Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Approved Member

Question Mosquito in 4.12.2 - overheating engine right after take off...

Hello

I just upgraded my IL2 install to 4.12.2.

And I've gone to fly my current favourite plane, 2nd only to the F4U in the 1944 Okinawa campaign, the Mosquito FB VI 1943.

However I am finding that no matter which map I'm on after take off, and after I exceed 120mph, I always overheat the engines and then they eventually fail on me - within a matter of minutes. Nothing I've tried so far seems to stop it happening.

I have read the manual for 4.12.2 and the notes on engine overheating but I still don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Here's what I do to take off -

I start the mission on chocks (I put them in if they're not already there), I set elevator trim so it pulls my nose up, I throttle up to about 20%, leave it for a second, throttle up some more until I get to 110%, I let the chocks out and roll down the runway. Once I'm airborne, gear up and in a reasonable level/stable flight I throttle back to 75% or less.

I have tried throttling up gradually whilst rolling down the runway but I still get the same issue once in the air. I have tried throttling back when airborne to as low as 50% throttle. I've tried lowering my prop pitch to 75% or less once I've gotten airborne. I've tried opening the radiator (by pressing R) once I'm in the air. I've tried all 3 at once. Nothing seems to help, and in fact throttling back and/or reducing prop pitch once I'm airborne causes me to crash the plane.

At the moment the only way I can fly the Mosquito in 4.12.2 (I don't know about other planes, I've not actually tried yet) is to turn off Engine Overheat in the difficulty menus.

Please can someone offer some standardised settings/procedures I can use for a good stable flight with the Mosquito (and/or just in case point me in the direction of similar settings for other planes)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Raven Morpheus; 06-28-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:55 AM
Approved Member

Just gave it a try. Normandy map, QMB Scramble... full power, rads open, didn't overheat for several minutes.

Do you have some MOD pack installed or something like that?
Old 06-29-2014, 01:53 AM
Approved Member

I have been running mods but I've also tried it with a clean stock 4.12.2 install and I'm still getting the same problem. It also happens with the Corsair on the Midway map - I take off, immediately start turning left and throttling back, and by the time I've come back round to line myself up with the runway again, at the tip of the 2nd island on that map, the engine is overheating.

I'd really appreciate some standard procedures to follow to alleviate the problem - you guys who can fly fine must be doing something all the time as a routine procedure so that you don't overheat the engines?

As it is 4.12.2 is unplayable for me unless I turn off engine overheating. I thought I was making progress the other day with my 4.10 install, having finally managed to land the Mosquito!

Last edited by Raven Morpheus; 06-29-2014 at 03:19 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Approved Member

Might be a simple overlook, but are you just taking off after engine start or letting your engine(s) warm up before take-off?
As I understand it, engines must be warmed up somewhat realistically now.
Going to full power on these engines when they are cold would do damage.
In RL it takes a few minutes.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:11 PM
Approved Member

Could you post a track file of what you're doing. Share it via Google Drive, OneDrive, whatever... Let's see this in action. I had to really ram the Mosquito's engines on WEP to get it to overheat anywhere close to as quickly as you're talking about.

The only thing I haven't done is try it on the Midway map. You're flying the Mosquito on the Midway map? Each map has its own ambient temperature gradient and Midway is likely to be hotter than say Normandy or Smolensk maps.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJG View Post
Might be a simple overlook, but are you just taking off after engine start or letting your engine(s) warm up before take-off?
As I understand it, engines must be warmed up somewhat realistically now.
Going to full power on these engines when they are cold would do damage.
In RL it takes a few minutes.
Could be. I don't sit for long on the runway. From mission start I'm only on the ground for about a minute at the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
Could you post a track file of what you're doing. Share it via Google Drive, OneDrive, whatever... Let's see this in action. I had to really ram the Mosquito's engines on WEP to get it to overheat anywhere close to as quickly as you're talking about.

The only thing I haven't done is try it on the Midway map. You're flying the Mosquito on the Midway map? Each map has its own ambient temperature gradient and Midway is likely to be hotter than say Normandy or Smolensk maps.
I've flown the Mosquito on Normandy as well. Same/similar result. I do know about the ambient temperatures differing on each map but the Corsair gives similar quick overheating on Midway, and you'd think it'd be able to cope.

I will try to make a track though.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Approved Member

I still fly the Corsair all the time... it does run hot but not anything like what you're talking about. My issues are usually after prolonged time at 100% and 100% RPM/Prop Pitch. Also low speed and nose high make the heat go up even more. But if I back off to 90% pitch on a Corsair and run it at 80% cruise and 80-100 combat on need (with brief times at 110% WEP) it's no issues. But it sounds like you can't even get off the ground properly without an overheat.

I honestly think its something wrong with your install. If there is a mod pack mixed up in here then maybe that's it. Still might be valuable to see.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Approved Member

Did you select all engines? This needs to be done to allow both prop pitch and rads to work on both engines simultaneously
<a href=http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2954&dateline=1314366190 target=_blank>http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2954&dateline=1314366  190 Salute Jim (Blairgowrie) http://dangerdogz.com
Old 06-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
I still fly the Corsair all the time... it does run hot but not anything like what you're talking about. My issues are usually after prolonged time at 100% and 100% RPM/Prop Pitch. Also low speed and nose high make the heat go up even more. But if I back off to 90% pitch on a Corsair and run it at 80% cruise and 80-100 combat on need (with brief times at 110% WEP) it's no issues. But it sounds like you can't even get off the ground properly without an overheat.

I honestly think its something wrong with your install. If there is a mod pack mixed up in here then maybe that's it. Still might be valuable to see.
OK well that's the sort of info/advice I'm after.

Basically what I need is a crib sheet set out something like this -

Plane name: F4U-1D 1944
Cruise settings -
Throttle: 80%
Prop Pitch: 90%
Mix: ?
Radiator position: ?

That way I can use the same settings as someone who can fly without problems and see what happens.

Shortly I'll make tracks with the Mosquito on Normandy, and the Corsair on Midway and see what happens with a clean install. As I've said though clean or modded I seem to get the same results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_crash View Post
Did you select all engines? This needs to be done to allow both prop pitch and rads to work on both engines simultaneously
Yes.

Last edited by Raven Morpheus; 06-29-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Approved Member

OK I may have been exaggerating the time to overheat, it feels like a minute but it's more like 3 minutes with the Corsair.

And here's a track with the Corsair at Midway - http://www.mediafire.com/download/rd...at_Midway.ntrk

That was done with a completely clean unmodded stock 4.12.2 install.

At about 3 minutes when I'm making the left turn to line up on the runway is when the engine starts to overheat. I need to work on my landings again though, I was coming in/down way too hot. Lol.

Here's a track with the Mosquito but it's from my modded install with SAS Modact 5.3, I tried it in the stock clean unmodded install just now but couldn't replicate what I saw last night. Both times I tried it last night, on BOTH installs modded or unmodded I was getting a result as per this track. Just before the track stops is where the engines begin to overheat. If I had tried to turn back and land the engines would have failed on me.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pj..._Normandy.ntrk

The mods I'm using in that install are SAS Modact 5.3 and TFM-412. Neither of those to my knowledge affect engine overheating or the Mosquito FM or anything else that could cause accelerated overheating.

Last edited by Raven Morpheus; 06-29-2014 at 06:55 PM.