Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Default Nvidia Problem

Hi all pilots,

after a randomly changing period of time (20 min up to 2 hours) my IL2 1946 4.08m turns to a dark screen an when back at the Vista desktop I see a message:

Display driver nvlddmkm.sys stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I googled the net a found a lot of people fighting the same problem. I tried this and that but wasn't able to solve that failure yet.

OS is Vista 32 Bit Home Premium and display driver is Geforce 181.22 WHQL for my GTX260 card.

Any hint how to solve that problem?

Your help is really appreciated.

Rango
Old 01-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

I have a similar crash error,but no limit on how and when it will happen,I can go weeks with no error and then get three times in one night,using Vista 64 here and just put it down to that as my graphics card (8800 GTS 512) dosen't crash in other game I have.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Approved Member

Default Nv...dll ??

nvlddmkm.sys
I have not experienced this particular issue. But, I have experienced similiar with error message referencing NVdsp4....DLL. or something like that

3. MY solution was a total uninstall, complete cleaning of the nvidia drivers, reboot to verify totally default video and no drivers not card recognized, then install a different set of nvidia drivers. Keep track of which driver sets you try and hopefully you will locate one that does not crash.

2. You might try just a reinstall over your existing NV drivers, you might get lucky perhaps this will solve your issue.

1. You might just have a corrupt nvlddmkm.sys file. If that is the case simply extracting and overwriting the corrupt file MIGHT fix it.

Good luck and let us know what solves this for you.

Last edited by SPUDLEY1977; 01-30-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Approved Member

I went through a similar problem at the end of last month and it took 3-4 weeks to resolve.

Here's a link to the discussion on UBIZoo Help forum (I'm being very unkind, theres actually a very positive feeling over there at the moment!)

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...2671079417/p/1

try

"i think i have found the solution to mine as well i have just done four hours online smooth as silk.
all courtessy off big bill himself .
try downloading microsoft hotfix kb 953186
strange its from the forthcoming service pack 2 but whatever it seems to have worked for me
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953186
forgot to say there are two patches install them both.
and also the site auto detects what operating system your using but give false readings if you use firefox downloads the 32 bit versions !
so make sure you use internet explorer

"

or try (this fixed me up)

"
I found the following information at a librarian's Blog! The information is way down the page by a guy called Ryan.

http://librariansmatter.com/bl...ow-to-post-nvlddmkm/

>>>>
To disable ffdshow on Vista:
1. Start Menu type in search bar “ffdshow”
2. Click the ffdshow video decoder config program
3. Click DirectShow control on the left pane
4. Check the box that says “Don’t use ffdshow in:”
5. Click edit and add the .exe file for whatever game
<<<<

ffdshow is a crappy video encoder (I think it was installed with real player, Though I could be wrong, I was trying to get a video to play a while back and tried a few things!)The solution involves telling ffdshow not to do it's stuff when you run a program.

I also did the same with windows media player and I can now play videos without the same error!

All I can say (touch wood!)is that it seams to have worked for me! And it only takes a minute to do the search and see if the programs on your system.

"
Hope it works for you too.

cheers
Old 01-31-2009, 12:08 AM
Approved Member

I also had some crashes of the Nvidia driver while playing IL2.

Here is what I found:

1) Driver is much more stable if you disable real-time anti-virus protection before launching the game.

2) In Vista's power management options, use high performance settings, instead of normal or low power consumption modes. Also make sure that the setting in the power management sub-options for hard disk drives is such that hard disk drives always receive full power.

It seems that 2) is critical to make Vista and Il2 stable on my rig.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Many thanks so far.
I will follow your hints and hope to get rid of the problem this way.

Will post the results here after finishing the tests.

Rango
Old 02-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Approved Member

Well, this is what i did (and it works like a charm).

Check "C:\Windows\System32\drivers" location for the file "nvlddmkm.sys". If it is NOT there that's why you have this problem. What you need to do is this: go to the location where Nvidia setup extracts driver files (most cases its c:\NVIDIA) and search for file nvlddmkm.sy_.

Copy this file somewhere that is easily navigated on your hard drive (i just put mine on c:\) and go start-run-cmd. This will show you command prompt window. Navigate to c:\ (root) and execute this command: extract nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys. This should create file "nvlddmkm.sys" which you then copy to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers".

That did it for me.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Approved Member

Ditto , I never had this problem with xp but with vista its all the time , it also keeps crashing my editing programs and the media player just wont play jack , gonna try some of the above solutions , glad to know its not just me
Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Approved Member

Yup , the hot fix from microsoft seems to have stoped the display drivers from crashing......anyone got a fix for the media players stuttering ...?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

System is stable since 2 days now (about 8 hours IL2 flying). I didn't try the MS hotfixes (got no answer from the support). I uninstalled the latest Nvidia drivers and bootet into the default windows driver. Then I used this build in function of Vista and let Vista search and install a suitable driver. Vista installed GeForce 178.13 and I didn't found a problem so far (knock on wood!). May be I won't get the last fps out of the game but it's stable so far and the performance is very good.