Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 11-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Smile Sony HMZ-T1 VR Headset

Review 1: http://gizmodo.com/5857709/sony-hmz+...an-amazing-toy

Review 2: http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/10/2...-viewer-review

Nvidia 3d Support: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=215785

Somebody has already resolved the lack of head tracking.. : http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/19/s...upgrade-video/

So, who will be first on the forum to get their hands on this? I recall seeing some discussions on how to activate nvidia 3d with IL2 COD (and some posts from Luthier) - where do we stand on support for that?

Its on my xmas list, but I don't expect Santa to be that kind at $800 USD (more expensive in Europe as always sadly). Still, from a technical perspective its the best headset I have seen for a while, and is is the first of the stereo 780p OLED headsets - hopefully 1080p in the next version?

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

And we can dream a bit more and mate this helmet with Kinect to actuate both stick and throttle and levers and buttons and ..... http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...113#post364113.

Engadin.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the reviews! I've got my eye on one of these, though every time I talk about it the missus pulls a face and laughs, but a man can dream! I've been waiting for people to buy them and see how they are, and they seem good, except perhaps not suited for two-hour long bombing sorties or fighter sweeps judging by what's being said about the weight of the thing.

The only major problem I see with it though is having to press buttons etc. by feel. Mostly it's fine since I can touch type, but if your eyes are totally closed off and you put your hand on the wrong button you could end up dropping bombs at 50ft instead of putting your gear down or something of the like. As was pointed out, Kinect working with this would be brilliant, but then it would require a fully animated pilot model that moves along with you in the cockpit, something which I think would be such as massive and complicated task to do (and most importantly to get right) it's unlikely anyone would bother, at least right now.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Approved Member

Personally I'm waiting for the Carl Zeiss Cinemizer OLED HMD.

They're superior to the SONY and have been presented "long" ago. However, since SONY literally works with Zeiss all the time (think optics for their cameras, phones, smartphones etc.) it's possible that there is something going on in the background here that prevents a release of the new cinemizer oled.

I believe they're superior because they are less heavy (less strain), have a better wear concept (not these nasty straps that really hurt) and the better / more flexible audio solution (no weird "drop down" headphones).
I assume they have the same screens (SONY makes them) and lenses (I assume Zeiss makes these).

I'll not get the SONY's. They aren't made for gaming. Unless you want to deal with the pain and marks on your head. I don't play for only 30 mins or so and that makes me kind of want to wait for a more comfortable model. But it's great news as it'll certainly bring the HMD devices forward again and they are better than ANYTHING out there. (tripple screens, big screens, projectors etc.)
Old 11-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Approved Member

wow, good step in the right direction. Not as expensive like these ones http://www.sensics.com/products/product-selector.php
Eheim 1250
Toyota Radiator
XP Home 32bit & Win7 64bit
Crucial SSD C300 64GB
TrackIR 3 Pro
Hotas Cougar + 18cm Extension
+Hall Sensors
Old 11-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingHubert View Post
wow, good step in the right direction. Not as expensive like these ones
http://www.sensics.com/products/product-selector.php
here is a another one:
http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/st1080-features.html

the most interesting point for me is
1. resolution and
2. field of view
Eheim 1250
Toyota Radiator
XP Home 32bit & Win7 64bit
Crucial SSD C300 64GB
TrackIR 3 Pro
Hotas Cougar + 18cm Extension
+Hall Sensors
Old 11-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Approved Member

I have the cash laying around. I will buy one when they get serious and build it with 180 degree FOV (wrap around) and a resolution double 1920*1080p. Head tracking is solved if you have track IR. Just build a damn good VR goggles under $1000 for god sake and stop pussy footing around with pathetic resolution. We should have had these 10 years ago.
Intel i7-2600K
Coursair 16GB (4x 4GB), DDR3-1600MHz
Gainward Nvidia 580GTX 3GB DDR5
850-Watt Modular Power Supply
WIN7 and COD on Gskill SSD 240GB
40" Panasonic LCD
TrackIR5 +
Thrustmaster Warthog stick, throttle & pedals
Old 11-25-2011, 07:54 AM
Approved Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc_wolf View Post
I have the cash laying around.
Would you mind telling us were your home is, I have the certainty some of us are willing to pay you a polite visit to know how you are feelling these days, share a nice tea cup with you and so on .....
Old 11-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engadin View Post
Would you mind telling us were your home is, I have the certainty some of us are willing to pay you a polite visit to know how you are feelling these days, share a nice tea cup with you and so on .....
The benefits of been ALMOST middle 30's and no kids ahahaha!!! I do like tea. Don't look under the couch pillow if I turn my back

My point was ...despite the money. Why the hell is VR technology so behind the times. I have a god damn GTX580 that can heat a room playing skyrim and clod on full graphics at 100 plus min frame rates and yet some beedy-eyed technical electronics geek can't develop a 180 FOV headset which when on your head looks like you are staring out into the open world not just a 42 to 100" flat screen at 1- 3 meters for $39,000... I got that already with a 42" screen on my desk. But the stupid LCD tv's only can do 1920x1080 GEES!!! So annoying .... At very minimum develop some bloody TV's with 7920 res. Make my gtx580 think twice at least....

Rant over..
Intel i7-2600K
Coursair 16GB (4x 4GB), DDR3-1600MHz
Gainward Nvidia 580GTX 3GB DDR5
850-Watt Modular Power Supply
WIN7 and COD on Gskill SSD 240GB
40" Panasonic LCD
TrackIR5 +
Thrustmaster Warthog stick, throttle & pedals

Last edited by hc_wolf; 11-25-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: update
Old 11-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc_wolf View Post
The benefits of been ALMOST middle 30's and no kids ahahaha!!! I do like tea. Don't look under the couch pillow if I turn my back

My point was ...despite the money. Why the hell is VR technology so behind the times. I have a god damn GTX580 that can heat a room playing skyrim and clod on full graphics at 100 plus min frame rates and yet some beedy-eyed technical electronics geek can't develop a 180 FOV headset which when on your head looks like you are staring out into the open world not just a 42 to 100" flat screen at 1- 3 meters for $39,000... I got that already with a 42" screen on my desk. But the stupid LCD tv's only can do 1920x1080 GEES!!! So annoying .... At very minimum develop some bloody TV's with 7920 res. Make my gtx580 think twice at least....

Rant over..
I was wondering about the same thing until i realized that slim display techs just recently became mainstream. The very first hurdle was to get regular lcd production up. Then came the big screen TVS. Finally with the advent with retina display cell phone screens, manufactures finally can produce VR headsets at an 'economical' level.

So yeah, the tech was there, but the cost of tooling required cost too much. Look at Apple, they finally cracked it with their retina display, but even then, the manufactures are experiencing heavy delays with a retina ipad display 10" screens.