Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

Default Is this normal or is the game jerking me around?

Hi,

I am currently trying to play through the russian campaign and have now made it to "behind enemy lines".

So far all the defensive missions have been PURE HELL.
Numbers have been 8-10 germans killed for every russian lost.
Is this normal?

I am playing on normal difficulty and it seems ABSURD that the game expects you to beat an opponent that is 1000% stronger than you..
I mean, I am aware that it was bad, but this?
Come ON!
Even the Wehrmacht didn't have infinite respawn!

I just feel a little bit like my perseverance is NOT being rewarded, since all that happens is that the next wave comes and then if I win, all my men and units are gone and I have to do something similiar in another map, once more against insane odds.

I dare almost not say it, but it kind of makes me wonder "Where's the point"..

Would be fine if this were an anti-war game(and intended to make you hate playing war), but best I understand it it's a war simulation / RTS, not a put-you-off playing experiment?

Take Sevastopol.

Never lost the trenches, never retreated. And for what?
Bad videos nobody wants to see and losing all my men. Not that there is anything like unit experience levels to begin with even though weapon accuracy and reload times would just be MADE for this type of thing, no, stuff just goes away..and that's it.
No consequence(the campaign isn't even sensibly interconnected, you only "unlock" the map you are on, but have no real impact on other missions so far), no "real" reward..

IMHO whole buckets of opportunity were just thrown away..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sevastopol.jpg (386.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by StrongVodka; 05-12-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Approved Member

Ive played the game on Easy and it isnt that easy even then. So playing on Normal I can only guess its a bitch. Yes this game is supposed to be a bit on the retarded side. You just gotta hold out, I thought the same thing about most the missions....just mass suicide but its all fun haha. Try the last German mission "Borgs Last Fight"....that is a mass suicide map...it will drive you loopy. So yeah, the game isnt jerking you around, its really like that. Fun but kinda hard
Old 05-13-2010, 02:33 AM
Approved Member

some game are made for you and some game are not.

and this game is made for player like me. is vary hard but if you wanted easy don't play this game.

they is so many game out their that is easy and this one is not one of them.

this game is made for people who love the commandos series and you think this one is hard you don't know hard if you never play (Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines) now that is hard.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:13 AM
Approved Member

This game isnt to hard, its a fun kinda hard. I play it w/ Fog of War off and w/ modded in units so its quite a bit easier but still, even then my modded in tanks die.....those pesky bastages and thier AT grenades or a random cannon shell ruins my day haha. I quite like this game, sooo many things that it includes that ive always wanted to see in an RTS, the inventory, using tanks for cover and ammo limits are just a few =D

Dont worry StrongVodka, you'll figure it out, I got my ass kicked over and over right on Dubovka when I first played on easy w/ Fog of War on haha. After sometime playing this game you'll figure out the quite clunky interface which is half the battle. Then you'll be quicker to react and guys wont die so much. Direct Control mode is your best friend as well.

Last edited by KnightFandragon; 05-13-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Approved Member

the only thing I would have liked to see, more attack missions. It seems like many times you have to defend your self (at least in the russian champaign).

And the last mission! Hoping to get my hands on ISU152, IS2 and similar vehicles ... urgh 1 singke T34-85 and IS1
Old 05-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Approved Member

Exactly, I like attack missions, Defense is boring. Most the time I just sit there looking at the details on my tank as Im winning.

As for wanting to use the other vehicles, I guess thats where knowing how to mod the missions comes in handy. You go into the editor, slap a SU152 on the board and kapow, you got urself 40 tons of 152mm death =D I did play w/ the SU152...it was aight, got detracked alot haha
Old 05-14-2010, 03:54 AM
Approved Member

I agree with KnightFandragon, it's a fun kind of hard. I'll get my butt kicked and just say "You SOBs", then load that level up again and try something different. There is so much cool stuff in these games. These games will always be my favorites.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
Dont worry StrongVodka, you'll figure it out
I put up a screenshot of beating that mission with 11 enemy soldiers killed for every single one of mine and 39 vehicles taken out while not losing the front most line.
I don't think I'm unable to "figure it out", I think this game is near cruel and unusual punishment.

I didn't mean to say I hate the game, it's just that it goes from addictively fun to at some point being really, really annoying. A single lucky shot by 2 of the enemy tanks can take out the only ones you have, while the leftover empty tanks will sit so far out on the map, that you cannot get there and recover it without losing everyone you send in the process.

And supplying the enemy with guns that shoot 20-30% further than you and snipers while you have jack all is not exactly jolly good fun, either.

I am aware that some folks like the finnish white sniper took out hundreds of men on his own, but in "normal" battles I would expect a bit more balance.
Expecting a jack-and-jill army to take out 10 times their own number is different. It's like playing "300" as WW II game..

I don't mind hard games, I just think there is a point where difficult turns into abusive.
If the computer AI gets faster respawns of stronger units that shoot further with infinite supply, then that's not a higher difficulty, that's simply the classic "cheating AI" workaround of giving your enemy a godmode like advantage(again, not even the Wehrmacht had infinite tanks and soldiers) and nothing more.
Difficult would be a superior force, that is as equally limited in it's resupply as you are.
Not time based infinite supplies.

As for commandos, completely found it boring.

This is a really great attempt at a good RTS wargame. I just feel there were some missed opportunities by not including a bit more RPG if you already have an inventory and access to all sorts of things on the one hand, and a fun-turned-sour element due to AI cheating instead of just being tricky on the other.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Approved Member

PLay it on easy, my dad read somewhere and people were rating the dificulty levels of this game. THe ratings were: Easy = Hard, Normal = Brutal, Hard =Impossible. Ive not played on anything but easy but ive looked at the maps in the editor where all units from all difficulties are shown and i can tell you that on Hard this game will be impossible. The bonus mission "Airfield" There is an Elefant sitting there....yeah right...your supposed to do what to that? Then there is the "Crossroads" There is a JagdTiger.....THAT is a hahaha, yeah right, go hide in a hole type of deal where you get 1 T34 tank and you even think of taking it on it will 1 shot u and blow your guys right off the map. Then if you havent played it "Borgs Last Fight"...on Hard there is a Centurion Tank the british get. That mission, StrongVodka will drive you absolutely nuts....its your description of the defense missions to a tee. You play the mission only to have to be forced to lose to win....I hate that mission. All in all, id just suggest playing the game on easy setting, maybe turn off Fog of War, I know i play w/ that off. Atleast singleplayer, MP its different. Easy is a bit less brutal, not much but a little.

StrongVodka, maybe figure out how to edit in units into the map on the editor and place in a tank or 2...it makes life ooohhhh sooo much easier. Lolz, my score on Sevastopol "Last Stand" my ending enemies killed are well in excess of 1200 w/ around 100 some tanks killed and I get like maybe 10 soldiers killed....I play w/ edited in tanks and just sit in my hole so yeah.

Last edited by KnightFandragon; 05-15-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongVodka View Post
I put up a screenshot of beating that mission with 11 enemy soldiers killed for every single one of mine and 39 vehicles taken out while not losing the front most line.
I don't think I'm unable to "figure it out", I think this game is near cruel and unusual punishment.
Thing is that you are supposed to loose a frontline in some missions. Letz take Moscow for example. Your job is not to hold the Germans back but to get enough time to prepare defences. And at some point if you loost to much men you get the order to retreat and later can do a counter attack.

Or the train loading for I managed once to hold the whole area and loosing no point on normal. It wasnt easy. But it can be done. Though Its not required to win the mission.

As said I think many times this things were done on purpose to give you a feeling of preasure. And when I played the Soviet missions the first time they did a good job with it. By the way the game can be made a lot easier by disabling the fog of war in singleplayer. It makes it much easier. The first time I played with fog and it was insane hard cause now youre playing fair with the enemy I am glad the game has so many options regarding difficulties and settings here.

What I dont like are the rest of the missions with the Alies and Germans. Its like they didnt spend so much time with them like with the Soviet missions which is sad.

I really hoped for missions where you could use some good stuff as well. pershings, m36. Ardenes missions for example or even heavy tanks with the Axis! I also missed a lot of battlefields, Kursk, Stalingrad, Ruhrpocket ~ could fight some Jagdtigers there!, Leningrad and other fronts.