Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Approved Member

Default Why il2 is great

Basically, this thread is for propaganda, but its all true i swear!

Because you just get it right, corrections dont come in later patches because they dont need to, EXTRAS and ADDONS come later.

Unlike SOME (ahem ROF ahem) who can't even get the sky colour right, and spend the next year trying to fix it whilst trying to get you to pay more...

The level of detail is WAY ahead of its time, remember il2 (the first one, yes, that far back), i was blown away by the fact that it animated the landing gear, rolling after takeoff and the damage on landing, it was just incredible. And here we are a decade later with other games only just getting ahead.
Those little details are what make a game, and il2 is great at hitting those right on the head!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Approved Member

I couldn't agree more. I remember when first playing the demo, I had only played CFS1,CFS2 and Fighter Squadron (which I couldn't get to grips with) at this time, and then I played Il-2 and was mesmerized. I was pretending the p-39 was a a spit and the 109G a 109-E and was reenacting BoB scenarios, loving everything about the game.
It's still awesome today.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Approved Member

The very first plane I fly in Il2 was the P39.I remember that I couldn´t take off with that beast and when I finally was able to do it, stall every time I tryed to do a low speed turn.
Not even mention the high speed stall that I had not experienced before in previous flight sims.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Approved Member

IL-2 is great because 9 (NINE) years after its original release it's STILL the best and most complete game in PC's.

I really try to figure out if any other game, besides Civilization, can compete to IL-2 in the history of games.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Approved Member

Ok, I'm only here because I'm waiting for SoW. But I've decided to buy 1946. (Anyone recommend where I can get it via download?)

So.. being a noob,

What bits of software/patches/expansions do I need in order for me to be able to get online with it?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Approved Member

Here you are

http://www.direct2drive.com/3021/pro...-1946-Download
Old 10-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Approved Member

I remember my first successful flight - I didn't have a fast enough computer, but I talked a friend into installing the demo. I recall firing a 37mm from the P-39 using only the keyboard. It was a head on pass with the FW-189. To my surprise I hit and blew off an engine which fell gloriously to the ground as the FW-189 struggled along.

I remember people were so fascinated that they did things like dive the P-39 until both landing gear had been torn off and then land the plane on its nose wheel. As the plane slowed below vmin the angle of attack increased and the plane lifted up again.

It was a real innovation to have aircraft that would keep flying once you bailed out and to have ships modelled below the water line, torpedoes and Russian aircraft. It was all so new and so much higher fidelity.

Oleg would eventually release the AFM - I don't know how many people remember what a revolution that was.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winny View Post
What bits of software/patches/expansions do I need in order for me to be able to get online with it?
Hi Winny,
After you've got the 1946 installed, you need to update it with v4.08 and v4.09, downloadable from various places. I think I did mine via M4T, (mission4today). There'll probably be a link on here somewhere.
Then you'll need to get Hyperlobby from hyperfighter.sk, installed and set up to your liking.
There are loads of servers available on hyperlobby, but some of the ones using unmodded v4.09 are, well, not very realistic, with no stalls n spins, and unlimited ammo and fuel etc.
UKdedicated1 is a good place to start.
Someone else would be better telling you about other 'add-ons' available, as we're not supposed to talk about them here.
See you there, hopefully.

My first experience of IL2 was the mig3-U high level one on one single mission against the recce FW-189.
I must have flown that 100's of times, and still do now and again for nostalgia's sake.
I first flew it on a win98 computer and was hooked. That was in 2001. Still hooked.
Still fly old Campaigns. Love the Sturmovik Leningrad campaign.
SoW will have a hell of a lot to live up to.

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 10-05-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Approved Member

Mt first experience with IL-2 (1946) was just a few months ago. I had been into other types of games and X-Plane, but I always wanted to get back to my roots in flight combat. I had avoided IL-2 early on because the theaters of war did not interest me greatly and I never followed its' development.

Any new game, if it is good, comes with a learning curve, some frustration, and some absolute wonder.

For me, all of those things were encompassed with flying an F4-U off of a carrier that first day . Each time, I would drop into the water with the left wing stalling right before impact. So I had to go online and search for some tips on taking off with that plane. Eventually, I got it and it was a great feeling of accomplishment.

Then came landing the Corsair on a carrier....I never knew plane could bounce that high lol. More research followed. Then I tried knocking down some Zekes and discovered the wonderful stall modeling . That first week was spent tweaking my control settings and learning how to turn each plane without stalling and spinning.

I could argue that first impressions of games are the most important thing. I could also argue that, if the game is good, the first few weeks are the most fun because that is when you are getting to know the basics of the game. Discovery is a wonderful thing.

Of course, if the game is VERY good, playability lasts beyond those first few weeks and you keep discovering new things about the game and refining your techniques.

IL-2 scores high on the initial interest AND with its' onging ability to keep your interest.

Splitter
Old 10-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
Hi Winny,
After you've got the 1946 installed, you need to update it with v4.08 and v4.09, downloadable from various places. I think I did mine via M4T, (mission4today). There'll probably be a link on here somewhere.
Then you'll need to get Hyperlobby from hyperfighter.sk, installed and set up to your liking.
There are loads of servers available on hyperlobby, but some of the ones using unmodded v4.09 are, well, not very realistic, with no stalls n spins, and unlimited ammo and fuel etc.
UKdedicated1 is a good place to start.
Someone else would be better telling you about other 'add-ons' available, as we're not supposed to talk about them here.
See you there, hopefully.
I'm downloading it now. thanks