Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Approved Member

Default Landscape Colours need adjusting IMHO. I just saw pics from a BOB TV Program.

Last night I watched a two hour program on TV entitled; "The Real Battle of Britain" where-in actor Ewan MacGregor and his older brother, currently an RAF Tornado pilot, undertook to try to more fully understand circumstances that pilots went through in the BOB.

His pilot brother went through a quick lesson on the Tiger Moth, then the Harvard then flew a two seater Spitfire and lastly Ewan went for a flight of two Spits and a Hurri for a BOB memorial flight over Dover and along the cliffs. Spectacular!!

They covered in some detail the aircraft and focussed on the pilots who had little training before being thrown into battle. Two of the pilots who took part (now in their 90's) were interviewed and one of them was the original pilot of prettly well the last Hurricane still flying and it was in that flypast and part of the production. He and the the two hosts stood in the middle of the grass airfield and the Hurri did a high speed low altitude (50 ft or less) past them. It was interesting to see the original Hurri pilot watch his aircraft sweep past them and then do mild aerobatics.

OK, so I digress - the purpose of this post is to comment on the aerial views taken from the show when filming shots from the Spit cockpit or in a camera ship filming the aircraft. The fields below were patchwork - similar to the COD SIM - BUT - they were georgeous shades of deep greens, emerald greens some beigy yellows here and there - the predominance was deep and emeral greens. Britain is a WET country to say the least and even in mid summer (spring in North America ) there is enough moisture to keep things green. There was a good deal of high contrast in these pics and the cloud formations were spectacular. Reminded me of the poem "High Flight" -

High Flight
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee
No 412 squadron, RCAF
Killed 11 December 1941

I would like the devs to take another look at how beigy-yellow they have the countryside and rethink the colour pallet.

Cheers All.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Approved Member

Couldn't agree with you more.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:21 PM
machoo

Desaturate your video card colors . Problem solved.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoo View Post
The card is set to proper colour balance both for colour hue, saturation, contrast and brightness.

Its not the saturation of colour that is at issue but rather the hue. Too much gold in them hills from what I can see.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Approved Member

CloD's landscape is pretty poor-quality work, with even simple things like the colours of the trees (darker than the fields, in real life) being wrong. I suspect that their budget was so small that they couldn't afford to send someone to the UK and hire an aircraft to check it out for themselves. I did get a smile from Luthier's description of their landscape guy as a "genius", however. Incidentally, I spent an hour today flying over SW England and think they could still make some useful progress just by changing tree colours etc. But the sad truth is that this is one area where CloD lags some way behind other sims.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Approved Member

So you can see..
Forward to about 2.35, unless you want to see Ewan hugging a Spitfire.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Approved Member

excellent video thanks for sharing
Old 07-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
CloD's landscape is pretty poor-quality work, with even simple things like the colours of the trees (darker than the fields, in real life) being wrong. I suspect that their budget was so small that they couldn't afford to send someone to the UK and hire an aircraft to check it out for themselves. I did get a smile from Luthier's description of their landscape guy as a "genius", however. Incidentally, I spent an hour today flying over SW England and think they could still make some useful progress just by changing tree colours etc. But the sad truth is that this is one area where CloD lags some way behind other sims.
Interesting observation. My take on the landscape at this time is that it is more like the Russian Steppes than the UK. Too many grain fields and dry looking. Also, the airfields look clumpy with big grass tufts on the ground. Those fields were pretty well mowed and more like a football pitch than an unkempt farmfield in a dry climate.
Cheers

Last edited by Catseye; 07-03-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winny View Post
So you can see..
Forward to about 2.35, unless you want to see Ewan hugging a Spitfire.

Thanks for posting this Winny:
The devs could help themselves a lot if they could see the whole program. Especially the SOUND developer.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoo View Post
Machoo,
Check the landscape of the vid put up by Whinny. Nothing to do with vid cards but rather incorrect colour pallet for the UK landscape.