Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Approved Member

Default Why buy game if play only on ARCADE mode???

I can not figure it out. For I bought this game on account of some great flight models and damage models...not to mention the challenges of flight while in simulated combat. Now, it seems soooo hard to find any servers BUT stupid arcade mode! Why did you guys that constantly play arcade even buy this game? There are other games out there that are geared mainly to the arcade fans. Please, try to learn how to fly in SIMULATION and enjoy the challenges. You are missing so much if not playing on a simulation map...the greater damage done to the various parts of planes when the bullets, of different types, slams into them is on thing that is not calculated in arcade mode.

Learn to play without padlocking onto a target and flying a WII plane like it is a UFO...arcade mode Lets face it....there is hardly any skill in arcade mode... combined with dumbed down flight models, lack of detail damage models and a host of other missing items that can only found in simulation mode.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

Why post to tell other people that only you play the game right?

Better tell the devs that putting arcade mode in was wrong because you were right, they should apologise and you are the true heir of Lenin... kkbye
Old 10-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Approved Member

To be fair, even the arcade setting on BoP handles a lot more realistically than most of the arcade focused air combat games. I like the balance in arcade mode. Not so arcadey that it feels fake, but not so focused on absolute realism that you sacrfice some of the fun for the people who aren't fans of total simulations.

Ive played flight simulators before, but with BoP, I have neither the time right now with college and a job, to work at mastering sim mode, or the money to invest in a flight stick that is pretty much a requirement for it.

I do acknowledge that sim pilots are definately the hardcore of the hardcore though. Personally, I find that too much simulation becomes kind of tedious and starts to take away some of the fun for me.

But yeah, just be happy that this game has a realism setting for all kinds of players, and enjoy the mode you enjoy the most. Don't get online and whine that people don't play a game the way YOU think it should be played. We all have different tastes. Some want ultra-realism and to really see what is was like for those pilots, and some just want to get on, dogfight, hit ground targets and hang out with friends in arcade mode for a couple hours.

Last edited by RCfalcon; 10-11-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCfalcon View Post
To be fair, even the arcade setting on BoP handles a lot more realistically than most of the arcade focused air combat games. I like the balance in arcade mode. Not so arcadey that (etc. etc.) to get on, dogfight, hit ground targets and hang out with friends in arcade mode for a couple hours.
+1
Old 10-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Approved Member

if you host it they will come
if you post it on here, they will come

letting people know location and what time you are on might help too

and arcade CTA after numerous beers can be VERY VERY silly
________
VAPOLUTION VAPORIZER

Last edited by juz1; 02-24-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCfalcon View Post
To be fair, even the arcade setting on BoP handles a lot more realistically than most of the arcade focused air combat games. I like the balance in arcade mode. Not so arcadey that it feels fake, but not so focused on absolute realism that you sacrfice some of the fun for the people who aren't fans of total simulations...
I agree. I enjoy arcade mode quite a bit! I usually turn off all the HUD info and fly in cockpit view. Very fun stuff...
Old 10-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeFan View Post
I agree. I enjoy arcade mode quite a bit! I usually turn off all the HUD info and fly in cockpit view. Very fun stuff...
I'd do that...if I had my 109 cockpit -_- lol, I can't wait for that patch so I can actually see the inside of my G-6.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Approved Member

I play all three modes, depending on my mood, and patient levels. I started out in Arcade, but now play mostly in Realistic mode. I sometimes switch to Sim mode when I feel like challenging myself. I like Sim, but the only issue I have with it is seeing. I know it is more real like it was in the era, but, I can't see well (I am an aging gamer) besides that, I am disabled, and sit about 12 feet from a 37" HDTV to play. So, I simply have a hard time seeing the foe in Sim, and most the time, end up shooting a friendly anyway. I DID play a game of CTA on Sim mode and it was a blast scanning the air field looking for a landed foe, as well as landing and hiding from a foe. I really did enjoy it allot. I have to admit though, I don't have near as much fun in dogfight, or team dogfight on Sim. I just can't find anyone, and usually end up just flying around, or practicing landings on my own somewhere.. I did the entire game on Arcade, and now in the process of re-doing it in realistic, and enjoying it again. On line, I play realistic when I can, and have converted "some" of my friends on line to realistic. Some of the others find it "hard". I like it a little hard and like to challenge myself. But, I DO like Realistic the best, because I can do more sim like in cockpit mode, but sometimes, I still like to actually see my plane and fly in 3rd person. I think it is fun to see the plane fly as well, so I switch back and forth between cockpit and 3rd person. So, my favorite game play is Realistic, but still do fly Sim every so often, and won't drop out of a game, just because it is Sim, I fly it anyway..

Bottom line, I LIKE the idea that the developers put all modes in the game. It gives me more than one way to play the game. It was smart to in a marketing sense as well.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Approved Member

Couldn't agree more, pick the level that suits you or your mood best. Will be going on line shortly (which will be a new experience for me) and will try whichever modes are available on Xbox. The Arcade 'damage' level is a bit too easy but flying the planes in combat (arcade level) is about on par with the early MS PC based combat sims and I found it hard using a game pad. Might well be that a lot of on-line players don't have the benefit of a joystick.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Approved Member

But you have to think arcade mode could be vastly improved by doing ONE simple thing.

Just use the same damn flight/damage model as in simulation BUT turn off the stalls.

Then people would actually use tactics - energy, speed differences in planes, and turn/roll rate differences.

As it is now, most prop planes fly like F-16's. That just kills it for me. Not only does it suck due to unrealistic speed, it sucks because of unrealistic acceleration and decelleration - so you get these fights where players repeatedly slam on the brakes, step on the gas, slam on the brakes, step on the gas - you want to puke after awhile.

If arcade was just simulation with stalls turned off, you'd have a hell of an easier time finishing off players because they couldn't take their smoking, swiss cheesed wreck and still accelerate to 1000 plus km/h ... you'd actually have a good shot at finishing off a damaged plane.

The space cadet speed and accelleration dynamic just adds an extra layer of frustration that didn't need to be added.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices that it's easier to finish off and get kills online on realistic and sim setting on a full server.