Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Approved Member

Default Gun convergence calculator

Hi everyone,

I've drafted a spreadsheet that should help folks with their (edit) HORIZONTAL convergence settings. It is attached to this post in a zip file. I have posted this very gingerly - see last sentence on this post.

It calculates the range to an optimum firing area (impact zone) in terms of distance from your aircraft both in meters and in yards (for allied gunsights) based on three variables that you enter yourself.

The variables you enter are
1. your convergence setting, and
2. the desired size of the impacts zone/ spread of your bullets.
3. the distance between your outer guns (current set to 7m to approximate spitfires)

The default in the sheet is set to s convergence of 150m and a desired impact spread of 1m. It shows that you can fire on any aircraft from between 128 and 171m distance and still achieve the desired bullet spread.

I don't know if this will help anyone.... it's kinda useful to me to get some quick results on likely convergence cones before going through the laborious process of in-game testing.

I'm not a mathematician, and this sheet is just based on my memory of high school maths.... so it might have errors.... but it seems to check out to me. I'd happily accept corrections.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 92SQN_pstyle_convergence_calculator.zip (4.5 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by pstyle; 06-14-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Approved Member

Cant open it. .xls what is that? Microsoft offices or something (yes I know its a spread sheet).

Ive started using google docs for displaying spreadsheets online, its quite good. However I assume you made this to be interactive which it would not be wth google docs.

So what can I use to open it? Open orafice?
Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5./JG27.Farber View Post
Cant open it. .xls what is that? Microsoft offices or something (yes I know its a spread sheet).

Ive started using google docs for displaying spreadsheets online, its quite good. However I assume you made this to be interactive which it would not be wth google docs.

So what can I use to open it? Open orafice?
Try here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/
GTX 560
Old 06-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5./JG27.Farber View Post
sorry, it's a Microsoft XL spreadsheet.

But open office will open it...
Old 06-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for sharing this, it opens fine with Openoffice.

Forgive my complete ignorance of mathematics and partial ignorance about convergence but is this calculation for horizontal convergence only? Or, does it take into account the distance parabola as well?

Cheers,

Septic.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Septic View Post
Thanks for sharing this, it opens fine with Openoffice.

Forgive my complete ignorance of mathematics and partial ignorance about convergence but is this calculation for horizontal convergence only? Or, does it take into account the distance parabola as well?

Cheers,

Septic.
good point.
horizontal only.
I think the parabola arc (vertical drop) has some more complex math (for my skills level).
Old 06-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyle View Post
good point.
horizontal only.
I think the parabola arc (vertical drop) has some more complex math (for my skills level).
The parabola arc is also influenced by the plane angle itself, so I don´t see the point trying to adress that for a generic case.
GTX 560
Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Approved Member

Anyone know the gun to gun span on the Hurricane?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Approved Member

i remember an excellent series in SimHQ about convergence and deflection:

http://www.simhq.com/_air10/air_312a.html

And there is another tool in excel, including plane speeds and angle allowing to calculate deflection.

http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...p=show&kid=296

Cheers!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyle View Post
Hi everyone,

I've drafted a spreadsheet that should help folks with their (edit) HORIZONTAL convergence settings. It is attached to this post in a zip file. I have posted this very gingerly - see last sentence on this post.

It calculates the range to an optimum firing area (impact zone) in terms of distance from your aircraft both in meters and in yards (for allied gunsights) based on three variables that you enter yourself.

The variables you enter are
1. your convergence setting, and
2. the desired size of the impacts zone/ spread of your bullets.
3. the distance between your outer guns (current set to 7m to approximate spitfires)

The default in the sheet is set to s convergence of 150m and a desired impact spread of 1m. It shows that you can fire on any aircraft from between 128 and 171m distance and still achieve the desired bullet spread.

I don't know if this will help anyone.... it's kinda useful to me to get some quick results on likely convergence cones before going through the laborious process of in-game testing.

I'm not a mathematician, and this sheet is just based on my memory of high school maths.... so it might have errors.... but it seems to check out to me. I'd happily accept corrections.
Pardon me but I am a complete mathematics idiot. Any instructions on how to use this?