Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Approved Member

Default LOD change

I have Clod settings figured out so that I get a good framerate over land. However, I had to reduce my resolution to 1600x900. The only problem I have is the level of detail on other aircraft at certain ranges. At long range, they are readily visible. As the range decreases, the LOD changes, and they become nearly invisible until they move a few hundred meters closer.

Is there any way to improve the transition? Thanks!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavagai View Post
I have Clod settings figured out so that I get a good framerate over land. However, I had to reduce my resolution to 1600x900. The only problem I have is the level of detail on other aircraft at certain ranges. At long range, they are readily visible. As the range decreases, the LOD changes, and they become nearly invisible until they move a few hundred meters closer.

Is there any way to improve the transition? Thanks!
See here:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...t=38700&page=2

This patch addresses visibility issues by adding reflection from aircraft wings and glass.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:12 AM
Approved Member

Thanks, but I already have that patch installed. It doesn't help with the specific issue I'm talking about.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Thanks, but I already have that patch installed. It doesn't help with the specific issue I'm talking about.
Your system may need to be upgraded it is a very demanding game requiring a 1.5 card

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 03-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Approved Member

I see the same LOD problem when I try it on my friend's machine with a 3gb card. It seems like a holdover issue that existed in 1946 as well.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I see the same LOD problem when I try it on my friend's machine with a 3gb card. It seems like a holdover issue that existed in 1946 as well.

My personal opinion on that is either the monitor or the pilot of original game. Not meant to insult anyone, but I have not had that problem so it could not be the game, but since the rewrite it is now a problem with the game.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5

Last edited by SlipBall; 03-20-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Approved Member

I have the same problem while running at 1920x1200, I dont think it has to do with anything else but the lack of proper AA.Swetfx dos improve the jaggies a bit but mid range lods look jagged as hell.I plan to upgrade to a 2560x1440 monitor partly because of this.Im also going to pgrade to a gtx 680 4gb edition so Ill be sure to compare when I get that.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 AM
Approved Member

presuming the new TF patch did not create new Lod problems ......

in the previous il2 series there were 3 lod models iirc, and over the yrs there were several errors with lod model designs for several planes. this meant some became nearly invisible at intermediate viewing distances (eg, at close distance the lod model is very large and hard to miss, and if the most distant lod model was active somewhere btw 1000 m and 1500 m it is/was less likely to be complained about because mosr people are concerned about SA of more nearby planes in the 1000 m danger zone surrounding them)

i dont know if anybody has directly examined the lod models in CoD to see if CoD contains similar errors

all of this of course is presuming people in CoD are using the correct FoV setting for their monitor size (and monitor viewing distance). with most people still mistakenly flying around 90% of the time with the widest (90) FoV, all ingame objects (like the distant planes you are searching for in the sky) can be shrunk in size by as much as 50% (meaning the lod model is much smaller then it should be and harder to spot)

imho the lod models in CoD need a closer look to exclude any design errors, AND the smaller lod models in cod (which uses 7 lod models per object iirc) need some visibility enhancements applied to them (discussed several times in other threads here in previous yrs), because right now these smallest lod models are focussed on still representing the shape of the aircraft/object correctly, but do not contain visibility-enhancements that might make them stand out sufficiently so distant visibility is more correctly simulating what you could/would see in a similar situation in real life.
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children

Last edited by zapatista; 03-21-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 AM
Approved Member

I made a rather long and boring YouTube on dot visibility in original Clod. It shows me, well really AI closing in on a dot first spotted at 9km. The point was to show that the dot remained in sight. If any watch this and say "what dot" why then you have a problem

may need a double click

Last edited by SlipBall; 03-21-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Approved Member

dot visibility (representing a distant aircraft for ex) has different issues from the LoD visibility problem. eg, the smallest most distant Lod model eventually transitions to a dot, and then for a specific further range stays as a dot until the dot eventually disappear. these dots stand out well against open sky, but not enough when viewed against a landscape/terrain background.

solutions for improving dot visibility (against a landscape terrain for ex) would be very different for what needs to be done to resolve the LoD visibility issue

for those currently having LoD visibility problems, make sure your monitor FoV is setup correctly first, after that you have a more accurate comparison to what it should look like in real life, and you can quantify the extent of the problem more easily
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children