Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Approved Member

Default What the hell happened to exhaust manifold flames?

I don't know whether its just me but the manifold flames for the Spitfire and Hurricane have been toned down to almost nothing. Before when you started the engine there would be a few large tongues of flame followed by continuous almost invisible stubby flames that would be there for the duration of flight. Now I can only see the large tongues of flame at startup or sometimes when the engine is fried, however the stubby flames seem to have been removed completely.
It all started when the Su-26 was introduced and somehow, probably through a copy & paste error the Hurricane seemed to acquire an invisible set of Su-26 exhaust manifolds from which you could see the flames glowing through the floor of the cockpit. Rather than repairing the problem it seems like instead they removed all but the larger flames completely, which is a real shame because I used to like to lean out of the cockpit on takeoff or approach and watch the flames flickering away which gave the sense of flying a living engine powered plane. Now its like flying a lifeless model.

Does anyone else have this?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Approved Member

Well, if its only that...
Old 10-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Approved Member

This should improves fps.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Approved Member

The exhaust flames were one of the coolest things about the detail in this sim. It's something I'd show my friends if they are watching me fly because it looks so damn cool.

Were you trying to see them in the daytime? Maybe try at night? In the last official patch I remember you could not see them during the day during flight but only at dusk, evening, or night. As it should be most likely? I know in a few of the RC patches they were almost too bright during the day correct?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Approved Member

Early morning they look awesome same with late eve. can even see them flickering on wing root
Old 10-24-2012, 03:54 AM
Approved Member

Don't understand this post...they look great on my machine, in fact better than ever... Blue if you have the Mix right... true not very visible in bright light as it should be. Check the screens in full screen...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clod Flight 12-20-12 (11)[1].jpg (101.7 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg LT Gravesend Dawn (1)[1].jpg (87.0 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg Various from 10-20-12 (1).jpg (90.4 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by MegOhm; 11-02-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegOhm View Post
Don't understand this post...they look great on my machine, in fact better than ever... Blue if you have the Mix right... true not very visible in bright light as it should be. Check the screens in full screen
What is so hard to understand? In game, I don't see the flames like in your screenshot, period. So I asked if anyone else could still see them. But thanks for your reply, its obviously something my end, though I re-installed the game the other day and tried a flight at night and still nothing. though I agree they should be a touch brighter.

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys.

Last edited by Slipstream2012; 10-24-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:28 AM
Approved Member

yo MegOhm's flames look about right, this ain't those funny cars or muscle car stunt shows or old school 3rd - 4th gen jet fighter afterburners.

click in the pix to expand to see the big size j/k

but you're right, on one patch you could see them during mid day . . . but I felt that seemed a little far fetched b/c I've seen piston (incl spits) start up mid day at the air shows and I barely catch the flames or didn't even see them at all . . .

maybe play with video card settings or in game settings? I remember alot of spec efx in portal 2 weren't showing up until I toyed with the settings.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro View Post
yo MegOhm's flames look about right, this ain't those funny cars or muscle car stunt shows or old school 3rd - 4th gen jet fighter afterburners.

click in the pix to expand to see the big size j/k

but you're right, on one patch you could see them during mid day . . . but I felt that seemed a little far fetched b/c I've seen piston (incl spits) start up mid day at the air shows and I barely catch the flames or didn't even see them at all . . .

maybe play with video card settings or in game settings? I remember alot of spec efx in portal 2 weren't showing up until I toyed with the settings.
Yes his flames look spot on, I just don't see them like that even at night. I don't see them at all, but I'll try the playing with the settings as you suggest.
Thanks for your advice
Old 10-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Approved Member

In my system flames still, like MegaOhn pictures, not "spectacular" like in firts versions, but seems OK.
In first Quick Mission, the blue flame is noticeabele at 9:00 (am) if you look the escape in oposite side of sun light.

HD7970 - 12.10 drivers.

Sokol1