Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Approved Member

Default What Srceen Recommendations for IL2/gaming

Hi ... this may seem a pretty dim question to some of you but Ive had the same 19inch 4:3 ratio Lcd screen for 6 years. I want to get the best size / ratio to make the most of Sow when it comes out and I guess from other games in general. Im in the UK and I generally dont buy the latest and greatest but go for good value tried and trusted.

Its the ratio that I really unsure about. Will Bob look right on a wide screen format monitor ? I dont want stretch to fit nonsence .. round things gotta be round right ? ...

What do you all use / recommend ??

Cheers
Old 11-01-2010, 12:29 PM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgwanchos View Post
Hi ... this may seem a pretty dim question to some of you but Ive had the same 19inch 4:3 ratio Lcd screen for 6 years. I want to get the best size / ratio to make the most of Sow when it comes out and I guess from other games in general. Im in the UK and I generally dont buy the latest and greatest but go for good value tried and trusted.

Its the ratio that I really unsure about. Will Bob look right on a wide screen format monitor ? I dont want stretch to fit nonsence .. round things gotta be round right ? ...

What do you all use / recommend ??

Cheers
It will look good on pretty much any screen you can think of. The problem with getting a large LCD with a correspondingly large resolution is that you're going to need a heck of a machine to play SOW at your monitor's native resolution.

The only problem with wide screen monitors is the FOV distortion at the sides, but that doesn't usually happen unless you have 2 or three monitors set up side by side.

Personally get anything by HP/ASUS that's on sale. If you want to go big and beautiful, get any of the large Dell screens. They're the best (in my opinoin) but will cost you a bit more. With every bigish investment, always look for the reviews online. I find review results from forums are the most trustworthy.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Approved Member

I can second the Dell for good image quality.
I have had the 2209WA for a year or two, it's 22" and runs at 1680x1050 (it's a 16:10 aspect ratio).

They have released a follow up series with 23" monitors that also feature displayport connectors (mine only has DVI and analog).

The good thing about these Dells is that they give you IPS panel performance at lower prices. They use an e-IPS panel type which has most of the advantages of the IPS design but at a lower price.

The only problem with IPS is that the bigger ones tend to get pricier. However, for 22"-24" sizes i think the benefits of no color distortion and true 180 degree viewing angles justifies the slight price difference.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 PM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
The only problem with IPS is that the bigger ones tend to get pricier. However, for 22"-24" sizes i think the benefits of no color distortion and true 180 degree viewing angles justifies the slight price difference.
I do not even want to think about what kind of hardware you will need to run SOW on a 24" LCD's native resolution with everything maxed. Sounds like a good way to blow $3-4K.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Approved Member

I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that the expensive IPS panels were not the great for gaming because of their high response times and input lag.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Approved Member

well i warmly recommend 16:10 1920X1200.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Approved Member

Old 11-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
That's a lovely image. However it's missing 1366 x 768, which is a current laptop size, does anyone have any idea what they call that? It's also missing EGA, which was something like 640 x 350, that was a long time ago, the pixels in EGA weren't square, it was a screen the same shape as VGA, just with bigger pixels vertically, that was about 1990 that showed up for a short time. Thinking about it, CGA wasn't (always) smaller than VGA either, the pixels were just huge (and the colours very grotty).

Last edited by Igo kyu; 11-02-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Approved Member

Samsung have a 24" - 2ms - LED - narrow bezel - low power monitor.

BX 2450, I think?

Old 11-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Approved Member

I've recommended the monitor I own before: the Asus VW266H. It's fairly cheap and can display any resolution up to 1920x1200 without distortion or blurriness.

dduff