Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Approved Member

Default FMB and AI thoughts

Just thought of 2 unrelated things which I'd like to see implemented in SoW at some point ...

1. From all the pilot memoires I have read, one thing you hear time and again is how one minute the sky can be full of aircraft swarming like gnats and, the next minute, totally empty. Dog fights often ended this way after only 30 seconds or so with the author wondering where everyone went. In IL2, once a dog fight starts, it can go on for a long time and often, a wounded aircraft will be chased by a dogged enemy all the way back to home base. I know this is a game and so perhaps the truth needs to be distorted a little for the sake of gameplay, but it would be nice if somehow AI could be programmed to disengage much earlier and not always chase every enemy within sight.

2. In FMB, it occurs to me much time is spent placing aircraft tracks, testing, re-placing, re-testing etc. until timings are right for the engagements you are trying to create. A simple solution might be to add an 'arrival time' field in waypoints. Provided you don't ask anything impossible, you simply set a time and the AI adjusts speed accordingly to meet the arrival time.

Would be interested, as always, to hear the community's thoughts.

PPanPan

Last edited by PeterPanPan; 11-25-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Approved Member

It's possible that point 1 will be addressed with the full scale maps and the overall improvement in 'environmental realism' in SOW.

Agree completely with point 2. Trying to coordinate everything in FMB can be a real pain.
I wouldn't want something like this to delay release though!
Old 11-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
I wouldn't want something like this to delay release though!
I totally agree! Would be happy for this to be released as an update.