Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Approved Member

Default Realistic.....Trouble landing a 109 !

Guy's I need your help.......

In realistic on training mode, a long lazy straight approach gets me on the deck ok.......BUT ...

In something like CTA...a wing over, steep approach drop onto airfield will more often that end up in a crash or speed way to fast !

This is what i find :-

Thottle back to 20-25%
Flare as much as possible before touch down.
As speed drops the control's become over responsive and hard to settle
Land to hard and wipe out ! OR touchdown ok but.....
Speed way to fast and cant stop in time (except Manston)
Go around again but I've let the Team down !

Its getting frustrating !!! What's the trick Superfly Guy's ?

Ps.....I know there are lots of Ac better for landing but that Yellow Nosed Hornet I would like to Master
Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBoar44 View Post
Guy's I need your help.......

In realistic on training mode, a long lazy straight approach gets me on the deck ok.......BUT ...

In something like CTA...a wing over, steep approach drop onto airfield will more often that end up in a crash or speed way to fast !

This is what i find :-

Thottle back to 20-25%
Flare as much as possible before touch down.
As speed drops the control's become over responsive and hard to settle
Land to hard and wipe out ! OR touchdown ok but.....
Speed way to fast and cant stop in time (except Manston)
Go around again but I've let the Team down !

Its getting frustrating !!! What's the trick Superfly Guy's ?

Ps.....I know there are lots of Ac better for landing but that Yellow Nosed Hornet I would like to Master
The trick I use on sim is to kick rudder in and keep the craft level. with the stick. Once speed has dropped enough then let go of the rudder and flair well.
In the dive, I tend to drop the gear and chop all throttle, I also don't dive over the runway - you need to give yourself space to pull out and get on the right bearing.

If still too fast on the ground then try using the rudder to wave along the runway. make sure the throttle is all the way back. if your using an Av8r stick I believe that there are brake problems, on the pad i think you need to hold the throttle back for the brakes, the same for the T.Master Hotas too.

Feel free to ask questions!

Edit: do you use PSN by the way?

Last edited by P-51; 02-24-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 02-25-2011, 04:55 AM
Approved Member

On realistic I line up then hold full brake and ease it down it takes practice especially with planes like 109's
Old 02-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Approved Member

Yeah thats the problem with landing on Realistic. Because you have no landing flaps like in sim (real life 109 has leading edge slats aswell) you are forced to land at a much higher speed than the plane was built for to avoid stalling, and you get none of the flap's drag to help slow you down either, you need a much longer run up to the runway or you need to use some agressive rudder to create extra drag.
I would say practice landing the 109 on sim because I find its much easier. The 109 doesn't have the horrible 30mph tip over on sim.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 02-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Approved Member

it depends on the airfield a lot of times. the shorter ones in a fast ac like a 109 or a spit you will be hard pressed to pull that off close to the strip and get stopped. try a 153 first and then move up to other ac.

but here are a few things i do to air to drop speed. after rolling and beginning the dive i drop gear, dump the throttle....fire my guns if i need to shave some speed. most of all the CTA i have done have been in sim and there are a lot of planes in that mode that will let you slip them once you are on final. nose down slightly, full ( or almost full ) opposite rudder and aileron. i never tried to slip one in realistic so dont know if it works.

once on the ground i hold the stick all the way back until i get around the high 30s...then i let it go slack. seems a bunch of planes give you a nose dip @ 30mph...i get ready for that and pull the stick gently when it does. since i dont have brakes...i shoot my guns and wag rudder to drop speed.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Approved Member

hmmmmmm give you're self a decent run into start, touchdownas early as possible, use Manston air field massssses of room. As mentioned use other aircraft, the Blenheim is decent to land.

as you're playing realistic what veiw are you playing, 3rd person i.e outside???? this can help as you can gauge how close to the ground you are, if cockpit try 3rd person the move back to the cockpit once you're confident. the spit is a tricky aircraft to land so you can try that aswell once mastered you will land B17's onto hawinch no probs lollol

also, defo hammer the guns on as you get it on the deck.

hope this helps if you're struggeling add me if you're on the PSN, my user name is the same as here, can arrange a free flight with you and see what we can do
Old 02-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Approved Member

Edit: do you use PSN by the way?[/QUOTE]

Yes PSN is the sysyem i use.....as forum name

Guys thanks for your help , deffo works better with those tips , I have had a few "nose overs" now.....never knew that could happen !

Tried on training a combo of all your pointers and even had 4 go arounds without crashing

I generally use 3rd person view.... need to build up the confidence to use cockpit.....shame that the 109 does not have one

Thanks for your help in my journey from an A**se to an Ace

See you on the Deck......one peace i hope !
Old 02-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Approved Member

good go WB,

each plane is a little different. some you can chop the throttle on final...some you have to goose the gas a bit. in cockpit or VC when you get close to the ground ... raise your nose slightly above the horizon. that will give you a nice flare and set you down like a landing on a pillow. IF you bounce...goose the gas just a bit and re-establish your glideslope..then chop it again and land ...if you have the room. if not kick it in the ass and go around. just takes practice. would be interesting if the game could factor in a cross wind
Old 06-27-2011, 07:08 PM
Approved Member

Default Update

Sunday 26th June......CTA Realistic......landing in a Bf109-G6.......fully sideways on max right rudder....keeping the opposite wing from touching down.......flare.....flare....."Touchdown"........ ..

Perrr....ting......little logo TV screen......Trophy 50 succesfull landings in Realistic..........

Thanks for your help Guy's....that Trophy made me smile

Now does..... 350+ ripped off under carriage legs....400+ crashes get me another Trophy !!!!

P.S....the easy one of the lot to land for me......La5 / La7.....real nice manners
Old 06-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Approved Member

Congratulations!

Personally, I think that the La's, Fw's, 262 and Hurricane all land well. But then I've had a fair few hours trying to land these in really odd places. Or using the 262 as a tank on the ground, shooting at the other 262's on the ground. Such fun!