Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:13 AM
Approved Member

Default Yak-3 Video

So while I sit here bored at work, NOTHING is happening at all. I decided to go on Youtube, and see what I could find about my favorite Russian plane. Well, here it is. Best plane AND video ever put on Youtube. Enjoy.

Also, one last important thing. If you don't understand Russian, then you won't get it. But the video's cool.

Also, I found a video on the Yak-15; which is just a Yak-3 with a jet engine, and reinforced airframe. Also, if you don't understand Russian. Just enjoy the video.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:37 AM
Approved Member

you're right SA, i couldn't understand a word but those were nice videos. i especially loved the gun cam footage and the shot of the yak's flying in formation.

thanks for sharing!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:51 AM
Registered Member

I also like the music from CONAN in the background.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:54 AM
Registered Member

Hey, Soviet Ace... What is that part close to the end at 5:22 where they show a Spitfire? Are they testing a Yak-3 vs the performance of a Spit?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CENOBITE View Post
Hey, Soviet Ace... What is that part close to the end at 5:22 where they show a Spitfire? Are they testing a Yak-3 vs the performance of a Spit?
Yeah. After WW2, the Normandie Nimen French Squadron, which flew Yak-3s on the Russian side. Came back, with their Yaks as a gift from Russia, and the British and French Normandie Nimen pilots tested the Spitfire and Yak-3 against one another. From what I gather, the Yak-3 won on the Rolling and other things at lower altitudes. (Not being biased, that's what my Russian friend said here at work. But he could have been biased? I dunno.)

Glad you guys liked them. Also, in the Yak-15 movie, the little wheel is the Trim Wheel, incase you didn't know.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

Haha, you actually posted these videos. Men and your damn "flying machines". Wish there was a movie on Lilya.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Approved Member

hey soviet is that yak`15 the same plane that is on the front of the il2 1946 cover ???
i like it
Old 11-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Approved Member

It may have been in a part I didn't understand but I doubt it would be in a video like that at all: do you know the yak-3's optimal corner speed?

I have a general idea the neighborhood of it in BOP but turn rate varies quite a bit so it would be a great thing to know in precise kph. Or what's "corner speed" called in Русская авиация so I can hunt it down with google?
Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilya Litvak View Post
Haha, you actually posted these videos. Men and your damn "flying machines". Wish there was a movie on Lilya.
Dork, I've shown you a bunch of videos on Lilya Litvak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz1971 View Post
hey soviet is that yak`15 the same plane that is on the front of the il2 1946 cover ???
i like it
Nah, that would be the Yak-15s ugly cousin the MiG-9. I tried finding a MiG-9 video, but they were all just crummy 1946 videos, that weren't very well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzm0 View Post
It may have been in a part I didn't understand but I doubt it would be in a video like that at all: do you know the yak-3's optimal corner speed?

I have a general idea the neighborhood of it in BOP but turn rate varies quite a bit so it would be a great thing to know in precise kph. Or what's "corner speed" called in Русская авиация so I can hunt it down with google?
Don't know off hand, but I think the Yak-3 had a turning speed of around 10-12 seconds. And if you could, tell us what pieces you know from the videos. And what they're saying.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Approved Member

The yak-3 fighter is the pilot's (some nickname, I think) (that's how one pilot described the front-line fighter?) (something) late in 1940, and became one of the most important fighter planes of ww2, an example of (too fast) ... was first deployed to the front in 1942 to face the Messerschmitt (bf) 109 5(?E?) ... (something too fast about earlier variants and yak-1 and mass-producing them) then they were constructed in (too fast). After that it was called yak-1, and future versions received the designation yak-1M,
m for "Москит" (if that's "mosquito," it's a damn good name). Then they switched to developing a plane with a faster (...?) attack...

That's about the percentage of a native-Russian narration that I can pick up without listening over and over again or using словарь for the less-usual words.

I would rather turn in 10 seconds than 12 seconds... I would run tests in training mode but I don't have a stopwatch