Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Approved Member

Default To TD Team: A simple plane request - Il2-type 3 Late

AS Team Daidalos is bringing us new planes - I've always missed Il-2 type 3 with full metal wings and fuselage parts. The version we have is from the year 1943 with wooden wings and fuselage parts. I think it would be easy to add all metal wings and fuselage for Il-2 type 3 that were very common from autumn 1944 onwards. I think that Il-2 deserves a bit more attention as it was one of the most important (if not the most important) aircraft in VVS inventory and the sim is named after it Anyway, thanks for any consideration.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Approved Member

I didn't know that such a plan existed. I thought the Type 3 was sort of the end of development while the IL-8 and 10 were developed with the 10 ultimately seeing production.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Approved Member

I had always thought that had completely switched from metal to wooden extremities by late '43 due to aluminum shortages...
Old 01-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Approved Member

According to many sources and recent books, actually all Il2 were simply called just that: Il2, from the early straight wing, single-seat to the late war “strelkoy” (“arrow”) with swept back wooden or metal wing. All suffixes (Il2M, Il2M3, Il2 typ 3) are apparently spurious.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Approved Member

What I'd like to see is airframe damage as a result of prolonged firing of the AT cannons on the 3M (apparently, no burst could exceed a few seconds without risking the aircrafts structure).
Old 01-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum View Post
I had always thought that had completely switched from metal to wooden extremities by late '43 due to aluminum shortages...
Even the description in the game's encyclopedia states that Il2s of type 3 got their metal wings and fuselage parts back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
I didn't know that such a plan existed. I thought the Type 3 was sort of the end of development while the IL-8 and 10 were developed with the 10 ultimately seeing production.
Yep, one such example of a full metal Il2-type 3 of late 1944 production can be even seen in Kbely air museum in Prague:

http://home.arcor.de/f111raven/011_10c.jpg