Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:44 AM
Approved Member

Default The EXPLOSIONS in to The Battle Of Britain - Storm Of War.....

Well Gentlemen,
Oleg and team,
It seems that every thing in Battle Of Britain - Storm Of War will be exceeding all expectations of the virtual pilot! But there is something that is making this simulator a combat simulator - THE EXPLOSIONS!!!

The explosions have simple logic - all physical objects fly away from one point in the middle of a imaginable sphere in equally retardant manner, and their trajectory is curved by the Earth gravity. Also air wave blast effect affects all objects around.

Will we see such magnificent EXPLOSIONS with all debris and earth peaces flying in to the air hundreds of meters in to the sky, as we can see them in to the old WWI and WWII documentary films?

If real physics of the explosion is modeled the Battle of Britain will be the not only the Ultimate flight simulator, but also the Ultimate War simulator!

Here is what I see as basic points for developing realistic explosions:
1. Explosions in to the air;
2. Explosions on to the surface of water;
3. Explosions under the water;
4. Explosions on to the surface of the earth;
5. Explosions under the surface of the earth.

Oleg, just imagine 1000 kg bomb exploding 6 meters below the ground and hundreds of stones flying in to the sky, and slowly falling down. What a PLEASURE!

ALL THAT I MEANT IN MY POST, IS HERE / THANKS TO Tone71!!! /
Enjoy the real Battle Of Britain EXPLOSION in seconds: 0:53 on this YouTube video:

OLEG'S Answer to this topic:

Oleg Maddox

"We again calculate real pices flying in different sides.
But with more complex DM it is now more accurate."

Thanks Oleg!

~S!

<------BG-09------<<<

Last edited by BG-09; 07-03-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Approved Member

those are final effects, their the last things to be put into the game, and the likelyhood is we won't see those kindsa things till the thing is finished beta and gone gold. so far all oleg has shown us are models, with only the intention of showing us models, specifically stating that everything else is just because thats the only way to show the models, and that everything else has nothing to do with the final version of sow... in other words... he makes screenshots to show one specific detail most of the time, therefor the only way ur gonna see explosions and stuff is if oleg specifically wants to show you the explosions, and those explosions will be in the final game.

Last edited by AKA_Tenn; 06-25-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:39 AM
BigPickle

BG-09, you start your post saying as though stuff to do with explosions is going to happen and how much detail it will have etc, then you ask if it is going to happen.

Have I missed an annoucement about the explosion physics? or are you asking for these details, cos it sounds like its way beyond what is currently possible for the average pc.

A stick of 6 500lb bombs all exploding with the extended physics particals you are talking about would bring most average pc's to their knees surely?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Approved Member

Do they actually have bombs exploding 6m below the ground.. For deep targets (the earthquake 20Klbs) that's OK, but bombs preferably should explode on or a few metres above the surface for maximum effect (as with modern day missiles..ect)
Old 06-27-2010, 04:02 AM
Approved Member

They definately had contact and delayed action fuses for the bombs. Getting a bomb to detonate above ground was a bit iffy, I've seen pictures of bombs with contact fuses extending a yard or so out the front of the bomb. (Daisy cutters???)

There is a WWII war time documentry film called "Mission for today", in it they talk about bombing factories, they explain through use of drawings that with contact fuses the bombs detonate on the roof of the factories causing minimal damage to plant and machinery. By using delayed action fuses the bombs detonate at the ground level for maximum damage.

Cheers!
Old 06-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Approved Member

Hi all. Been a lurker here for a few years now, waiting patiently for the release of BoB:SoW. Have read many posts with interest but haven't felt much need to reply until now.

I thought this might be of interest to some; here in the UK a TV series was recently aired called Blitz Street, where the effect of various WWII bombs was measured on a mock 1940's street. I have included a link to a YouTube vid that summarises the effect of 3 bombs but I urge anyone interested in the subject to look for the full episodes.

Overview.

Summary of SC-50, SC-500 and SC-1000

Tone.

Last edited by Tone71; 06-27-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added Overview video link
Old 06-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone71 View Post
Hi all. Been a lurker here for a few years now, waiting patiently for the release of BoB:SoW. Have read many posts with interest but haven't felt much need to reply until now.

I thought this might be of interest to some; here in the UK a TV series was recently aired called Blitz Street, where the effect of various WWII bombs was measured on a mock 1940's street. I have included a link to a YouTube vid that summarises the effect of 3 bombs but I urge anyone interested in the subject to look for the full episodes.
Huh very interesting. This makes me feel less frustrated about killing tanks. I used to be annoyed that I could land a 1000 kg bomb within several meters of a tank and not even scare it. I would have thought that even if the tank itself survived, the blast wave ought to kill the crew. However, if people in a little dirt and steel shelter would have suffered only ear damage 22 m from such a blast I should think tank crews would only be stunned. I would assume they all wore ear protection anyway to protect against their own main gun.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:42 PM
BigPickle

sadly its findings are totally false, all detonations are done without fragmentation and just blast from C4. Frag makes all the difference in an explosion, the outcome from 500lb bomb and the equivalent in C4 form are huge.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Approved Member

Frag will not penetrate the tank. The blast however could cause parts of the armor plates on the inside of the tank to disintegrate and cause shrapnels inside the tank - therefore killing crew.
HESH ammo works like that.
Keep in mind all AT weapons are only anti crew weapons, none is intended to wreck the tank itself(pretty impossible).
Old 06-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
Keep in mind all AT weapons are only anti crew weapons, none is intended to wreck the tank itself(pretty impossible).
That depends upon what you think the tank is.

The motor, electronics, ammo, smaller guns, turret bearings, tracks, wheels are all pretty destructible in certain circumstances, and if the thing "brews up", the chances of any of those except the wheels and tracks and maybe the engine surviving is minimal.

Quote:
The blast however could cause parts of the armor plates on the inside of the tank to disintegrate and cause shrapnels inside the tank - therefore killing crew.
HESH ammo works like that.
Hesh relies on high explosive in direct contact with the outside of the tank. A near miss doesn't have that contact, and is unlikely to break chunks off the inside of the armour. Armour plate is tough and thick. Blast from a near miss is more likely to set off the ammo inside the tank, and that's not really likely either. Injury to the crew through the tank being thrown about is more likely, but even that's not very likely.

Last edited by Igo kyu; 06-27-2010 at 11:28 PM.