Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 03-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Approved Member

Default AMD CPU's

Hi, I have a two year old AMD motherboard (Asus M4N68T) and I'm planning to upgrade it as high as possible. Could you give me expert opinions is AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T 2,8 GHz any good with IL2 CoD? That's the highest AMD CPU I can find suitable for my mobo anymore. Videocard is also on the list so hints would be appreciated!

Memory will be 8 G and that also I will buy the highest my mobo takes. Plan is that I could run IL2 CoD pretty much with the highest settings. I have a full HD display so eye candy would be nice but I understand that maybe it would need even faster CPU. Any estimates you can give would be great.

I know that AMD's are not as fast as Intels but at the moment I'll do this upgrade first and then later on I'll switch to Intel.

Thanks for your comment,

br
Karvis

PS. Here's a good list for CPU benchmarks:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karvis View Post
Hi, I have a two year old AMD motherboard (Asus M4N68T) and I'm planning to upgrade it as high as possible. Could you give me expert opinions is AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T 2,8 GHz any good with IL2 CoD? That's the highest AMD CPU I can find suitable for my mobo anymore. Videocard is also on the list so hints would be appreciated!

Memory will be 8 G and that also I will buy the highest my mobo takes. Plan is that I could run IL2 CoD pretty much with the highest settings. I have a full HD display so eye candy would be nice but I understand that maybe it would need even faster CPU. Any estimates you can give would be great.

I know that AMD's are not as fast as Intels but at the moment I'll do this upgrade first and then later on I'll switch to Intel.

Thanks for your comment,

br
Karvis

PS. Here's a good list for CPU benchmarks:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
That CPU should be plenty. What videocard you looking at and what size power supply you have?
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Approved Member

Mayhab have look at also:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Components,1/CPU,1/
Old 03-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the quick comment! Actuallally, I do not know what videocard could be good. At the moment I have GeForce 9800GT so I guess that with quite reasonable amount of euro's I could get a better one. Maybe Radeon HD 6850 1 GB... or something else from that same price category 150-200 euros.

Here's my current PC which needs to be upgraded:
Asus M4N68T motherboard
AMD PHENOM II X2 550 3,1 GHz
KINGSTON 4GB 1600MHZ memory
WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR GP 500GT SATA2 7200 32MT
GIGABYTE GF 9800GT 1GB
Windows 7 64bit
OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 500W power
Old 03-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Approved Member

The 6950 2GB should be soon in this price region with the 7950 out.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Thanks for the quick comment! Actuallally, I do not know what videocard could be good. At the moment I have GeForce 9800GT so I guess that with quite reasonable amount of euro's I could get a better one. Maybe Radeon HD 6850 1 GB... or something else from that same price category 150-200 euros.

Asus M4N68T motherboard
GIGABYTE GF 9800GT 1GB
Windows 7 64bit
I don't know how much graphic cards costs where u live but here in Finland you can get a Geforce GTX 560 for around 150€. It will more than suffice for CloD especially after the performance patch has been released. I have a humble EVGA GTX 550ti and it runs CloD perfectly with everything set to high (except building details and forests of course).
Old 03-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

Asus M4N68T motherboard
GIGABYTE GF 9800GT 1GB
Windows 7 64bit
Im running a 3.2Ghz quad core athlon II and an HD6850. For the most part it runs pretty well with most settings at medium (1280X720 2X AA). Shadows are still a framerate killer so ive had shadows turned off and I get a big jump in fps.

And if the next update is near what they claim for performance I should be able to almost max out all settings with the exception of shadows!!
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 03-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Approved Member

Hi everybody,
thanks to all! I think I'll go for the 6-core 1055T. I have no hurry so maybe I wait and see how markets go with the videocards and hopefully that patch is released soon.

Addman: what processor are you using? And yes, from Finland. Flying IL2 since 2002. And in real life gliders too...

From the technical point of view GTX 560 and HD6850 have not that much difference:
http://www.hwcompare.com/11006/gefor...adeon-hd-6850/

But thanks for all, you gave me a good perspective what to look for.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Hi everybody,
thanks to all! I think I'll go for the 6-core 1055T. I have no hurry so maybe I wait and see how markets go with the videocards and hopefully that patch is released soon.

Addman: what processor are you using? And yes, from Finland. Flying IL2 since 2002. And in real life gliders too...

From the technical point of view GTX 560 and HD6850 have not that much difference:
http://www.hwcompare.com/11006/gefor...adeon-hd-6850/

But thanks for all, you gave me a good perspective what to look for.
Hi! I have an Intel Core i3 2120 dual core CPU @ 3,3GHz and let me tell you, it's the best CPU I've had so far. I got it last week, before that I've been almost exclusively an AMD user, last CPU I had was a Phenom II 965BE x 4 core and that was better than my Athlon II 425 x 3 that I had before that but my new i3 is even better than the 965 though it's only a dual core. I run it together with an EVGA GeForce GTX 550ti (factory overclocked) and CloD runs fluently.

I had a Sapphire HD 6850 before and it's a good card but any 560 is better I think, here is a quick example http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...review-11.html

Since I've played CloD with both AMD and Nvidia cards/CPU's it seems that Nvidia gives better performance. My i3 together with the GTX 550 runs CloD better than my "old" Phenom II 965BE with a HD 6850 did. The 6850's can be found for cheap right now so if you need to save money I say go for the 6850 but if you want better performance and can afford it buy a GTX 560.

terveisin

P.S I wouldn't look too much at hwcompare, it only shows numbers not real testing on different games.

Last edited by addman; 03-26-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:48 AM
Approved Member

Hi
thanks addman for your advice. It is very important that one can get real life estimates of different hardware configurations and the performance with the game because numbers do not tell everything. In Finland we call it "perstuntuma" . GTX 560 sounds OK with me.

It is difficult to find best 4-core for my mobo anymore (Phenom IIX4 970 for example) but as I said 6-core 1055T is available still and that most likely has enough power to feed GTX 560 and five me better performance with CoD than my current PC.