Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Approved Member

Default Pilot Characters

Would anyone entertain the idea of having pilot characters? Like in some new shooter games where you gain points which you can spend on character atributes...

in a flying game, maybe you could upgrade your pilots eye sight, or boost his G tolerance, or maybe he could be mechanically skilled and get a little extra horse power out of the engine...

throw in your ideas or shoot it down. fights on
Old 06-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Approved Member

The only way it would work would be if your points were taken off your apponents. Lets take reaction time.

For example My natural reaction is a 10th of a second and yours is a 15th of a second. But i've gathered rubber and built enough research facilities to create a 'G' suit, which give me extra extra reaction (during high 'G' manuvers) of a 60th of a second, so this is subtracted from all other players reaction times so now my reaction time is still a 10th of a second , but yours is a 15th of a second plus a delay 60th of a second which is 24 hundreth of a second so I whip your Butt!

Also we could code in the following snippet.
line 2347524: if (UserName == 'Skoshi Tiger') { Invincibility = TRUE; Status ='Legend" };

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 06-24-2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: wrong equals
Old 06-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Approved Member

offline maybe....online i think we should all have a level playing field
Old 06-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Approved Member

The other way to look at it is your pilot starts off almost completely useless, and only becomes fun to fly after you have been flying for a long while. Which means less sales. They had something similar in CFS3, and I didn't find it enjoyable.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Approved Member

lmao
Old 06-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Approved Member

Not for the player, but with AI being able to fly with you on dogfight-servers, it would be great fly online with characters you trained and flew with offline.

Basically like the old M1-Platoon-game or Janes Apache Longbow. You could make up your own crews (at least the names) and they got better the more targets you let them kill and the more missions you brought them back from.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Approved Member

Not for the player, but with AI being able to fly with you on dogfight-servers, it would be great fly online with characters you trained and flew with offline.

Basically like the old M1-Platoon-game or Janes Apache Longbow. You could make up your own crews (at least the names) and they got better the more targets you let them kill and the more missions you brought them back from.

For advanced squad-management, you could also send them to trainings, but have to live with their absence for several weeks. Or send them for R&R if their fatigue is too high or their morale is low due to lost comrades. But that is primarily for the offline-part, again.

Unless there is an online campaign of course....
Old 06-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Approved Member

Didn't MS CFS had this feature?

Well, unless Oleg lied to us on the previous interview, now it's hard to suggest many improvements, considering that they are about 80% ready, but maybe they'll use such ideas in the updates and add-ons of the game.

But about the idea itself, I find it interesting, but I'd change it in someways. Only the point system, as shown in CFS, wouldn't be very realistic. My idea would probably take too much work, and I don't even know if it's possible.

It would work this way: in offline AND online gaming, they could create an analysys of your flying style, and based on that your pilot would get more experient. For example, if you are a turn fight maniac, after a while your pilot will grow more tolerance to G-force, causing less black-outs during tight turns, and so on...

But, well, let's see what the developing team will do on the initial Storm of War volume, and then let's ask 'em for more.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Approved Member

That idea is used in CFS3. But I don't really love it.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:06 AM
Approved Member

Unfortunately no matter how good the programmers, they can't actually make you better than you actually are. The only way they could do it is by, as lucas suggests, placing an arbiary value on things like G tollerance, and then arbitarily increasing or decreasing these values.

How would people like this for an idea.
New pilots would find it hard to hit anything with their guns, so they would have very small 'hit bubbles' to simulate this lack of skill. As a pilot gains 'Experience' and 'Skill' it naurally becomes easier for them to hit their target, so the 'hit bubbles' become bigger simulating this increase in skills. not only that, but as your skills become better, your 'Aim' is improved and the damage is shifted towards the more vunerable parts of the aircraft, thus making it easier to destroy the target.

I, for one, would think this very arcadish and against the idea of a Simulation. I think that you should be supplied an environment and any feeling of accomplishment comes from being able to use that system to the best of YOUR abilities and move along the slow and gradual path of training and self improvement.

Yes it would be good for AI pilots to have more depth and be able to train them up, But Human pilots in my opinion should have to cope with what god has given them.