Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 AM
71st_Mastiff

Default Population of IL2 4.08m

Just so you guys know, I did a little research and found this to be interesting after scanning IL2 servers we still have over 5000 End ussers playing on-line.

109 Servers

Now thats world wide.

Imagine if 1C was to further suport this current version and add-ons to it.

I have seen this game for sale in USA at Walmart and it's still going strong, young and old.

Big Salute to 1C and company. ~S~!
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back "
Asus||i7x5930k||16gb3200||GTX10808gb||ATX1200Corsa ir||CBTitanium7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr4Pro/ir||gladiator pro mkII||siatekpedals||X52Throttle||G15Keyboard/RazerMouse||
32"LCD||2x7" lilliputs,1x9inc
Old 06-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Approved Member

Not to burst your bubble but to burst your bubble...

5000 users... ity bity stuff man.

Give you some stats to think about.

Currently 9 Million Players on World of Warcraft at 15 bucks a month. That's right do the math.

I just did a search on Call of Duty 4 with over 20000 servers out there.

Il2 so small it doesn't show up on any relative content sights.

We are the few the proud for sure.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG27CaptStubing View Post
Not to burst your bubble but to burst your bubble...

5000 users... ity bity stuff man.

Give you some stats to think about.

Currently 9 Million Players on World of Warcraft at 15 bucks a month. That's right do the math.

I just did a search on Call of Duty 4 with over 20000 servers out there.

Il2 so small it doesn't show up on any relative content sights.

We are the few the proud for sure.

What do you mean by 5,000 users exactly. Is it 5,000 active users currently?
How many copies of Il2 have been sold? FB? AEP? PE2? 46? These are the numbers that interest me. How many of us are out there? Perhaps many of the copies sold are collecting dust, who knows.
I do know that so many people who have Il2 don't even know about the UBI website, or this one for that matter.
If they don't know about these websites, then they surely don't know that a better sim is in the works.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Approved Member

I also think you'll have to concider alot and i mean alot of copies got sold to people that never play online since IL2 dosn't "officialy" have any real internet lobby thingy.

But ye i guess that around 5000-6000 users active is what it's about now and thats really awsome after such a long time, and don't compare it to COD4 etc shit guys cod4 came out 7 months ago brand new and is also a totaly different title.( MC AND ARCADE)
Old 06-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Approved Member

JG27::
Quote:
Currently 9 Million Players on World of Warcraft at 15 bucks a month.
Yep. Happy offliners are the barrier between Oleg and "pay to play" so to speak.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Approved Member

The population of IL2 is shrinking, whether you believe it or not. Open HyperLobby, you'll find the most popular servers there are arcade ones with cockpit off and external view on. The number of total online players at HL has also decreased greatly. It was usual to see 1000 plus players flying online at the same time before 2007. But now it is a different stroy. There were also many large squadrons flying at HL years ago which I have never seen for nearly two years.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermin View Post
The population of IL2 is shrinking, whether you believe it or not. Open HyperLobby, you'll find the most popular servers there are arcade ones with cockpit off and external view on. The number of total online players at HL has also decreased greatly. It was usual to see 1000 plus players flying online at the same time before 2007. But now it is a different stroy. There were also many large squadrons flying at HL years ago which I have never seen for nearly two years.
+1
We share the same point of view...

One thing I've noticed : Fights moved from HL servers to forum's topics...
Old 06-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Approved Member

Now we know why Olegs pushing IL2/BoB into XBox, Playstation, and that funny 'hand-held excuse' for a computer ..

The wider the market the more interest and eventual conversion to the PC.
Good strategy - actually no choice..
Old 06-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Approved Member

There aren't nearly as many consistent users of IL2 online as there used to be. This is still the pinnacle of WWII flight simulation and those that realize it are the ones that continue to stick around and populate the servers. While there might be 500 servers out there, there are really only a dozen or so that have consistent pilot numbers and that's been common for the last couple years. Even though the DVD compilation release brought quite a bit of new blood, there also seem to be a number of pilots leaving for other things at about the same rate.

This sim will continue to have a strong and loyal player base that will no doubt still be flying this sim for a couple more years to come despite an engine that's long in the tooth and mildly dated graphics. They'll continue for the sheer broad spectrum of content.

The fact that there is a cross-platform game being developed is really only a good thing...yes, even for us hardcore pc bird nerds.

TB
Old 06-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Approved Member

You cannot count online figures as simplistically as:

" 5000 users for IL2 vs 9 Million Players on World of Warcraft at 15 bucks a month and Call of Duty 4 having over 20000 servers out there."

Lets put it like this, Battlefield 2/2142 have on average double the number of players Call of Duty 4 has. Counter Strike Source had even more but a lot have jumped over to COD 4.

Now 9 million players at 15 bucks a month may sound a lot but it is a game that is constantly being developed, requires an extensive backbone serverside to run. Put that against over 1.4 billion internet users worldwide and you have a problem. Then 9 million users are a drop in the ocean.
Mark my words, a realistic WW2 simulator covering, ground air and sea catering in the fps style (armed assault type) would have in excess of 30 to 40 million users easily.
That against a backdrop of 1.4 billion is still a drop in the ocean, just slightly bigger.
What flight sim companies should be doing is marketing their products together with after-market products such as trackir, joysticks etc...

Lastly, Il2 is over 10 years old and the fact that it has the largest online flight community bar none is and indication of what could happen with the right product.
Remember when Il2 came out broadband was in it's infancy in most countries.
All the other products that have been quoted have come out since the big internet boom.
Imagine a product that records stats like BF2, is ultra realistic and is great to look at...
time will tell but I believe SOW will reinvent how online flight sims are seen.