Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Approved Member

Default Spitfire : CloD vs A2A

Hi folks,

I thought I'd start a little discussion about comparing different games trying to represent the same aircraft. If this topic is inappropriate or in the wrong forum, feel free to delete it. I'm not trying to start a flame war or trying to prove if a game is better than another one. Just here to discuss about people's opinions of what each game does best, considering all aspects of the sim and aircraft.

A2A Sim:

CloD:

Which sim do you think better represents the Spitfire? For the engine sound, I don't know why, but I prefer the A2A sound. Graphics-wise, my vote would go for CloD.

What do you guys think? Do you have any experience to provide information about which flight model seems the most realistic?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Approved Member

Engine sound? Never sat in a Spit with the engine running, so how would I know?
Same goes for the flight model - how would I know, never flew one of those things.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Approved Member

We can still compare with real-life footage, if we're talking about the engine sound.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Approved Member

IMO the A2A Spit with Accusim package beats the CloD Spit hands down when it comes to the fidelity of the flight model, sounds, systems and general handling.

Of course the A2A spit doesn't feature weapons or a (battle) damage model and costs as much as CloD alone. Oh, and there are no Messerschmitts to shoot down.

For pure flying I load up FSX and take the A2A Spit out for a little romp around the countryside.

For a little taste how it was to fly a Spitfire in combat I load up CloD.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Approved Member

CloD A/C looks better

Ground/ terrain in A2A looks better

Can't tell anything about performance comparisons from videos, and I've only played CloD, not A2A
Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Approved Member

I have both. Not sure it's appropriate to discuss a competitor's product on the 1C Forum. That said, it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparo IMHO in that one is a game that's continuing to evolve and the other (A2A) is a study sim with huge detail but with the combat detail removed (weaponry and battle-damage modelling).

I've found both fun and educational.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Approved Member

I like them both very much. Completely different approach to the simulation, obviously, but as for representation of the actual a/c, A2A is the winner (mind you I have paid same amount of money for this single add-on as for whole Cliffs of Dover), but as for combat aircraft - you know what I mean

They both feel alright, quite similar in fact. Like a Spitfire. Early one. Lovely stuff.

I disagree with the terrain though - unless you buy and install some 3rd party stuff (OrbX), the FSX world looks quite awful. CloD is much better, but obviously represents smaller area.

I was wondering about one particular detail in both sims - Boost to RPM relation is slightly different and I was wondering which one is closer to the real thing. I'd say that in this particular case, 1C got it better than a2a.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Approved Member

It depends what you like to do in a sim. If you want to click tons of buttons and fly the thing to the book by yourself offline, the A2A sim is for you.

If you like air combat and blowing stuff up (me), CloD hands down. Damage model is insane not to mention flying online against other real people
Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
I have both. Not sure it's appropriate to discuss a competitor's product on the 1C Forum. That said, it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparo IMHO in that one is a game that's continuing to evolve and the other (A2A) is a study sim with huge detail but with the combat detail removed (weaponry and battle-damage modelling).

I've found both fun and educational.
Well, I'm not trying to sell their product, like I said before. If moderators see this thread as inappropriate, I have absolutely nothing against removing this topic.

I just like to compare for the sake of... well, fun, that is!

@Kestrel:

For me, it depends of my mood. I developed a taste for flying and blowing stuff up, although some other sims just fascinate me because of things like engine management, flight physics (geek & proud!) and authenticity. DCS games, for instance, are not that much about dogfighting. It's more about knowing the aircraft and its megatons of complex avionics and systems, how they work and their use during flight.

Although, I'll give you that, nothing beats the adrenaline rush you have when performing multiple flying scissors on Il-2 '46. That's all the thrill of WW2 combat sims, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by Charly_Owl; 04-24-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Approved Member

How do you get the zoom in and out to work like that in the second video?