Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Approved Member

Default Camera Angle for Replay's in SOW. This would be a Movie-makers dream camera angle.

Okay, so the issue regarding flying the aircraft and not seeing the Pilots Legs or Arms (hand on control stick) has, well and truly been covered.

This is not that request!!!!!

We have all seen the beautiful detailing in the cockpit, the lighting effects shown in the videos, so here's the request.

In IL2, during normal flight, there are no-arms and legs shown from the First-Person POV when flying. When the camera cuts to an external view, there sits the pilot, his head turning and tracking enemy aircraft. So-far, that's what is expected.

The above can also be seen in replays from outside of the cockpit, that the pilot is visible and his head is turning around and tracking objects.

So, here is the question.

I don't care too-much for the pilot being visible in First Person View when flying, but for replay's could the option be added to have this camera view from inside the cockpit, looking back at the pilot, added?

Now it may be more FPS intensive, but it is a player option on replays.

I feel we will have the already great camera range that we have (and Oleg has said there will be more), but check this video out, and imagine this camera angle in a replay swarming through a hive of enemy aircraft. Imagine the white markers the pilot goes past as ground object of WW2 or even enemy aircraft coming in the opposite direction and being able to use this camera angle to watch forward and then watch the pilot reacting.

The light tracing across him in SOW as the aircraft rolls, would be......outstanding.

All I ask is that you use your imagination and put the camera angles into a battle scenario and this would be an amazing camera angle/option to add.

Cheers, MP

Old 11-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Approved Member

+1
Great idea!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Approved Member

Wow, that was an eye opener, those guys are really pushing it. Reminds me of the Polikarpov I-16 and some edge-of-reflex chimney-racing I've done in-game.

As for the in-cockpit camera angles used in the video, I'd like to see both of those available in SOW. Or better yet, an adjustable camera centered on the pilot.

But...would the pilot animations be up to it? For me anyway, the main point of those shots is not the stuff you can see in the background, as useful as that would be, but the reactions of the pilot to what's going on. If those reactions weren't detailed and accurate enough it would only emphasize the artificiality of the whole scene IMO.

I'd want to see the whole body moving as it should, and facial expressions changing, including losing and regaining consciousness due to blacking out etc. And of course that would then logically extend to showing injuries to the pilot, but I can't see that happening...

Anyway, yeah, good idea, but what priorities such things have I don't know. I imagine it would be possible to do, but would take some work, even if not done in great detail.