Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Approved Member

Default Which Throttle Quadrant to buy

I'm thinking of getting one..

I like the Saitek because of the slim design and the clamp setup.

But I have heard someone say there was inaccurate spiking that caused anthropomorphic control setting issues??

Has anyone had better experiences with the CH quadrant?

Is there any decent throttle quadrant out there that works perfectly without spiking?

Cheers
Old 04-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Approved Member

Two Saitek Throttle Quadrants connected here (+ Saitek X45, +MS SW2 FFB, etc etc)

no spiking.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Approved Member

Just recieved my CH Quadrant yesterday to complete my HOTAS setup and I have to say it's a great product. Sturdy, quality build. Colored knobs can be replaced so you have the order you want for engine controls. 6 levers plus 6 buttons that can be pressed up or down for switches in the aircraft or whatever you want.

Loving it, really adds to the immersion factor!
Diamond HD 6970 2GB
16GB Corsair Vengence 1600mhz
22" Samsung LCD @ 60hz 1920x1080
Coolermaster Sniper Case
CH Hotas - Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Quadrant, Pro Pedals
Track IR 5 + Pro Clip
Old 04-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Approved Member

I've only the HOTAS setup from CH and it's really good, precise, sturdy and the software/driver offer a large field of possibilities. I had no problem with COD, no spiking. I've always heard good things about their products, but the design can be a concern for some people.
Here is a link to a test on SimHQ: http://www.simhq.com/_technology/technology_035a.html

But if you prefer the saitek go for it, the issue was rather an exeption than the norm.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Approved Member

Ahh good to hear so not all of the Saiteks will spike.

For the CH - don't you find the base a bit bulky?
For me, and the clamping to the desk and my desk layout, the Saitek looks like it would sit next to my warthog throttle a bit tighter.

I may only need the 3 levers although 6 can always be used but COD would be the only thing to use them as ROF doesn't need Trim.

What do you guys assign the first 3 axis to? Engine management or Trim?
Would Trim on a hat switch work ok? That's what I use in DCS like the A-10 but it may not be quick enough in a dogfight.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Approved Member

You can buy three saitek throttles for the price of one Thrustmaster Throttle quadrant
Old 04-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Approved Member

Thrustmaster does a quadrant?

Got a link?
Old 04-16-2011, 12:35 AM
Approved Member

These guys are more expensive but their gear is all metal and very reliable, customizable length and grip and very nice feel overall. On the Throttle quadrant you can place your palm on each of the 3 of the levers with ease. The middle ones I use as trims by placing my whole palm over them. This is my main Throttle, Prop Pitch, trimmers and Flaps controller.
http://www.goflightinc.com/htmlmail/20110412.htm
I have been using 7 of their controllers including the GG-TQ6 throttle quadrant for 7 years now.
Just so you have a more complete picture of what is available

The only problem I have with the CH throttle quadrant is that the travel of the levers is kind of short and you need two fingers to operate each lever. Otherwise they are accurate, sturdy and as you know, very programmable.
The Saitek is also accurate, it has a longer travel than the CH, the feel is good, better grip and the price is great. It is plastic like the CH but not flimsy by any means.

Last edited by KDN; 04-16-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Approved Member

Hi!

I guess I'm a bit unusual, Since I've got COD I've reinstalled my Saitek throttle quadrant and I'm using it with my TM Warthog Joystick.

I love my Warthog throttle in DCS:A10 but to me it just seems more natural for me to use the Saitek throttle in a WWII aircraft sim.

My Saitek throttles have had a couple of years of hard use now and I've had to pull them apart a couple of time to clean the pots, but apart from that I've haddn't had any problems with the sims I've been playing.

I guess one day when I get to know how to program my TM Throttle properly I'll hook it up for the switches but it's all a matter of time to learn how to do it.

Cheers
Old 04-18-2011, 05:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDN View Post
These guys are more expensive but their gear is all metal and very reliable, customizable length and grip and very nice feel overall. On the Throttle quadrant you can place your palm on each of the 3 of the levers with ease. The middle ones I use as trims by placing my whole palm over them. This is my main Throttle, Prop Pitch, trimmers and Flaps controller.
http://www.goflightinc.com/htmlmail/20110412.htm
I have been using 7 of their controllers including the GG-TQ6 throttle quadrant for 7 years now.
Just so you have a more complete picture of what is available

The only problem I have with the CH throttle quadrant is that the travel of the levers is kind of short and you need two fingers to operate each lever. Otherwise they are accurate, sturdy and as you know, very programmable.
The Saitek is also accurate, it has a longer travel than the CH, the feel is good, better grip and the price is great. It is plastic like the CH but not flimsy by any means.

Thanks, the Goflight do look interesting, but besides the price I want one I can clamp on and hence remove. It seems the Goflight need to screw down.

Also I probably only need 3 levers, since I have a dual warthog throttle that also has a rotary as well.

Yeah the CH the travel does look kind of short and stumpy. The Saitek looks to me better the way it angles outward as it would be on the end of my desk not next to my chair - so if it points out that's good.