Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:05 AM
Registered Member

Exclamation Just want to play online...

Hey guys,

i bought this game (for xbox360) 2 days ago and quickly played trough the campaign, unlocked many planes and all difficult levels -and now i just want to compete in some online dogfights...

But every time i searched for an open game or created a game session by myself, there was absolutly nothing...not even a glimpse of somebody playing. (i tried all difficult settings...) And sometimes the game even says something like "the servers are down".

Could it really be that this entertaining game has a more than dead online community?

Or maybe i am doing something completly wrong and you could give me a useful advice how to rock those online skies?

btw:
my xbox live gamertag is : karamellbonbon -> i am really desperate for some action (arcade, realistic or sim )
Old 12-05-2009, 05:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamellbonbon View Post
Could it really be that this entertaining game has a more than dead online community?
Yes. This is a great game but it was released with a few flaws and 505 has apparently played a few too many rounds of grab-a** before addressing the patch. Us Xbox owners are 2nd class here as the PS3 patch was just recently released (after a very, very long wait) and just now 505 will handle the Xbox patch. Hopefully the Xbox patch will show in the next few weeks/months. Read around here, there is some good info mixed with a lot of complaints. Search for Anton's posts.

It appears most of the good folks here prefer Sim mode, I'm sure they will chime in. There still appears to be occasional games where a lot of players turn out. I typically play Realistic, Sim just hurts my eyes too much. I have not played in a while mostly because everyone that I had played with moved on when MW2 came out and along with the lack of a patch. I also suck at this game, I rarely gets kills yet I often put many planes into the ground but I don't get credit for that as of now

Once the patch comes I will be back at it as I'm sure many others will be. This is easily the best game I own for the Xbox 360.

Edit: When the game says the likes of "No server available" it means that no one is playing or no games are open to join. Just keep trying for a while and maybe you will jump into a group after their game ends and before the next begins. You can't join games in progress or even know they are there. Another flaw. Once you have some friends or former players on the game you can see if they are playing and know if a game is in progress or not.

Last edited by Slomo; 12-05-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:16 AM
Approved Member

The lesson here is that you should sell your console (both 360 and PS3) if you play mostly flight sims.

The clear business model for console games is that once the game is sold and the publishers have your money, they have little care to support it. They care more about getting you to spend another 60 bucks on yearly sequels than supporting already released games.

Play flight sims on PC that are well supported. Flight sims are for people with the patience to overcome the inherent steep learning curve. Given that, I don't think a community for hardcore flight sims can be built on console platforms where average attention spans are measures in seconds and the business model revolves around pumping out sequels.

It was nice while it lasted to see BOP on consoles, but I doubt a real large flight sim community will ever be found anywhere outside of PC flight sims going foward.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Like Slomo, I will come back when the patch comes. 3 guys from my friend list are waiting too.

Obviously, we have to consider that xbox 360 players are 2nd class players...

What a disapointment
Old 12-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzychickens View Post
The lesson here is that you should sell your console (both 360 and PS3) if you play mostly flight sims.

The clear business model for console games is that once the game is sold and the publishers have your money, they have little care to support it. They care more about getting you to spend another 60 bucks on yearly sequels than supporting already released games.

Play flight sims on PC that are well supported. Flight sims are for people with the patience to overcome the inherent steep learning curve. Given that, I don't think a community for hardcore flight sims can be built on console platforms where average attention spans are measures in seconds and the business model revolves around pumping out sequels.

It was nice while it lasted to see BOP on consoles, but I doubt a real large flight sim community will ever be found anywhere outside of PC flight sims going foward.
I think console sims can do just fine if they are not fumbled as badly as BoP (sorry).

The thing that is killing the game is the MP lobby system. I would expect that from a PS2/XBOX game.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Approved Member

Sim games are on every night but you will find that the search facility does not always find them. Soon as you are in a session then take the opportunity to send friend requests and when you sign on you will see who is playing. If the option is available then join our party and we will tell you when the next session is about to start.

You can add my Gamertag (EvangelusE) as I am on every night except Sunday to Tuesday and RoboticPope is on most nights too along with a regular bunch of flyers. I recently suggested that the regulars now host more Ranked Matches as many of the names/gamertags that appear on the leaderboard no longer play the game. Hopefully, the leaderboards will begin to reflect the BOP community that still play the game and their preferred difficulty level. So search Ranked Matches too! I hope Arcade and Realistic fans will do the samel. Might also encourage some of the past players to sign on and defend their positions on the Leader board, if not they will be history which is where they belong!

Last edited by SEE; 12-05-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamellbonbon View Post
Hey guys,

i bought this game (for xbox360) 2 days ago and quickly played trough the campaign, unlocked many planes and all difficult levels -and now i just want to compete in some online dogfights...

But every time i searched for an open game or created a game session by myself, there was absolutly nothing...not even a glimpse of somebody playing. (i tried all difficult settings...) And sometimes the game even says something like "the servers are down".

Or maybe i am doing something completly wrong and you could give me a useful advice how to rock those online skies?

btw:
my xbox live gamertag is : karamellbonbon -> i am really desperate for some action (arcade, realistic or sim )
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your frustration with MP. The MP side of the game could have been better if you were able to jump into a match that was already underway. If there is not a lot of people playing on Xbox and they are in a 20 minute session you will have to wait until there session is over and they start a new session before you find their lobby.

Look around on the forum and find some people to add to your friends list. This is the best way to find matches, then when people play add them.

Have a look at this sticky thread
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=9238
Old 12-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Approved Member

Guys, guys, guys, guys.... You get a new potential pilot to your dwindling community looking to find games, and instead of posting positively about how to go about getting into the online action, you post doom and gloom about the game's problems...? It took 5 or 6 posts for the OP to get the sort of answer he needed from SEE and trk (+1 there fellas).

As these guys said, the problem is the lobby system - games can last a while and you can't see them to join if they are underway. What you need to do, unfortunately, is add people who are still active on the game and join them, or get an invite from them.

I would have hoped more active XBox guys would have just posted their gamertags for you to add and get in on the action. Add SEE (trk and myself are on PS3) then try hard to get into a game with him. And when you do, add everyone in the game. This effect will snowball if you keep adding guys you find in games.

The game is great fun online, although you might find getting kills frustrating at first. Stick with it though - there is definitely a lot of fun to be had. Good luck
Old 12-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Sandylowlead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaboa View Post
Like Slomo, I will come back when the patch comes. 3 guys from my friend list are waiting too.

What a disapointment
ALL console players are 2nd class players lol.....
Old 12-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaboa View Post

What a disapointment
I don't beleive there is any favouritism for PS3 over Xbox360. Microsoft got the DLC first (and much cheaper for about a week) , Sony get the Title update first. Its buisiness. This forum has become more PS3 dominated as the game has aged but this doesn't mean that there are much more players playing than on xbox. I put it down to the fact the you can be using this forum on a PS3 but not on a 360. So most of the people SEE and myself play against are not regular visiters of this site.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope