailed).
Also we want to make som UGC support - skins or\and missions (or just advanced quick mission builder). But that is future plans for next year.
more info there. So this isn't the sequel. That will be another game for PC and consoles later next year. Let's hope the features from this are released for BoP at some point so they are both equal titles.

And again it's all up to the publisher... c'mon. Why are you sitting on this update? I don't think I've seen such an odd decision to wait on releasing an update since working for THQ. Something must be up that they aren't telling us about.

Last edited by CENOBITE; 11-08-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:08 AM
Approved Member

Most likely a mixture of a language barrier problem.. but more likely a communication strategy between 505 and Gaijin that was modeled off of the pre 9/11 FBI/CIA intelligence sharing...

I think it's coming soon though...
Old 11-09-2009, 04:05 AM
Approved Member

I know what a "bird of prey" is but what is a "wing of prey?" I've never seen a wing attack and kill anything. Maybe if a plane is destroyed in midair, and its wing flies through the air and hits another plane, maybe that's a "wing of prey."
Old 11-09-2009, 04:55 AM
Approved Member

Gotta say, I'm not crazy about that name either. Wing of prey sounds like you went hunting and "just winged him" but didn't get a kill. LOL
Question is: BOP we already have. BOP sequel next year. This game lands somewhere in the middle, with more features than BOP but less content than next years game. Is it worth it to be able to play it on pc?
I don't know yet. May buy it on principle for support, but not sure I just need it rather than getting the sequel I know I'll want next year.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:34 AM
Approved Member

Name doesn't bother me. But I do hope it stands up against BOP, and doesn't feel so unfinished. But seeing a bit of it, Wings of Prey doesn't seem so bad.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Approved Member

I don't know how you guys feel but to me this whole thing smells like rotten fish. Why was this enhanced PC version kept secret for so long? I have a gaming rig too and would not have bought BoP (plus the DLC) for console if I had known it was coming out for PC only a couple of months later.

It's like they were waiting to fool as many flight simmers as they could into buying the inferior Beta console versions, and then they come along only a month and a half after the console release and say "oh by the way here's an upgraded version for PC that has additional content, corrected flight models, better multiplayer, superior graphics AND costs less. You silly Western consumers get to buy our game all over again LOL! And then next year we're coming out with a sequel too to fleece you some more! But this time it will only be on consoles (wink wink). This time you can trust us! LOL"

Wings of Prey? More like Wings of Deception.

Last edited by Rufus_the_Rat; 11-09-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_the_Rat View Post
I don't know how you guys feel but to me this whole thing smells like rotten fish. Why was this enhanced PC version kept secret for so long? I have a gaming rig too and would not have bought BoP (plus the DLC) for console if I had known it was coming out for PC only a couple of months later.

It's like they were waiting to fool as many flight simmers as they could into buying the inferior Beta console versions, and then they come along only a month and a half after the console release and say "oh by the way here's an upgraded version for PC that has additional content, corrected flight models, better multiplayer, superior graphics AND costs less. You silly Western consumers get to buy our game all over again LOL! And then next year we're coming out with a sequel too to fleece you some more! But this time it will only be on consoles (wink wink). This time you can trust us! LOL"

Wings of Prey? More like Wings of Deception.
In my opinion, I think the devs were just bored waiting for the patch to be approved.